Shopper bitten by rattlesnake in Walmart

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggyross

ziggyross
Reaction score
By msnbc.com staff and news services
SALMON, Idaho -- When Mica Craig reached down to brush what he thought was a stick off some mulch in the garden section of a Washington state Walmart, it turned around and sank its fangs into his hand.
The Friday encounter with a rattlesnake sent Craig, 47, to the hospital, where he said he remained in excruciating pain and may lose feeling in two fingers. Wal-Mart Stores Inc has apologized.
"I reached down to grab the stick to move it out of the way, and the snake stretched out, turned around and got its fangs in my right hand," he said. "I slung it off and I did a tap dance on it until it was dead."
Craig was rushed to the hospital by fellow customer Maria Geffre, who told Reuters she saw him crumple to the ground after crying out that he had been bitten by a snake.
"He had punctures on his hand and there was the dead rattler he'd stomped on," Geffre said, describing the snake as at least a foot long with four buttons, or rattles.
Craig, a married father of two, said the mulch was for his marijuana plants, which he is licensed to grow for medical reasons. It was unclear whether the snake came from an adjacent field or arrived at the store along with garden supplies.
"It's the most scared I've ever been in my life," Craig told KIRO FM from his hospital bed in Lewiston, Idaho. "I was screaming bloody murder through the parking lot."
'Isolated incident'
Craig said emergency room doctors sent him home because there was little swelling initially - he had iced the wound - and they thought the snake had inflicted only a "dry bite," or one that did not inject venom.

But his hand quickly swelled up to "the size of a grapefruit," Craig told KIRO, and he returned to the hospital. Doctors treated him with six bags of anti-venom, Craig said.
"As of right now, my little finger doesn't move at all and my ring finger barely moves," he said according to KIRO. "I'm just hoping that my hand works."
A Walmart spokeswoman offered an apology to Craig and said the retailer was looking into how the incident could have happened at the store in Clarkston, in eastern Washington.
"At this point, it appears to be an isolated incident. We are working with a pest management team, which is conducting a sweep of the property to ensure there is no additional rattlesnake activity," Walmart spokeswoman Kayla Whaling said.
Travis Taggart, director of the Center for North American Herpetology, said about half of documented rattlesnake bites, which are usually defensive when directed at humans, are "dry" but still cause severe pain.

That's what he gets for shopping wal-mart for medical marijuana grow supplies. LOL

drfting07 said:
That's what he gets for shopping wal-mart for medical marijuana grow supplies. LOL
:yeahthat:

My thoughts exactly!

I have a China Mart 1 1/2 miles from the house. I've been twice in 4 years.:ignore:

Wet

Be bit a ***** yual askin me. Said he be calapsin on floor? been bit twice by Masissauga rattlers makin yual sick fur sure but aint to kill ya ifin yur healthy. May I suggest stayin healthy ifin yual plannin to poke to timber and log the wood. There will be snakes!

BWD

id have walmart pay for taxidermy of the snake....

I seen this article and didnt see anywhere that he mentioned Marijuana...and dont feel this qualifies for the "Marijuana news" section...

4u2sm0ke said:
I seen this article and didnt see anywhere that he mentioned Marijuana...and dont feel this qualifies for the "Marijuana news" section...

4U2 Craig, a married father of two, said the mulch was for his marijuana plants, which he is licensed to grow for medical reasons.

I didnt see that....I seen the video and still didnt see...looks like he will get bit from more then just a snake then eh?

LOL--what a doughhead. He was certainly in the wrong line when they were passing out brains.

Latest posts

Back