Shriveled leaves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
Fellow Growers,

My clones are fine until I plant them in soil.
Then a few of them have their leaves shrivel up and the plants die...?
Does leaving plants once planted in dirt, in the light 24 hours {like a clone} cause this problem?
...Or... is my old, used soil the problem?

Thank you...

Poet...

Most likely is that you need to give them more time to harden off, or acclimate to dry air. Towards the end of cloning, crack the dome a little more each day.
Also you can try an anti transpirant. Wilt-pruf is a cheap one that has been around forever.
Once you plant, keep them in pretty low light for a few days. If they start to droop, mist them. You can even split a plastic shopping bag and sort of gently lay it over them to help reduce water loss during the critical first few days.
Some wilting and leaf loss is pretty normal but you shouldn't lose more than the lowest set of leaves during the transition.
Slow and patient is the way to go here!
I also prefer using a mild fresh dirt for new clones. I don't think your issue is CAUSED by your soil per se, but I'll bet it ain't helping.

Are you using a medium to clone or are you doing bubble or aero cloning? I find that if I clone in Rapid Rooters I have little to no shock when taking from the cloner and planting. I, also, would use new soil.

Stinky attic...

My cloner has clones of many different dates. Some can have fresh air
and others can't... I was stumped till I realized I could have the same effect...
"To acclimate to dry air" if I took clones showing roots and let them sit outside the dome for an hour every day, then put them back, simple.

I'll make a run to the store for fresh soil too.
Thank you so much...

Poet...

Latest posts

Back