Shouldn't Willie Be Left Alone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LdyLunatic

i wanna be cool too!
Reaction score
Arizona -- Who was shocked when Willie Nelson was busted for marijuana possession? Go on raise your hand. So here goes Willie Nelson, ironically straight out of a rally for Texas gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman where Nelson called for the decriminalization of marijuana and he's popped for weed and mushrooms in Louisiana.
State Police seized about 1-1/2 pounds of marijuana and two-tenths of a pound (91 grams) of mushrooms from the bus and gave everyone aboard a ticket.

It could have been worse. Basically he got a citation and was sent on his way.

E! Online reports that before the bust, the Farm Aid founder and his band were in his native Texas to headline Saturday's Austin City Limits Music Festival. Nelson gave an interview there in which he urged politicians to scrap criminal penalties for pot possession.

Those sentiments echoed the platform of his pal Friedman, a singer-songwriter turned politician who's mounting an independent bid for Texas governor and has called on the decriminalization of marijuana to help clear clogged state prisons of nonviolent offenders.

Nelson has actively supported Friedman's candidacy, hosting a $1,000-per-plate fundraising dinner and signing a petition to get Friedman on the ballot.

"The hundred times that Kinky and I have talked during his campaign--we talked about energy, health, biodiesel, immigration, war--and the pot thing has never come up. Of course, I felt always that I knew where Kinky stood on that, and he knew where I stood, but I also knew that it was very risky to bring that out politically, but what’s Kinky got to lose?" Nelson said.

What do either have to lose? Certainly a good guess is that at anytime you could pull a Willie Nelson tour bus over and find marijuana on board.

Country superstar Toby Keith's said in a recent interview on his fan favorite tune, "Weed with Willie," in which he sings "Don't knock it `til you tried it, I tried it my friend, and I'll never smoke weed with Willie again."

"I learned that a long time ago," Keith replied with a laugh when asked if he avoided Nelson's trailer during filming "Broken Bridges" in Georgia. "But I think Burt (Reynolds) slipped over to Willie's trailer."

So - it's obviously no surprise - but shouldn't we just leave Willie Nelson alone? Why should anyone care if a 73-year old wants to smoke weed?

He's working during his retirement - certainly he's earned it.

Source: National Ledger (AZ)
Author: Jackson Simpson
Published: September 20, 2006

Latest posts

Back