Simple Question about LED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wantstogrowbuds

Reaction score
May want to swap my HID lights for LED

How many watts of LED will it take me to achieve similar results to a 1000w HID lamp?

I want to cut down the risk of high light bills and heat.

Looking to yield up to 1.5 pound of herb.

I thought that was a simple question as well, good luck in getting answers, i'll be here waiting with you ;)

Good luck getten the truth. Lol what ever ya do,,,dont ask the Companies.

Too many variables. I still have no idea what would be equivalent to my 1K HPS, I just looked at the coverage patterns. They are very much more directional than HID. Other than that, the only things I'm really quite sure of is that the ventilation is much easier and I'm much more comfortable not having a streetlamp in my basement.
I thought I noticed better penetration and shorter node lengths. The wattage ratings of LEDs isn't what they draw either so you'll save on the bill there :)
The other thing I never hear mentioned is that you have to keep replacing those HPS and MH bulbs because they age and deteriorate (ducking and running for cover)

Going to LEDs is not going to save you money on electricity--it will cut down on the heat however. It was recommended to me by the only person I trust for info on LEDs) that I get 90W per sq ft. when shopping for LEDs. Beware that there is still a lot of hype (lying) out there by dealers and retailers as to what area a light will cover. Since they actually only use about 1/2 of the actual wattage, you should be using about the same amount of electricity.

Wow, perhaps I'll just stick to HID. Seems pretty expensive comparably. I guess i'll just stick with what works. I just kinda got a little paranoid watching a video on how to not get busted, it stated that these lights have a tendency to catch on fire, definitely can't have that in a duplex. I'm home a lot though so i'll just keep an extra careful eye to make sure everything is tight and no wires get on the floor.

What lights tend to catch on fire? HPS? Unless you are overtaxing your electrical system (which is easy to do with 1000W lights) or have something extremely flammable lying against the bulb, a 1000W light is way less of a fire risk than a lot of other appliances in your home--stove, dryer, toaster, blow dryers, etc, etc. Make sure that you are not over-amping your electrical system and you will be fine.

Pssst--don't believe everything you see in videos. This is what gets people busted:
#1 Telling other people. Everything else is minor compared to this, but includes not cleaning up growing debris, leaving growing supplies around, and not controlling odor.

THG i was in this discussion the other day, and we concluded that HPS with air cooled flexible duct can be hazardous because if a bulb explodes, the hot glass can actually penetrate the duct. i am unsure which member stated that experience of his, but it was someone trusty, and it kind of changed my mind about ever making my lights aircooled. i would love a feedback on that from you ;)

Yeah, we've been hashing this over lately. Hence my switch to LED's. Also, I'm drawing (actual draw) 1,000w less in power and have a much more versatile footprint, so you most certainly save money on electric. Also, the thing we've been hashing out.. the more I looked into it, the more I saw massive fire hazard potential. Sure, it's not LIKELY, but the potential is there. 500°+ bulbs in and enclosed space.. I just didn't like it.

I can't wait to see the first electric bill since the switch. Drawing 1,000w less is wonderful and I'm sure impactful. Also, less pulling on my ventilation, so the power draw is less there as well. It all adds up :)

*Not trying to go against the grain per say, just saying it how I'm seeing it lately* :aok:

May want to swap my HID lights for LED

How many watts of LED will it take me to achieve similar results to a 1000w HID lamp?

I want to cut down the risk of high light bills and heat.

Looking to yield up to 1.5 pound of herb.

My $0.02 on this, and that's all it's probably worth since I just started research last month....

I replaced my two 600w fixtures in each tent (1200w a tent - 2400w total between 2 tents), for four 400w fixtures in each tent (1600w a tent - 3200w total between 2 tents)... My draw power on each unit is average of 175 actual draw watts per unit (400w HID equivalent), making my draw from all 8 units 1400w. With my four 600w HPS fixtures, I was pulling 2400w and outputting 2400w... currently I'm pulling 1400w and outputting 3200w. So I'm pulling less in actual electricity, and outputting more in PAR and proper spectrum etc. HPS uses a lot of energy spitting out loads of the spectrum that plants do not even use.

I switched to cut down on risk of fire, heat, power consumption, and generally looking toward the future of this thing we do. I feel LED's are getting there. If you're replacing 1,000w in, say, a 4x4 area, I would go with 4x Mars Hydro II 400w's, or something equivalent. :aok:

Doc, do they yield the same or better than hps or less in your new setup compared with the hps one?

Doc, do they yield the same or better than hps or less in your new setup compared with the hps one?

We're finding all that out now in my link in my sig; "The Dr's Office"

Full Hydro
Full LED action

:D

I will know much more in the next 6 weeks, but so far, I'm exceedingly happy!

