Silica Blast?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bud88

Reaction score
A question for all of you growing organically.... My plants seem like they could use something to strengthen the branches to enable them to support more flowering weight...They have been getting their fair share of wind but they still seem wimpy....Maybe I am dreaming of monster buds and that isnt what the two girls will produce but if they do I would like to feel the branches could support them. :stoned:
The history of this grow is here in case of any questions...

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?p=889282#post889282

Has anyone used the Botanicare Silica Blast?

thx in advance!

I have not used silica blast. I have used a little straight silica in my potting mix. I don't know that it would work that fast as you are wanting.

You better support your plants with stakes.

I add silica to my water and nutrients. Plants seem to like it.

Adding any commercial proprietary brand is not 'organic' unless you live in the USA, where the meaning of 'organic' can mean anything ...so long as the CEO's can improve their quarterly returns....naturally at you plants expense...think hard

I have only needed physical support for 2 plants this year, and at both times have used the old standby, 4 inch re-enforcing mesh, and with that have to agree with my plants its just so embarrassing to see a mature tree not carry it expectant babies ....lol

Adding any commercial proprietary brand is not 'organic' unless you live in the USA, where the meaning of 'organic' can mean anything ...so long as the CEO's can improve their quarterly returns....naturally at you plants expense...think hard

I have only needed physical support for 2 plants this year, and at both times have used the old standby, 4 inch re-enforcing mesh, and with that have to agree with my plants its just so embarrassing to see a mature tree not carry it expectant babies ....lol

So are you saying that because I use Espoma and Botanicare products I am not growing organic? Or are you saying there are ways of adding Silica to my plants in another way?

I am saying that any commercial preparation claiming to be 'organic' is open to interpretation, ...its your definition of 'organic' is what the carpet bagger is hoping for ...go figure?

Dyna Gro Pro tek siliica supplement great stuff i use 2-3 ml every other watering helps build strong branchs and stems also its killer for heat stress in those hot summer days been using it for 5+ years will never go back to not using it

Dyna Gro Pro tek siliica supplement great stuff i use 2-3 ml every other watering helps build strong branchs and stems also its killer for heat stress in those hot summer days been using it for 5+ years will never go back to not using it

^^^^^THAT^^^^^

Much cheaper than Silica Blast too.

I've been using the Pro Tekt for almost as long, since 2009 anyway, and likewise will not go back to not using it.

Wet

It is even cheaper to just buy the Silica powder by the lb and mix your own.
I buy this for 16 bucks shipped to my door>>>http://www.kisorganics.com/products/shop/agsil-16h-potassium-silicate

Then I add 70 grams of it to 32 ounces of water and boom, you have made this for way way cheaper>>>http://www.dyna-gro.com/003.htm

Figure 1 pound is 453 grams. That means you can make 207 ounces for 16 bucks.

That's a little over 1 and a half gallons. 1 Gallon of Dyna Gro Pro-Tekt goes for 37 bucks on ebay and is probably more at grow stores.

hamster im lazy tho dont have all that time to mix stuff lol ill just pay a little extra

Note that silica is going to spike your pH pretty hard. Add it to your nute mix and let it sit for an hour or so and it'll drop some but you'll probably still want to pH down a bit. If you're growing indoor trees, you'll never get enough silica in there to make them stand alone--arbor them up.

Note that silica is going to spike your pH pretty hard. Add it to your nute mix and let it sit for an hour or so and it'll drop some but you'll probably still want to pH down a bit. If you're growing indoor trees, you'll never get enough silica in there to make them stand alone--arbor them up.

Interesting, reason being is I mixed up some "tea" using blacktrap molasses, Espoma Plant Tone(which was dissolved first),Botanicare Pure Blend Grow, and Silica supplement and after aerating for a few hours the pH was @ 6.5. What it did find is the rest my "tea's" pH dropped like a stone to 4.3 after sitting in the bucket areating for a day.
I figured the Silica was the culprit...but I guess not...
I tried to use Up to get it back to where I could use it but I used 3 times the recommended amount and it only came up to 4.7 so I dumped it and will start fresh next time....Anyone?

Silica will raise the ph not lower it....I mix my nutrients first then add the silica.

I tried to use Up to get it back to where I could use it but I used 3 times the recommended amount and it only came up to 4.7 so I dumped it and will start fresh next time....Anyone?

Firstly, I didn't know there was a "recommended amount" and in the past, I've used whatever it takes to get the PH where it needed to be. Never seen an issue with PH adjustment solution.

Secondly, do you PH test/calibrate the tester with 4.0 and 7.0 calibration solution once a month? I would recommend it. :aok:

Also, what brand (etc) PH tester you using?

Firstly, I didn't know there was a "recommended amount" and in the past, I've used whatever it takes to get the PH where it needed to be. Never seen an issue with PH adjustment solution.

Secondly, do you PH test/calibrate the tester with 4.0 and 7.0 calibration solution once a month? I would recommend it. :aok:

Also, what brand (etc) PH tester you using?

DGF,
It would have taken the entire quart to get this mix to come up. :shocked:
This stuff just wouldnt budge....40 ml raised it .2. Normally less than 1 ml will up the same mixture 1 pH.
I believe it was the tea that was the issue not the pH adjustment solution. Normally just aerating it overnight will bring it up into the range it needs to be...I mixed up a new batch and it was fine....now we will see what happens to what i didn't use when I check it tomorrow. If it happens again I will have to just mix enough for one feeding unless I can figure out what is causing it...Everything is organic so it may not have been an issue if I had used it..I do have lime in my soil to help buffer...but it was only 2 gallons worth so it fed the Rose of Sharon in my yard.

the meter is right because everything else I have been doing reacts to the UP and DOWN. I also had my friend bring his over and double check.
As far as what meter its a cheapie(dont even know the brand off hand) until I can get a BlueLab.
:48:

I used GHs Armor SI for the first time, found that at 100mls to 20 gallons, raised the ph so much, it took 35 mls of ph down to get it back

Why not?

Because the buds get big.;) I top and lollipop severely and the 4 top buds still get large. Home Depot has a break-away arbor thing outside on the end shelf with the green plastic-coated wire and the nice decorative stakes.

Question for the old growers: shouldn't worm castings have a decent amount of silica in them? I know worm farmers/ranchers/rustlers--whatever you call them--put silica in their worm beds.

I also use the Gro Tek stuff and my plants made it threw crazy heat stress lol
What's the Rhino skin like good stuff?

Latest posts

Back