Sick Plants... Overwatering Maybe ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixx

Reaction score
a1-750.jpga3-750.jpga2-750.jpg

These are about 3 weeks old... Being grown in a closet with plenty of fresh air and circulation... Currently 6 26W 2700K CFLs ( I know those are the wrong spectrum ) Temps are mid to upper 70s... FloraNova 1 part grow at 20ish% strength. and they are in MG seed starter. Ph is probably a little high, but I dont think its high enough to cause this (Maybe Im wrong). Best guess I could come up with from looking at sick leaf pictures and checking the stickies is over watering.

Any input appreciated.

Looks like lockout. MG anything is notorious for having funkiness. They do have a really high peat content and peat is known to be acidic ;).
I guess you could top dress with some powdered lime. takes a bit to kick in.
growing in 16 oz. cups your going to be overcoming a lot of challenges like this esp. using a synthetic fert. You will have to flush it several times over the course of the grow. I would flush with distilled water first. has 7.0 PH and it will get rid of any gunk build up. No telling what they put in their products.

When I start out a 16oz cup grow. I do topsoil, worm castings, perlite, powdered lime and coco coir. Worm castings give it some nitrogen lime gives it some Ca, and the top soil has some other stuff prolly banging around. Then I transplant into my final mix. I don't feel like posting it too long winded. LOL

Your problem could be trying to stuff a gallon of root into 16 ounces of Dixie cup.

woodydude said:
I would guess at Phosphorous (P) deficiency. My reason for saying that is the patches of brown on one or 2 leaves.
I had a look at Hick's thread http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1956 on disorders and I think it could be.

Also, the pics on p deficiency here http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54233 look similar to what you have.

Green mojo. W
Yepp, I looked at those same pics... I have pulled 1 of the 7 and watered with plain Ph'd water (6.0)...we'll see if that helps.

PencilHead said:
Your problem could be trying to stuff a gallon of root into 16 ounces of Dixie cup.

Even less. The cups look to be only a third full of media. So it's about an 8" plant in about 5 ozs of MG soil for 3 weeks.

My suggestions are:

1. Transplant into a container of at least one gallon of dirt that has no nutrients in the soil at all. 3 gallons or even 5 gallons would even be better and prevent you from having to transplant again later.

2. Use a quality soil nutrient that is a good pick for soil grown MJ and use it exactly as the package directs.

3. Trim off any leaf that is 50% dead or more.

4. Increase your lighting to at least 3,000 lumens per/sq ft of canopy area if the plants are all gathered together to *just* touching.

5. Water every time with the pH'd nutrient water and make sure you have very good drainage. Measure the runoff for pH.

Do all that and the plants will recover and prosper.

If it is in MG Seed Starter then it is not the soil....that is the only MG soil without time release ferts in it. I have been using it for over 2 years now without a single problem.

Looks like a ph problem to me. 6.5 in soil is golden for me....jmo

Hamster Lewis said:
If it is in MG Seed Starter then it is not the soil....that is the only MG soil without time release ferts in it. I have been using it for over 2 years now without a single problem.

Looks like a ph problem to me. 6.5 in soil is golden for me....jmo
Hamster... Whats the Ph of your solution BEFORE you water. It appears to me the Ph is going up in the soil... and my water is already high out of the tap. I PH down to 6.0 out of the tap... added a low dose of nutes, and watered... I have a cheap PH, and moisture meter for soil... But Im not convinced the Ph reading is accurate, or even working at all...the moisture meter works very well tho...I'll keep it just for that if nothing else. Im guessing I might need to Ph down even lower before I water as someone said the MG has alot of peet in it, which will raise the Ph.
Thoughts ?? __________________

i think you should ph only after the nutes in the water ... that is what i do ... usually ferts ( at least the brand i use ) drop a lot the ph.

Sixx from your last post it sounds like you are using one of this two prong soil meters to test the ph....that is the problem I think. Those meters don't work well at all....at least for ph. I have used one before with horrible results. First off they read the ph of the soil not the liquids you prepare to put in the soil. The water and feed need to be ph'd to between 6.3-6.8 before being added to the soil. Those meters don't read liquids at all and they are pretty bad at reading soil ph as well.

Google eseasongear....they have the correct meter for about 25 bucks.

This is the meter I am talking about that doesn't work well at all.......

Moisture_Light_PH_Meter_Hydroponics_Soil_10024348.jpg

Yepp... That is what I have... It seems Ok for checking moisture, but Im 100% convinced the Ph reading is worthless.
I saw the milwaukee Ph600 on the site you recommended HL... The meter and the solution are available for $33... Will that work ?, and I could use that for my DWC just the same yes ??

Sixx said:
Yepp... That is what I have... It seems Ok for checking moisture, but Im 100% convinced the Ph reading is worthless.
I saw the milwaukee Ph600 on the site you recommended HL... The meter and the solution are available for $33... Will that work ?, and I could use that for my DWC just the same yes ??

Yes I had that meter for over a year...it worked well for me. And yes the ph meter will work for your dwc....make sure to calibrate the meter regularly. I do mine every two weeks.

Hamster Lewis said:
Yes I had that meter for over a year...it worked well for me. And yes the ph meter will work for your dwc....make sure to calibrate the meter regularly. I do mine every two weeks.

Right on...Ordering tonight... Thx

iv had over watering probs b4!! a good way to tell when to water is the weight of yer pot nice and light good for some lil bit heavy leave it day or 2 more// yours kinda looks like mine did when i was over watering the medium is to wet witch restricts yer roots from takeing in wot it needs[lock out] hope this helps//peace

Yeah, those meters are only any use as a guideline to acidic/alkaline soil, not accurate to the decimals;)

Latest posts

Back