Slight light leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burner

Reaction score
Switched over to flower yesterday and noticed I have a slight light leak. My flower space and veg/clone/mother space are right next to each other in the same cabinet, both are exhausted into a small blocked off space at the top, then air is scrubbed out. I have some light coming thru 2 PC exhaust fans in my flower space. Light schedule is 6:45am on, 6:45pm off. Veg space is 20/4. There is no other light leaks, just this glare.

It's not light coming directly thru hitting the plant per say, it's just a dim glare thru the 2 fans. I'm worried it's gonna hermie on me. I may be able to somewhat cover the light coming thru, but don't know if I can completely get rid of it.

Basically, is this gonna mess up the grow?

You know the moon shines off and on during the plants natural life with no ill effects. So if it is only a slight illumination it will probably be ok. I have a super super super small light leak and has had no effect on my grow. Now having gone through all that I must say you WANT TOTAL DARKNESS. Do everything you can to eliminate all light entering your room. Some species of cannabis will tolerate some light stress, while other go Hermie just from a minor disruption.

I gotcha, I'm gonna try and fix it tomorrow and see how good I can get it thanks.

You may not have to fix this issue. If the light leak is a constant thing every dark cycle then it shouldn't (IMO) cause stress as the plant is used to seeing the glow. If anything, it may delay the onset of flowering, or if it is too strong, it may prevent flowering altogether. At this point, not enough time has passed to make any difference. If yu think yu can eliminate the light glow (maybe hang some dark color cloth around and/or over the opening to absorb the light) then do it now. But if yu can't then let it go a couple of weeks and see if she starts changing over to flower. IMO, hermies tend to come more from the stress of light shock than light leak that is subtle and constant. I had the same problem in one of my grows and didn't have a bit of trouble with the flower or harvest... Some disagree with me on this but I swear by it:ignore: When I am going to switch over to flower I turn the lights out for 24-30 hours, b4 switching to the 12/12 cycle, to promote the change to flowering. For me it works to bring on the flowering a lot faster:)

maybe i am alone, but i think that any light leak is a bad thing. i have had small leaks make a crop 'run', growing thin and taller than they could have been. i stand in the darkened flower room and wait a few minutes for my eyes to adjust. if i see any light at all - i tape it closed.

regardless the impact of the full moon on outdoor plants, indoors i think any light during dark cycles is a bad thing.

just me.

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
maybe i am alone, but i think that any light leak is a bad thing. i have had small leaks make a crop 'run', growing thin and taller than they could have been. i stand in the darkened flower room and wait a few minutes for my eyes to adjust. if i see any light at all - i tape it closed.

regardless the impact of the full moon on outdoor plants, indoors i think any light during dark cycles is a bad thing.

just me.

Nope. Not just you. I couldn't let myself compromise my grow over something like this. I've invested too much time and money into it to take a foolish risk.

Thanks gents, im gonna see what I can do after work today to fix this. If I can't get it dark 100% then shame on me for not building it right lol...hopefullly it won't effect the crop too much if I can't get all the light gone

Old_SSSC_Guy said:

just me.

I agree 100%. I want my flowering room in total absolute darkness.

Also the moon light is reflected light from a very very great distance--quite different than ambient light entering your flowering room.

Thanks hemp goddess, hopefully a combination of a better light trap, black paint, and black screen will fix the issue

try a pvc elbow painted flat black inside..;)

Rigged it up today, just checked it out with the room pitch black and I saw no light coming thru the fans at all :D Thanks for all the replies

Your attention to detail will benefit your grow in every aspect!

I hope so! By the way, the quote in your sig is classic. One of the best lines in that movie

Latest posts

Back