Sick Irishman denied entry to Ireland with medicinal cannabis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
A seriously ill Irishman living in the Netherlands has said he's preparing to end his life after losing a further bid to return home carrying medicine containing cannabis.

Noel McCullagh (35), who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2006, has not been able to visit his parents, Michael and Ann, in Ballinasloe, Co Galway, after being repeatedly warned that he will face a drugs charge if he attempts to enter the State with his medication, which is on prescription from a Dutch doctor.

"I don't want anything more to do with Ireland," Mr McCullagh said last night. "The Irish authorities write to me every single year in December to tell me I'm not going home. I'm preparing my euthanasia now."

Mr McCullagh, a postman with Royal Dutch Mail, has lived and worked in the Netherlands for more than a decade. He has repeatedly missed Christmases and birthdays with his family because of the intransigence of the government stance.

EU Ombudsman Nikiforos Diamandouros said Mr McCullagh's plight had "deeply touched" him but he referred his case back to the Irish authorities.

"Although the law and institutions of the EU are unable to provide a solution, I am not aware of anything that would prevent the Irish authorities from exercising discretion, on humanitarian grounds, to allow you to visit your family whilst continuing to take palliative prescribed for you in the Netherlands," Mr Diamandouros wrote in a letter to Mr McCullagh.

The ombudsman said it was up to his Irish counterpart and the Irish Human Rights Commission to decide on the matter.

Independent TD Luke 'Ming' Flanagan, who advocates the legalisation of cannabis, said it was "only fair" Mr McCullagh should be allowed back home without fear of arrest.

"This shows the kind of hysteria that surrounds this subject," Mr Flanagan said.

"Even when a person wants to use (cannabis) to treat his symptoms, the Government jumps up and down about it. It's a pity they wouldn't be as urgent about Michael Lowry and the likes."

Mr McCullagh, who has also worked as a journalist and rights campaigner, appealed to the European Commission for help in 2008, arguing that Ireland was restricting his free movement, a basic right guaranteed under EU law.

However, because Ireland has opted out of the so-called Schengen rules, governing visa and customs-free travel across the bloc, the commission said the Government was within its rights to arrest Mr McCullagh if he entered the State with the medicine.

The ombudsman came to the same conclusion after examining a complaint lodged by Mr McCullagh about the commission's handling of the case.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/6kuv6do

Sad, but just go to Ireland and pick up some stuff there... End your life??? He's got more problems than this. Yeah it's great press and whatever but not to visit family etc. cause you can't carry across the border is crazy. Have your family visit you and after they leave go see a psych doc cause you are seriously messed up...
BTW, I'd find some mj within an hour of landing there... and whatever else I needed, maybe a cute little Irish boy :)

The New Girl said:
Sad, but just go to Ireland and pick up some stuff there... End your life??? He's got more problems than this. Yeah it's great press and whatever but not to visit family etc. cause you can't carry across the border is crazy. Have your family visit you and after they leave go see a psych doc cause you are seriously messed up...
BTW, I'd find some mj within an hour of landing there... and whatever else I needed, maybe a cute little Irish boy :)

Have you known someone suffer from multiple sclerosis? It is something that was on a family members mind very often before she passed away. She was very bad towards the end.
It is a horrible thing to deal with especially if having to do it alone without family.
I doubt his parents can visit him otherwise there would not be this issue. I feel sorry for him, He is not asking to take actual plant over there, just medication containing cannabis.

Something a bit fishy here I think. Was diagnosed in 2006 but has lived in the Netherlands for a decade Just my opinion but I think someone is not telling the whole story. Besides taking ones life for the reasons he has given seem a bit foolish.

Jerico my elder bro has it real dab atm and i didnt until recent realise just how bad it was.
T4

How sick can he actualy be? He's a postman with the Royal Dutch Mail.

The New Girl said:

In the UK you can't just "pick up stuff there" as there is no stuff to pick up.

Weed on the street is unsmokeable and would be crap as medication for a guy with MS.

Cannabis is pretty poor quality on the streets in Ireland, you could not use it for any medical condition, you would have to know someone to get good quality Cannabis. I would let him stay no bother.

My dad worked right up until he was completely paralyzed from the waist down, working was the thing that kept him alive. He may be VERY sick, hard to tell and I'll not judge one way to the other!

Latest posts

Back