side lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorgrower

Reaction score
My ladies are getting taller and wider with every passing day and my 400 watt MH grow light is not penetrating the canopy like it once was. My thinking is that I should get a couple of lights to go on the sides of my box. I am thinking about putting a single t5 fixture down low on each side of the box. Is this a good idea? If not could someone point me in the right direction on how to make sure the lower branches are getting the light they need? Thanks

Yes, it's a very good idea. Personally, I have a 400 watt hanging almost completely sideways to supplement my top lights, and the lower buds are definitely getting the light they need because of it. Obviously you'll have to figure out what fits best for your box since I have a little more space. I'm sure other readers will pitch in some good ideas.

More lumens = Fuller girls = More buddage :aok:

7ge;)

But t5's need to be very close to work properly, the question will be can you get them close enough to be affective and not block your main light in the process.

dman1234 said:
But t5's need to be very close to work properly, the question will be can you get them close enough to be affective and not block your main light in the process.

:yeahthat:

could also just trim the lower branches which in-turn gives u slightly bigger nugs on the remaining branches or next grow u could look into sog growing. Just some food for thought. I use a 400w in my 4x4 tent and i got ten plants going. I'll have some pics up later tonight of it if you wanna check it out

Thanks for the advice! Maybe trimming the bottom branches would be my best option. Ten plants in a 4x4 tent? That sounds awesome cant wait to check out the pics. Will they be posted in your journal MJ?

I find side lighting to be of very little benefit. Your plants need to be quite close to any fluoros to be effective. I would recommend stepping up to a 600W rather than buying side lighting.

Mjrivers--a 400W in a 4 x 4 tent is quite underlit.

I run a 600w and a 400w in my 4x4 tent. I tried just a 600w the very first run but found it wasn't covering the area that well.

I have a 2.5'x4' cabinet and I run 2 hps 250w and they are hanging in the top corners so that I have light coming from 2 directions. It seems to give good penetration and enough lumens, could probably do with a little more though.

Yea it is small but i bunch them in a 3x3 area. they're fine till i can buy a 600w. i trim the lower branches bc penetration is very low since they are bunched together. i trimmed 5 inches up most plants. helps in airing out the bottom too. I have a buddy that runs side lights and he swears by them but i dont think there is huge benefit.

securedownload (3).jpg

sry bout quality didn't feel like taking it out the tent haha

Just remember that lighting is one of the most important elements of the grow, good results require good lighting!

I completely understand but I just bought that light in march this yr n I wanna get the 600+w light but gotta wait on the funds.

I always remove ~30% undergrowth/sucker shoots for my bloomin' girls baskin' under the 1kwhps :hubba:, great for focusing growth upwards. :aok:

juniorgrower said:
My ladies are getting taller and wider with every passing day and my 400 watt MH grow light is not penetrating the canopy like it once was. My thinking is that I should get a couple of lights to go on the sides of my box. I am thinking about putting a single t5 fixture down low on each side of the box. Is this a good idea? If not could someone point me in the right direction on how to make sure the lower branches are getting the light they need? Thanks

Instead of one good light, and several shitty ones. (excuse my language)
It works much better just to use 2 lower-wattage good lights.

instead of 1 400w

try using 2 250w lights (obviously you'd need to vent them). It'll give you way better coverage.

In the Woods said:
Instead of one good light, and several shitty ones. (excuse my language)
It works much better just to use 2 lower-wattage good lights.

instead of 1 400w

try using 2 250w lights (obviously you'd need to vent them). It'll give you way better coverage.

I will have to say that I disagree with this one. The lower wattage lights do not have the penetration of the larger wattage bulbs and generally do not put out as many lumens per watt as higher wattages. With 2 250W fixtures you are expending 500W, but still getting really close to the same lumens a 400W HPS puts out--50,000. If he steps up to a 600W, that is only 100 more watts than 2 250W, but a huge increase in penetration and lumens--90,000.

juniorgrower said:
HG do you use hps lights for your grow start to finish?

No. I veg with HO T5 fluoro tubes. They emit about the same lumens per watt as a MH, but I believe there are some benefits to the T5s over the MH.

Latest posts

Back