Smach's 2022 Virginia outdoor grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one always knows when a ganja farmer is getting serious when they break out the yardstick!

plants look good Amigo
I Used to break out a tape measure does that count lol I haven't in years tho my estimating skills are pretty spot on

Day 95

Chopped one of the white widows today. Ideally I would have let it grow another week. We have a bit of amber, but I've cut out a couple of small bud rots, so I wanted to get it drying out rather than getting rained on every day with 99% humidity. The curse of the outdoor grow in these parts. Everybody around here's been hit with bud rot, and stunned at how fast it progresses.

The second white widow looks good. No signs of rot yet so I'm watching closely and hoping to give her another week.

The girl scout cookie that I was trying to keep small is a 6 foot tall shrub. Sudden onset of yellow leaves. I'm going with overall nutrient deficiency - nitrogen and potash, at least. This plant drinks water like nobody's business. Small pot size, and going crazy at all the pre-flower / bud sites, if that's what you call it. I think I've been starving her. I'll bump up to the "heavy" feeding concentration Foxfarm trio and see what happens.

IMG_5714.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

Day 101

Autoflower #2 is cut and in the shed. I'd say 20-ish% of trichomes showed some amber. The colas are plump and some even hefty. I doubt it'll be more than a couple of ounces, though. Maybe 3. I don't have time to trim it before work, so I'll deal with that this afternoon.

The shed has been running mostly in the 60/65 range for humidity / temperature. Temps get hotter during the day, but not above 75, so that's all good. Let's see what the next few weeks brings. Supposed to be 100 here this weekend. May have to stink up the guest room for a couple of days.

Auto #1 is in grocery bags as of this morning. Monitoring for a few days, then on to jars when the grocery bag humidity levels are below 70%. Let's see what the next few weeks brings.

IMG_5751.jpg

Day 101

Autoflower #2 is cut and in the shed. I'd say 20-ish% of trichomes showed some amber. The colas are plump and some even hefty. I doubt it'll be more than a couple of ounces, though. Maybe 3. I don't have time to trim it before work, so I'll deal with that this afternoon.

The shed has been running mostly in the 60/65 range for humidity / temperature. Temps get hotter during the day, but not above 75, so that's all good. Let's see what the next few weeks brings. Supposed to be 100 here this weekend. May have to stink up the guest room for a couple of days.

Auto #1 is in grocery bags as of this morning. Monitoring for a few days, then on to jars when the grocery bag humidity levels are below 70%. Let's see what the next few weeks brings.

View attachment 303651

enjoy that harvest!

what kind of stink are you getting in the guest room?…….dead skunk or rotten fruit or chemical solvent or some dank earthy dirt?

Plant #1 hung for almost a week, into grocery bags for a day or two, and now into Grove bags. Figured I'd test them on this plant. No jars, just hang > paper bag > Grove bags. Looks like the humidity in the bags is holding at 60%.

Looks good but my recommendation being close to you within 500 miles or so start putting them into the ground will help increase size harvest weight and won't have to water as often and they can stretch them roots roots out!!! But looks like a nice little auto harvest might over some and run 5 or 10 next year!!!

Two White Widows all done and have been in Grove bags now for a couple of weeks. Humidity in the bags is in the mid-60%. Yield on the two plants was only 128 grams. Not much, but then they weren't much effort to grow either. Pretty much effortless. Sent samples to the lab and waiting on results.

In my side-by-side comparison of bags and jars to cure, there's no difference. The bags and jars are tracking exactly the same humidity.

In the meantime, down to one child and not much to do except watch her grow. It seems to me that this plant is in flowering stage waaaaay earlier than I expected. I was getting clusters in mid-July, and they're looking good. Last year's GSC...I think they didn't start flowering until August, which is more what I expect. Anyways. Probably will get the fan on her soon.

Still some minor nutrient issues. Yellowing on lower and interior leaves. Suspect nitrogen deficiency, maybe copper and / or magnesium. I've been using Fox Farm all along, but maybe not quite enough. I increased to heavy feeding and am using all three bottles at this point. I was doing a tsp of cal mag every other day along with the juice, but stepped back to once a week on the cal mag and adding 1 TBSP of epsom salts once a week. Who knows...just experimenting. I think it's better now than a couple of weeks ago.

It's been super-hot for a while. Glad to have some temps in the 80s coming up.

Using a small pot to try to keep the plant small, well, it's still 6' tall and bushy. Imagine if I could put it in the ground. Goes through water like crazy. I give a gallon in the morning and a gallon in the evening. Fertilize MWF.

