Sick plant...pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenBandit

Reaction score
it doesnt look like this guy is goin to make it...it's about 20 days old and lately i've noticed the leaves are starting to curl inwards, they're also starting to turn yellow...i think i over-watered it, was givin it about 2 cups every 4 days or so...anyone have any idea what the problem is from lookin at the pics??..yall agree its over-watering??...also do u guys think it will recover with careful nursing?

P1010009.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010008.JPG

hi green'....it does look alot like mag defficiency. Try foliar feeding with about 1/4 tsp of epsom saltz dissolved well in a quart of water. That should correct a mag problem, untill you can get some nutes to them roots.
I need to ask, is that coco fiber it's in?...Are you giving it any nutrients yet?..The medium looks nice and light 'n airy, but also looks totally void of anything with food value for your plant.
It really doesn't show overwater symptoms, look here..
Plant Abuse page

I agree with Hick...the soil looks devoid of nutrients and the plant is showing signs of it.

Is that wood on top of the soil or is your plants root in shreaded wood. Just keep in mind that dried wood will make you solution very aciditity and will cause nuke lockouts. If the PH ilevel is below 5.50 for long period time, this will cause a MAG deficiency.

Grim

I kinda think it looks like spider mites. Check under the leaves with a magnifying glass. If you see little yellow or white bugs moving around, you got mites. If not......What they said^^^

HICK : I need to ask, is that coco fiber it's in?...Are you giving it any nutrients yet?..The medium looks nice and light 'n airy, but also looks totally void of anything with food value for your plant.

yep the medium is called coco coir growing media, the package says that it contains nutrients, as this particular product is specifically for hydroponic growing...i just started fertilising last week as well.

The funny thing is that i have 3 plants all together and the other 2 are looking quite good, its just this one that is giving me problems. I've been doing everything the same with all 3 plants but in this particular plant i've been giving 2 cups of water instead of 1 because it's in a larger pot...so thats why i thought over-watering was the reason for its bad condition.

if one is lacking magnesium then how come the other 2 are fine?...i have noticed a slight curling of the leaves of the other 2 but no yellowing or anything...u guys still think i should try the magnesium??

Heres pics of the other 2 aswell....

3 weeks (1).JPG

3 weeks (3).JPG

plants 24.4.JPG

see in the second pic if u look closely the leaves are starting to curl inwards....is this something to be worried about guys?

hello bandit, does the coco fiber package list what the nute`s are and amounts?

looks like all of the plants are showing the same signs just more pronounced in the one.

have you checked ph if so what is it at?

from the limited information and the pictures i would have to say mag defficiency also, pending further information.

GreenBandit said:
see in the second pic if u look closely the leaves are starting to curl inwards....is this something to be worried about guys?

....I still feel you're short on magnesium. See the leaves "praying" ?..they're praying for some mag..;) IMO....I'd still like to see sme ph #'s, too, from your medium and your water. Coco fiber is something I've never worked with.

ok looks like i have to go out and get a pH tester...ill let yall know

You just answeed the question lol!!

If you haven't tested it, I garantee it's too high. Most tap water is around 7-8, by the time you add your nutes, it's probably higher. While you're at the store getting a PH tester, get some PH down while you're at it.

i always let my water stand in a open container for at least 24hrs before using it...does this help with controlling the pH levels in the water??

also do u guys think its possible to save this guy?..or is it too late??

Hick: 1/4 tsp of epsom saltz dissolved well in a quart of water.

sorry but im not familiar with how much a quart of water is...can someone tell me wats that in cups or mls??

...and the package of the medium im using only says it contains organic fertilisers and that its pH is 5.7-6.2

thanks again guys im determined to save this guy

Another quick question...i have to transplant the plants to bigger pots so i was thinking i would be better off just using a completely different medium that contains the appropriate nutrients... would this help the plants or shock them??...thanks in advance

hey bandit..sorry, a quart is .95 litres, and a tsp = 4.9 ml.

You might try a fish store or a pool/spa store for a cheap ph kit, if a meter is outta the question.
Setting water out overnight is good for dissapating chlorine, but I don't think it affects ph much.
What ratio are the N-P-K's at in the medium?...does it list the micro-nutes?..

contains organic fertilisers and that its pH is 5.7-6.2
....sounds good, (just a tad low for soil..IMHO) but something is amiss, me thinks.

Hick:What ratio are the N-P-K's at in the medium?...does it list the micro-nutes?..

had a good look at the packaging and nothin about NPK ratios, all it says is thats its 100% organic and it contains micro-organisms ...

how often u think i should use the epsom salt dilution for?

"Micro-organisms" aren't your main nutrients. They are micro-nutrients. You need to get some nutes.

Letting your water sit overnight only makes your PH stable (doesn't drift), you still have to adjust it.

well the nutrient solution im using contains the appropriate ratios of NPK as its specifically formulated for the vegative growth phase...thing is i first applied it about a week ago and over the past 7 days there has been significant changes in the appearance of my plants, which anyone can see in my thread in the 'Grow Journals' section of this board.

So now im starting to think that i either used too much nutrient solution or i waited too long (15days) to start applying nutrients to the plants.

what do u guys think??

..also i noticed that the nutrient solution i have contains no magnesium at all. . .is this unusual for a vegetative fertiliser? no phosphorus (P) either. The greater ratios of nutes come from nitrogen, potassium, and calcium - roughly equal amounts of calcium and nitrogen and a lesser portion of potassium...

i applied the epsom salt solution...can anyone tell me if i should do this on a regular basis? how often? or should it just be a one off thing to bring magnesium levels up?

thanks again

Latest posts

Back