Sheep Alert PSA!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1679153269643.png

Speedy Gonzales cousin Slow Poke
Did you know the song he sings is about weed.

For those of us that grew up with Speedy Gonzalez and remember his cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez, it is somewhat astounding to look back and realize that Slowpoke was actually singing a song about marijuana. What is even more strange, is that there were several “kid friendly” versions of the song that were sung where the last line was replaced with something more benign, but for some reason, the makers of this cartoon allowed Slowpoke Rodriguez to sing the unmistakable reference to weed in a cartoon. For kids. Riiiiiiiight.
See for yourself in the “Sowpoke Rodriguez – Mexican Boarders” episode

Warner-Bros.-recupera-al-iconico-Speedy-Gonzales.jpg
6c00ea9cee3ec612be0db985ca35a721.jpg

For those of us that grew up with Speedy Gonzalez and remember his cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez, it is somewhat astounding to look back and realize that Slowpoke was actually singing a song about marijuana. What is even more strange, is that there were several “kid friendly” versions of the song that were sung where the last line was replaced with something more benign, but for some reason, the makers of this cartoon allowed Slowpoke Rodriguez to sing the unmistakable reference to weed in a cartoon. For kids. Riiiiiiiight.

View attachment 322461View attachment 322462
LOL! I think he says ‘marijuana que fumar’…

Are you referring to Jay North as Dennis the Menace? I can’t remember the name of the elephant on that Saturday morning special I think most of what I grew up on was a local New York channel and not broadcast nationwide.

View attachment 322461View attachment 322462
Can't do speedy anymore, probably considered racist. Remember when they took away "Sugar Pops Pete? " He had pistols with candy cane barrels. When he "shot" the bad guys with sugar from his canes. Then, they would turn sweet and be nice. Banned for violence. What a load of bull. For some while Tom and Jerry had to place nice, no violence between cat and mouse. Nope.

Bubba

Latest posts

Back