setting up a new tent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorickyourself

Reaction score
Ran a heavy duty extension cord like 9/2 something in that catogary.lts ment to be burried,but the weather or ground says different.With the snow ,had to clear a back pin for my dogs,so being the smart person l am:eek: lifted the snowblower so it would not catch.Well as you can guess snowblower won! that cord is running my 2 600wat,snowblower was not high enough,Had to hot patch them,what a mess took til 6.30 pm.Have a sub panel in a dog house l do not use that's why l am going with the cord on its own breaker or fuse.They say the grass is greener on the other side bull l say!My old 4x4 was or is dialed in pretty good! Just thought it would bring a smile!!!:p

That $h!t happens man, but it totally sucks when it does. I would be about replacing it with the proper stuff as soon as you can because heavy duty extension cord isn't heavy enough copper wire. They call it heavy duty because it has heavy insulation but the wire itself is still a 12-14guage. You need 8-10guage exterior use wiring. to carry the surge current without heating up. The snow over the chord right now will actually help to keep it cool. :)

It's the same wire a electi used to hook the sub panel up with which is a 40.So when he was doing that he made up these extension cords.Cost a arm,but worth it,until !!Have a good one!!Rick

Hushpuppy said:
That $h!t happens man, but it totally sucks when it does. I would be about replacing it with the proper stuff as soon as you can because heavy duty extension cord isn't heavy enough copper wire. They call it heavy duty because it has heavy insulation but the wire itself is still a 12-14guage. You need 8-10guage exterior use wiring. to carry the surge current without heating up. The snow over the chord right now will actually help to keep it cool. :)

Not necessarily true. You can get heavy gauge extension cords--we use them all the time in plumbing. It isn't just the insulation that is heavy duty. We ran either 8 or 10 gauge when we had to run 100' or more. I still like using a 10 gauge cord with high amp tools like 1/2" drills.

(Psst Hushpuppy, remember rule #1 in the site rules)

I did not realize that they made extension cords in 8 or 10 guage wires :eek: I have never seen any like that which were "extension cords". The heaviest I have ever seen was 12guage.

Rick; If he made up one from the heavy wiring then you are good-to-go. I have done that plenty of times. I have also used a section of Romex to make a looped "stirring whisk" for mixing my nutes. It worked great until LEO took it.

THG; What'd I do? :huh:

Oh :eek: I found it. I won't use that word anymore, although I heard a comedian say that word and a few others shouldn't be considered curse words. I cannot remember his name though but I can see his face when he was saying it. :)

Hush!Thanks for looking in on my whatever you what to call it!!Merry Xmas to ya!!!! Smoke a lot its good for ya!!:D Rick

Hushpuppy said:
Oh :eek: I found it. I won't use that word anymore, although I heard a comedian say that word and a few others shouldn't be considered curse words. I cannot remember his name though but I can see his face when he was saying it. :)

LOL--I use that word all the time myself, but, you know that is not a swear word if you are a plumber. :giggle: However, I do try and keep it "cleaner" for those who are not plumbers.

I have had these cords for so long that I can't remember where I got them. But all tradespeople who use large amp tools know to use large enough gauge wire.

The Hemp Goddess said:
LOL--I use that word all the time myself, but, you know that is not a swear word if you are a plumber. :giggle: However, I do try and keep it "cleaner" for those who are not plumbers.

I have had these cords for so long that I can't remember where I got them. But all tradespeople who use large amp tools know to use large enough gauge wire.

Plumbers vocabulary can make any ol'seadawg blush :D and thats before we started some mornings. It's the days when right as you head out for the office the phone rings. You look at the caller ID #$@%$#%@ it's the boss, you know I mean you know it's a emergency call. So you headed to a job with if, IF your lucky it's clean water to wade,walk or crawl thru. I will not go into the worst thing we get the "fun" of having to got thru some times.:eek:

I never figured why you take one , when you actually leave it behind?:confused2:

George Carlin was the comedian who gave the list of swear words that shouldn't be counted as such.

Yeah mechanics are some who use lots of swear words. I have always heard the old saying that if your ears burn it means someone is talking about you. If that were true, design engineers everywhere would be bursting into flames from their ears every day :eek:
THG; :aok:

Latest posts

Back