Smach's 2022 Virginia outdoor grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call 911. Looks like a little bit of everything going on here. I think the nitrogen (and copper, I think) deficits are under control, or at least not getting worse (fewer lower leaves turning yellow). Little bit of insect damage, but brown and curly leaves...hoping it's just heat stress. We had a few super hot days last week, and I think with a black fabric pot sitting in direct sun I might have cooked the roots. What says the MP mind?

Heat stress?
View attachment 305875View attachment 305876

Insect damage? My old friends the leaf hoppers?
View attachment 305877

Nutes...copper deficiency?
View attachment 305878
Roots dying off can look like a lot of things. Dead roots won’t take up nutrients. I have black felt bags as well and have thought about bleaching them for the reason you made. Haven’t done it but I may at some point. I see a lot of folks having unusual problems this year with the heat we have had country wide.

GSC's still looking pretty good overall, but with that apparent heat stress. Good sized plant with good sized colas forming. I think it's further along than last year's grow was at this point. Minimal pests, no white powdery mildew at all. I'm spraying bT and pyganic weekly just because. It's an interesting proposition growing a plant this hungry and thirsty in a small pot (which I did to try to deliberately stunt the plant). The pot is now a full ball of hair roots guaranteed. It's an eating and drinking machine.

IMG_5876.jpg
IMG_5877.jpg
IMG_5879.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5878.jpg
    IMG_5878.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
looking good Amigo

imagine what that beast would do if she was grown in a well fertilized garden!

good job on the bt and Pyganic 👍

OK - here goes. Going harvest and trim this week, Maybe hold out one more week if I don't see any more rot. Weather forecast is drier for the next 7 days. I'm probably early, I know I'm early. Big "two more weeks" Sur, I swore I wouldn't push it...but...folks around here are throwing whole plants away with bud rot. I cut three or four clumps out this morning. Trikes are cloudy for sure. Little to no amber. Hairs are red. Fan leaves have been getting yellow and wilting. Plant is stinky, sticky and the colas are heavy.

Let's see how the energy level of the buzz works out. After all, I do typically want a more energetic high. Now's my chance to learn something, maybe the hard way...

IMG_5953.jpg
68450778972__D67E2701-FE5D-4D3A-89D4-F5481A138D0D.jpg
IMG_5958.jpg
IMG_5956.jpg
IMG_5961.jpg
IMG_5960.jpg

IMG_5959.jpg

OK - here goes. Going harvest and trim this week, Maybe hold out one more week if I don't see any more rot. Weather forecast is drier for the next 7 days. I'm probably early, I know I'm early. Big "two more weeks" Sur, I swore I wouldn't push it...but...folks around here are throwing whole plants away with bud rot. I cut three or four clumps out this morning. Trikes are cloudy for sure. Little to no amber. Hairs are red. Fan leaves have been getting yellow and wilting. Plant is stinky, sticky and the colas are heavy.

Let's see how the energy level of the buzz works out. After all, I do typically want a more energetic high. Now's my chance to learn something, maybe the hard way...

View attachment 308580View attachment 308586View attachment 308601View attachment 308603View attachment 308604View attachment 308605
View attachment 308607
I feel you on the bud rot smaccio. We have it bad in my area too. I’ve lost two of my four outside plants and am like you picking thru my fat cola buds checking them every day. I dig your setup with the umbrella and fan. We got rain again today and I’ve been Blowing, shaking and tapping them dry in between drops. Good luck with your plant. It looks amazing.

that plant looks awesome!

ate those big colas hard and thick or light and airy?

what kind of fragrances are you getting?

yeah that bud rot is a bummer

and under those conditions , the chop was a good decision

looking forward to your smoke report!

enjoy the harvest

View attachment 308580View attachment 308586View attachment 308601View attachment 308603View attachment 308604View attachment 308605
View attachment 308607
I did the gazebo thing one year up here in MA. It rained at least every other day and was 80%+ humidity every day. Remnants of a hurricane blew my gazebo over. It was a challenge. Trimmed away the bud rot when I saw it. I didn’t think to put a fan out. That is good thinking/practice. I hope it works out for you. Sometimes you got to cut and run though. A dry forecast I hope helps you. I feel your pain.

I'll definitely get onto the spinosad. Looks like a winner.

WPM is a constant problem here. I will definitely pick up some Oxidate - thanks for the recommendation. Potassium Chloride was the best solution I hit on last year. A buddy recommended "AGrowlyte." Ever heard of it?
I'm gonna try Acrowlyte tjis year just got it. Havent had any PM yet, soon I'm sure.

I don't know if it's luck or randomness, but right now the humidity in the jars and the bags runs 64-66%. I burp the jars, and for while I made sure to open the bags daily and sniff for trouble, but I just leave them now. It seems pretty close to automatic.

My routine is pretty close to yours, Fogey, if I remember correctly. Hang in the shed at 60 degrees / 60% RH with circulating air for a week or so, into grocery bags for a few days, and when the humidity in the bags was down around 68, into jars or bags.
I didn't think you had to open the bags?

that plant looks awesome!

ate those big colas hard and thick or light and airy?

what kind of fragrances are you getting?

yeah that bud rot is a bummer

and under those conditions , the chop was a good decision

looking forward to your smoke report!

enjoy the harvest
The colas are pretty dense, which I imagine is a major contributor to humidity-related problems. Hard for them to dry out once they get rained on or even just with the dew from overnight. They're pretty to look at but maybe impractical in this environment. The dominant smell at this point I would say is "peppery."

After lopping off the bigger terminal colas yesterday, here's what's left. Lots of lower branches, sort of foxtailey. I don't really mind that, but trimming gets tiresome. Tons of larfy popcorn. I'd say I lost maybe 15% to bud rot. And of course the next 10 days are beautiful growing days. No rain, low humidity. I guess I had to harvest anyway, and after careful inspection of lots of buds, I don't think I was all that early. There are amber trikes...maybe 5%
IMG_5966.jpg

Before and after.
68479860178__78BBC0AA-0B6E-468D-BF79-EC07B57A88DA.jpg

Wet trimmed and ready to hang.

IMG_5971.jpg

One of the colas (not the biggest) weighed 52 grams. I'll be interested to see how much weight it loses as it dries.
IMG_5972.jpg

Lulu. Good trimming company but doesn't even keep rabbits away.

IMG_5980.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5966.jpg
    IMG_5966.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
After removing the fat colas, I left the remainders for another 8 days. They actually filled in nicely, developed some amber trichs, and I chopped them yesterday. 275 grams wet. I'm hoping it'll give me an A/B test to compare these more developed buds with what I cut early.

IMG_5996.jpg

Latest posts

Back