side effects of marijuana during pregancy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skunk

Reaction score
hey guys subject i havent been interested till now . my friends girlfriend smoked during last pregnancy and had a seemingly healthy boy till 5 months later he died unknown cause (sids) . now in her 8 month carrying a little girl she is smoking weed again . and my reply to her was i aint no doctor but i firmly believe thc is hard on a newborns heart because of mother blood is pumping though the ambilical cord straight to its heart and could cause premature labor or still born from heart stoppage . but like i said im no doctor and just got out of woods from hunting and too tired too google it . any disagreements on what i think welcome . but would appreciate any further info i can get.

Hey Skunk-

I look at it this way, and it's just my opinion...

Whatever a pregnant woman takes into her body that baby is going to get. I quit a 2 pack a day smoking habbit when I was pregnant with my 1st. I didn't drink either. Think how these chemicals effect a 150lb human compared to a fetus weighing a few ounces. So many vital organs developing. Why would anyone want to jeopardize that?

I am sad that she is unable to stop smoking pot. In the grand scheme of things, it's only 9 months to give up. Heck, her infant died. Wouldn't she want to do all the could to help to achieve a healthy child?

(I don't know how often she smokes. I would think maybe once or twice in 9 months would probably be okay, but it sounds like she's smoking a lot more frequently then that.)

listen to smokinmom; excellent post. she is a mother. ever hear of fetal alcohol poisoning? thats when the mother drinks thru her prenancy. same for any drug. heroin moms pass it on. therefore mj passes on too.

I'd say before making any quick judgments. There are documented things regarding MJ and High-Risk pregnancies. Only if it is eaten and not smoked. Here is a link...but many many more out there.

The little I could find that described the actual effects on a fetus of a mother’s smoking cannabis claimed that there was little to no detectable effect, but, as this area was relatively unstudied, it would be unethical to call it “safe.” I later discovered that midwives had safely used marijuana in pregnancy and birth for thousands of years. Old doctors’ tales to the contrary, this herb was far safer than any of the pharmaceuticals prescribed for me by my doctors to treat the same condition. I confidently continued my use of marijuana, knowing that, among all options available to me, it was the safest, wisest choice.
http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/marijuana.html

With our last baby, my wife quit all smokin thru the first 5 months of pregnancy. After that she started back on pot at small amounts and smoked it thru the end of pregnancy. Today we have a very happy and healthy 3 year old little girl. Shes was saying her ABC's at 18 months, and today can write half of the alphabet. We researched it lots and mentioned it to our doctor. All things pointed to, it was safer then smoking Cigs and I know plenty of moms that did that thru pregnancy.

I dont suggest it, but thats my experience on the issue.

I know that if my girlfriend or wife was pregnant i wouldn't wan't them to do anything that would harm the baby including smoking cigs, smoking weed, drinking and so on. Man have you ever seen a freaking CRACK BABY now that is some sad stuff right there.

mutt; that really pisses me off, you cite 1 case of a woman who uses mj to gain weight thru her pregnancy in that link. how about the other 999/1000 that did not have any problems and happily puffed on "a couple of joints" a day or more. wanna know what those satistics are? im not going any futher with this cause i dont really care - its not my baby.

1 thing i will say; during the "dirty thirdies" my parents' friends often had to resort to beer because human, cow or goat milk was not available for infants. the babies were all healthy and all grew up to become RAGING ALCOHOLICS or the 50's and 60's. enough said - you get my drift.

I read in an article one day, I cant remember the site but I was reaserching the BC Vaporizer, and came accross a medical document that said all that smoking mj during pregnancy does is lower the birth weight by up to 3.2lbs. It stated that there were no other side affects. It was refering to a pregnant woman that smoked 2-3 joints a day during pregnancy not a heavy smoker.

My daughters mom quit smoking cigs when prgegnant but continued smoking about an 8th of mj a day. My daughter was 2 weeks late and weighed 7lb 13oz. She was very healthy. Today she is 6 and very smart, She has a bit of an attitude but so do her mother and I so I don't think that would have anything to do with mom smoking Mj.

astra007 said:
mutt; that really pisses me off, you cite 1 case of a woman who uses mj to gain weight thru her pregnancy in that link. how about the other 999/1000 that did not have any problems and happily puffed on "a couple of joints" a day or more. wanna know what those satistics are? im not going any futher with this cause i dont really care - its not my baby.

1 thing i will say; during the "dirty thirdies" my parents' friends often had to resort to beer because human, cow or goat milk was not available for infants. the babies were all healthy and all grew up to become RAGING ALCOHOLICS or the 50's and 60's. enough said - you get my drift.

Yes, but Fetal Alcohol syndrome has been researched. It has been proven. My point is...why disspell this without any research. I get pissed off at societies blind eye. Basing concepts to health matters without research, but willing to pump chems from pharm. companies into people.
I remember getting asprin for fevers and headaches as a kid..then all of a sudden Rhyes Syndrome. Get my drift.
Comparing alcohol to MJ? Two seperate things in my mind.

thanks for your replies didnt mean to stir up the beans. just trying to get my friend to be more of a responsible friend to his lady and father to his unborn child. i just cant help to feel like if the woman carrying the fetus is high then so is the fetus and keeping in mind that if a fetus has some kinda undetectable heart problems in the 1st place like a (irregular heart beat) then it could make it worsen or even stop .but thats just my thoughts . i would not let my olady do anykinda drugs during pregnacy. even though the thought of marijuana being a natural herb i would not give it to a pregnant woman till scientist proved facts to me that it would not be harmful. but im also the type that wouldnt let woman take asprin for a headache while pregnant.

My friend, and neighbor had a child last feb and she smoked both cigarettes (she eased off and stopped and started. Basically a weak woman.) and pot. She was laying off the cigarettes, and started smoking more pot. I don't know exactly how much she smoked, but he always has a half pound or there abouts, so you get the point... their baby is fine now. She is healthy and responsive. I guess it depends on the health of the child and genetics.

On that note...Thread closed.
Think everyone has made there point. no use beatin a dead horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back