HL should know......... I know he has grown Larry in same conditions with HPS and LED........ if it's not a big difference I'd go LED because of the heat.

THG i was in this discussion the other day, and we concluded that HPS with air cooled flexible duct can be hazardous because if a bulb explodes, the hot glass can actually penetrate the duct. i am unsure which member stated that experience of his, but it was someone trusty, and it kind of changed my mind about ever making my lights aircooled. i would love a feedback on that from you ;)

The only thing worse than heat being exhausted out of your grow room is smoke. Just google "fire leads to grow room discovery". I'm sure it's pretty rare and the growers were careless but it happens.

Well about anything can happen. It is a calculated risk. If a tree falls on my home while I am away, my home will be checked to make sure that propane, water, and electricity are off. I could have a heart attack and the paramedics who come into my home could discover my grows. I could....I could....It is a calculated risk. We want to be as safe as possible. But it is generally electrical problems that cause fires and 1000W draw is 1000W draw regardless of what is drawing it.

In over 16 years of running a 1000W HPS in an air cooled hood, I have never ever had a bulb explode. I believe that this has to be an extremely rare occurrence. The fires were probably related to inadequate electrical conditions.

Gotta add a couple of cents worth here. Tried to stay out of this conversation, but drawn to it. Same old thing about how many watts of LED does one need to have a successful grow. With all due respect to PJ, and there is no way I can argue with him, but I have 6 successful grows using 2 Advanced Diamond Series 300 watt LED`s to cover 21 square feet. Sure, I know that my buds could be tighter and maybe more potent with another light added. I know that I`m at the minimum of the company`s recommendation also. My MJ turned out pretty damn good if I do say so myself. No one who has tried it complained.

PS,
As far as fires go, you can never be too safe. Be safe, not sorry. You just sprung ahead, did you change the battery in your smoke detector ?

Gotta add a couple of cents worth here. Tried to stay out of this conversation, but drawn to it. Same old thing about how many watts of LED does one need to have a successful grow. With all due respect to PJ, and there is no way I can argue with him, but I have 6 successful grows using 2 Advanced Diamond Series 300 watt LED`s to cover 21 square feet. Sure, I know that my buds could be tighter and maybe more potent with another light added. I know that I`m at the minimum of the company`s recommendation also. My MJ turned out pretty damn good if I do say so myself. No one who has tried it complained.

PS,
As far as fires go, you can never be too safe. Be safe, not sorry. You just sprung ahead, did you change the battery in your smoke detector ?

Oh indeed, then your genetics are good, that's what that means :) You can grow great bud that's floppy as a wet noodle! :D

On a side note, get that other light (or two)! :aok: hah

Strain - Huojin which is a clone only from me.

Vegged 21 days, flowered 62 total of 90 days including cuts rooting.

Total yield - 77 grams
Grown with 1/6th of 350 watt light 58 watts
Grams per watt 1.3275

Obviously not the rule, but what can be done once one knows exactly how to speak to ones plant.

View attachment h1.gif

View attachment h2.gif

View attachment h3.gif

I designed the tech in the light I flowered this with almost four years ago. I see a lot of people say on the net say "LED's are getting there".

Still cracks me up, but at least LED's are talked about on here more.

To the original question.

To replace a 1000 watt HID use roughly half the wattage, so 500 watts roughly. 460 to be exact. Just keep in mind you want to use more- smaller fixtures over larger more powerful [heat making] ones.

Beautiful, just a beautiful girl. Proof positive that LED`s are here and now. My results are not up to PJ`s by any stretch of the imagination. I do agree that several smaller lights are better to have then one big one. My present grow is using LED`s from germination to harvest. The plants are 10 days old. Planted 18 seeds, got 18 sprouts.

Strain - Huojin which is a clone only from me.

Vegged 21 days, flowered 62 total of 90 days including cuts rooting.

Total yield - 77 grams
Grown with 1/6th of 350 watt light 58 watts
Grams per watt 1.3275

Obviously not the rule, but what can be done once one knows exactly how to speak to ones plant.

View attachment 223820

View attachment 223821

View attachment 223822

I designed the tech in the light I flowered this with almost four years ago. I see a lot of people say on the net say "LED's are getting there".

Still cracks me up, but at least LED's are talked about on here more.

To the original question.

To replace a 1000 watt HID use roughly half the wattage, so 500 watts roughly. 460 to be exact. Just keep in mind you want to use more- smaller fixtures over larger more powerful [heat making] ones.

Pretty pictures indeed!
When you say half the wattage, do you mean the stated wattage of the LED or the actual draw? As I understand it, they do not (and should not) run flat out.. ie 3 watt LEDs don't actually use 3 watts (by design)

Latest posts

Back