Sexing In veg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

woodydude

One area that still puzzles me and I can't seem to get a grip of is sexing plants while still in veg.

I have had a White Widow show me his balls while in veg but no other plants out of around 30 I have grown from seed.

P1040335.JPG

P1040336.JPG

P1040337.JPG

This is a Darkstar around 5 weeks since it showed a shoot from seed (Dinafem regular, attitude freeby). It is around 23" tall and as you can see is showing alternatig nodes.

I am prety sure this is a female as those new growth shoots look like female flowers. Is this what is called a pre-flower? If not, what other characteristics should I be looking for.

All 3 pics are of the same plant to try and give as many views as I can.

Any help appreciated as always.
Peace W

Checkout this pic I found online..

onlinepot.org/grow/_derived/sexingclones.htm_txt_Preflowe.gif

Good shot of female pre flowers....

The places where you have your thumb looks just like regular new growth to me--nothing at all to show sex. You are looking for 2 white hairs. However, in the 2nd pic on the node above your thumb on the left hand side it looks like that could be a hair?

I generally never have plants show sex until 6 weeks or so.

In those pics its hard for me to tell if they have alternating nodes or are just starting. I have some right now that took forever to show sex and were at least as tall as yours. I think (JMO) that what yu are showing is just leaf shoot growth. I took a couple of pics from my books to show some insight on this I hope it helps.:) I circled the important parts that are the calyxes with the twin white hairs. Also my book says that the calyx on the male will be raised on a little stalk while the female calyx stays down against the node.

judging preflower1.JPG

judging preflower2.JPG

yeah Im with THG...I see a hair ...:yay:

congrats my friend

take care and be safe:48:

Thanks guys.
I have to say, I have never noticed the pistils & hairs before in veg! I did a count back and I think I am around 200 plants grown.

The important part is I now know what I am looking for, pistils & hairs, I have seen them in flower of course but never veg. Hey ho, its off to grow I go!!! lol

woodydude said:
Thanks guys.
I have to say, I have never noticed the pistils & hairs before in veg! I did a count back and I think I am around 200 plants grown.

The important part is I now know what I am looking for, pistils & hairs, I have seen them in flower of course but never veg. Hey ho, its off to grow I go!!! lol

That why I always say I learn at least one new thing each grow...always a learning experience and I love it.

I didn't see anything yet.Nothing like this pic.But the way the branches look to be setting up I would lean towards female.Time will tell.

sexy 001.JPG

I just had 4 ak-48 show early also. 3 males showed at week 3 and 1 female at week 4. I have heard the males will usually show first. I looked I swear at million pics and now I feel confident in my sexing abilities. I can't see anything in 1 and 3. In pic 2 it could be a hair but I can't tell if it is maybe a stipule showing from the other side. I had that happen to me a few times when I was looking. I'd get excited and then look at the other side and it was the stipule that I was seeing through the crotch.:confused2: I just saved the pic and zoomed in really close and I'm really sure that it is the stipule. It is green for sure. The hairs will be very white. Sorry.

Thanks again guys.
I looked over the plant very carefull now I know what I am looking for and there are no pistils showing.
I took some cuttings 2 days ago and have decided to throw it into flower tomorrow. It is extremely robust and much stronger and bigger than the other seed cracked at the same time, at least double the size which had me worried it was a male. I guess I will see in a week or so.

I will update once I know for sure.
Peace W

Latest posts

Back