No bugs, no WPM. So different than last year.

That's the state of the farm today. She looks droopy in these pictures from the rain overnight.

IMG_5812.jpg
IMG_5809.jpg
IMG_5810.jpg
IMG_5811.jpg

In my side-by-side comparison of bags and jars to cure, there's no difference. The bags and jars are tracking exactly the same humidity.
Thanks. That is good info. From what I have read about Grove bags, they sound like they cure the buds for you without the need to monitor humidity in the jars and burping the jars. From your side by side comparison, it sounds a bit like Grove bags do not make the cure automatic.

That reminds me of a friend of my sons who spent a couple of thousand dollars on a fancy weed dryer that supposedly controlled heat and humidity to give a ‘perfect dry and cure’. He wound up with a couple of pounds of burnt bud. Oops…

Please keep us up to date on the side by side comparison though. I am still intrigued.

Thanks. That is good info. From what I have read about Grove bags, they sound like they cure the buds for you without the need to monitor humidity in the jars and burping the jars. From your side by side comparison, it sounds a bit like Grove bags do not make the cure automatic.

That reminds me of a friend of my sons who spent a couple of thousand dollars on a fancy weed dryer that supposedly controlled heat and humidity to give a ‘perfect dry and cure’. He wound up with a couple of pounds of burnt bud. Oops…

Please keep us up to date on the side by side comparison though. I am still intrigued.
I don't know if it's luck or randomness, but right now the humidity in the jars and the bags runs 64-66%. I burp the jars, and for while I made sure to open the bags daily and sniff for trouble, but I just leave them now. It seems pretty close to automatic.

My routine is pretty close to yours, Fogey, if I remember correctly. Hang in the shed at 60 degrees / 60% RH with circulating air for a week or so, into grocery bags for a few days, and when the humidity in the bags was down around 68, into jars or bags.

My routine is pretty close to yours, Fogey, if I remember correctly. Hang in the shed at 60 degrees / 60% RH with circulating air for a week or so, into grocery bags for a few days, and when the humidity in the bags was down around 68, into jars or bags.
I try to keep the humidity in check with my dehumidifier but I am not in control of the environment. I think my basement stays around mid 60’s for temperature but I don’t have heat or AC in the room. But yes, I dry the wet trimmed buds with sone indirect air movement until the outsides of the buds ‘feel dry’ then I pop them in paper bags until they are under 70 RH. Jar them up at that point but put them back in paper bags if the RH rises back over 70.

My impression of the Grove bags was you could put ‘dry’ buds in them(for me dry is under 70% RH) and they would slowly allow moisture to wick out of the buds and bag. It sounds like that may not be the case so I am leaning towards staying with mason jars. I am not a fan of plastic/synthetic material in general for a number of reasons. I like the idea of glass for long term storage as their is no outgassing(whatever number the govt tells me is ‘safe’, I am not sure I trust their guidance anymore). I imagine ambient RH would have an effect of how the curing effect progresses. It sounds like you are in Virginia and that you folks have had air so thick with water that you could swim in it recently so I wonder if that is keeping the buds in the bags almost in a state of stasis.

Yes...I would say these haven't dried down much since they've been in the bags...maybe a couple of points. I have them in the house now which is low enough humidity - like mid 50s - that the buds ought to dry down further, which they aren't really doing. More holding steady in the mid 60s. Maybe the bags are more of a storage solution than a part of the curing process. Hmm. Heck, if jars work, jars work.

Yes...I would say these haven't dried down much since they've been in the bags...maybe a couple of points. I have them in the house now which is low enough humidity - like mid 50s - that the buds ought to dry down further, which they aren't really doing. More holding steady in the mid 60s. Maybe the bags are more of a storage solution than a part of the curing process. Hmm. Heck, if jars work, jars work.
Good info. If the buds went down a point or two though, maybe they are doing what they are supposed to do. Slow curing is best(from what I have read).

Call 911. Looks like a little bit of everything going on here. I think the nitrogen (and copper, I think) deficits are under control, or at least not getting worse (fewer lower leaves turning yellow). Little bit of insect damage, but brown and curly leaves...hoping it's just heat stress. We had a few super hot days last week, and I think with a black fabric pot sitting in direct sun I might have cooked the roots. What says the MP mind?

Heat stress?
IMG_5828.jpg
IMG_5827.jpg

Insect damage? My old friends the leaf hoppers?
IMG_5826.jpg

Nutes...copper deficiency?
IMG_5825.jpg

Latest posts

Back