Silica Gel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niteshft

Reaction score
Since this would be usefull for both indoor and out, I thought I would post it here since we can't have multiple posts.
IMG_0217 (800x533).jpg

I've heard of using silica gel to extend time between waterings as it will hold 100x it's weight in water, but have never used it myself. I think it would be better used for outside containers as the sun can bake out the moisture rather quickly as compared to indoors and some garden centers sell it for that purpose.

Gorilla grows come to mind as well since it can be difficult to bring water to some locations, ammending the soil with silica gel can mean life or death to a grow.

After doing some limited research I found the amount to use would be a tablespoon per liter and/or a handfull per gallon of soil.

Has anyone used silica gel to ammend thier soil and if so, what did you think of it.

Silica also increases uptake. IDK about the watering part. I use it in the form of rice hulls and cant tell you enough positives about them.

nouvellechef said:
Silica also increases uptake. IDK about the watering part. I use it in the form of rice hulls and cant tell you enough positives about them.

I believe this is different chef as you are using a plant product. I don't think the plant uptakes this form of silica and is used because it holds 100x it's weight in water and will release it back as the soil dries out.

From everything I have seen it mess up the wet/dry cycle MJ like to grow in and hurts overall growth and harvests amounts are low

niteshft said:
I believe this is different chef as you are using a plant product. I don't think the plant uptakes this form of silica and is used because it holds 100x it's weight in water and will release it back as the soil dries out.

Ahh. I guess I should of elaborated a bit more about silica if you are looking for water retention. Give me a sec they changed their website, but here is the link. There is a product to add to your mix that vastly holds water. My old man uses it. This is where I get most of my stuff.

hxxp://www.downtoearthfertilizer.com/fert_single.html

! thing to remember is Silica Gel is a manmade substance and the diatomite is a substance that has silica in it naturally.

Silica Gel is made from sodium silicate

I don't understand the detrimental effects of a wet/dry cycle when the plant can be grown hydro.

Why was this thread moved? I had it in "Coffee Table" because it was suitable for more than 1 catagory and thought it was best there.

In a hydro grow the water has a high DO(disolved Oxygen) and the roots are able to get plenty of oxygen. In soil you have to let the soil dry out so it will pull fresh oxygen rich air into it.

A mod probly thought this thread belonged in this subforum

I would think that the amount of pellets called for wouldn't put the soil in that condition. Or, you could adjust the amount according to the plants needs. The only way the soil would stay "wet" is if it rained very often, the pellets would be sparse enough to allow for natural drainage.

the silica gel pellets(I have used moisture crystals they are the same thing) keep a moisture in the soil at all times and do not let the air move thru it right.

ozzydiodude said:
the silica gel pellets(I have used moisture crystals they are the same thing) keep a moisture in the soil at all times and do not let the air move thru it right.

Aaaaaaa, gotcha.

Nuff said.

Wet

ozzydiodude said:

Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Ya got some of my rep going your way ozzy.

niteshft said:
I don't understand the detrimental effects of a wet/dry cycle when the plant can be grown hydro.

Why was this thread moved? I had it in "Coffee Table" because it was suitable for more than 1 catagory and thought it was best there.

Hydro goes through a 'wet 'n dry' cycle as well. ;) I tried them a few years ago, outdoors in holes. I personally didn't "see" any significant benefit from them.
It was moved 'cause it is a "cultivation" question/subject, and "I" felt it more appropriate here..:)

If you want to retain water, use what I linked. Practice on a smaller pot to see how much to use per gal. GL

Latest posts

Back