Small, young flowering plants with trichomes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan955

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm trying to figure out what's going on with these plants, I started them a couple months ago and even though they're 3" and 6" tall they're already flowering, and the small one has cloudy trichomes. The first photo is the small one.

something is not right if your plants are that small after a couple of months. what is your light schedule and what are you feeding them?

Light schedule is a little erratic, they get direct sun in a window for about 6 hours a day then I give it a 60 watt grow lamp for a few hours after sun down. These plants were 8-9" tall about 1.5 months ago and I had to bury them deeper into larger pots. They were very tall and skinny with tiny leaves on top, and recently started filling out a little then started flowering.

I normally grow out doors in a small greenhouse during the summer and wanted to try to do a couple indoors over the winter. I give them some veggie fertilizer.

Sorry to inform you but, the light they are getting isn't even close to what you need to get any buds out of them. They are barley even alive at this point.

I HIGHLY recommend reading around the forums, they're Great help.

10 - 12 hours of lighting = cause them to flower
18 - 24 of lighting hours are what are used to veg.

and the fact that its winter in MA, its just not the way to go depending on the sun.

I'm gonna assume you have no reflective cover so that 60watt light is shining everywhere - & in that case you are getting **** for light.

you're gonna want AT the very LEAST 150watt with a nice enclosed space for Veg.

Quick Fact :

You want 3000 Lumens per Sq Ft of the grow room-- VEG state
( enclosed grow space )

5000 Lumens for Flowering

the 60 watt is producing about 500-900 Lumens ( Depending on the Bulb )

and depending on the bulb you can get more/less 3,000 Lumens @ 150

I do realize I haven't invested enough in a proper system. I grew a nice one this summer outdoors and I went into this indoor thing pretty uneducated.

'winter' light... 'through a window'..is weak enough to promote stretching, and as stated your 60 watt bulb is insufficient. Unless they have some "auto" genes, the number of hours of light are THE triggering factor for flowering.

Spartan955 said:
I do realize I haven't invested enough in a proper system. I grew a nice one this summer outdoors and I went into this indoor thing pretty uneducated.
We all started "somewhere"... ;) there are simply a few requirements that "must" be met in order to grow quality product. Light being near th top of that list.

I would say measure out a 2'x3' space in yer closet or some place that you can enclose with reflective white walls(or go to the hardware store and get some reflective insulating boards and build a box). Get some good bright daylight bulbs, about a dozen 65watt(not equivelants) and put over the plants in the box. Turn them on 24/7. While they are growing and revegging for the next month or two you can order you some nice hps lighting and some fans for ventilation. Once everything is in place you can switch them back to flowering like normal at 12on/12off, by march you will have some decent buds :)

Hushpuppy said:
I would say measure out a 2'x3' space in yer closet or some place that you can enclose with reflective white walls(or go to the hardware store and get some reflective insulating boards and build a box). Get some good bright daylight bulbs, about a dozen 65watt(not equivelants) and put over the plants in the box. Turn them on 24/7. While they are growing and revegging for the next month or two you can order you some nice hps lighting and some fans for ventilation. Once everything is in place you can switch them back to flowering like normal at 12on/12off, by march you will have some decent buds :)

So that's a way to save these plants?

Spartan955 said:
So that's a way to save these plants?
Light schedule is a little erratic, they get direct sun in a window for about 6 hours a day then I give it a 60 watt grow lamp for a few hours after sun down. These plants were 8-9" tall about 1.5 months ago and I had to bury them deeper into larger pots. They were very tall and skinny with tiny leaves on top, and recently started filling out a little then started flowering.

The plants will likely survive, yes. BUT... the "erratic" light maybe your Achilles heel at this point. Light stress promotes hermies. I think if it were "me". I would start w/ new seeds under better conditions. I realize you've time invested, but Under proper conditions, you should have plants comparable in size in just a few weeks. And without the inherent issues.

I would have to agree with Hick on this. Unless you really want to save those plants in particular(which can be done as I said) but as Hick said, you run the risk of them hermiing and ruining some good smoke by seeding with useless seeds, and you have to invest considerably more time than if you start fresh. Either way, you have to have a devoted space and some seriously good light for making solid plant growth. There is considerably more involved in growing inside than outside. :)

Yeah I'll just start over and do it right. The one plant I grew this summer out doors will last me till the summer of 2012:icon_smile:

Spartan955 said:
Yeah I'll just start over and do it right. The one plant I grew this summer out doors will last me till the summer of 2012:icon_smile:
hmmmm well, either it was a monster, or you're a lightweight....:p :rofl:...

Hick said:
hmmmm well, either it was a monster, or you're a lightweight....:p :rofl:...

Different sources is the key to happiness:) besides that I don't really smoke every day.

I'm just "pokin' at'cha" Spartan...;) "givin' ya' the biz'niss" as Wally cleaver would say.:)

Hick said:
I'm just "pokin' at'cha" Spartan...;) "givin' ya' the biz'niss" as Wally cleaver would say.:)

what's a Wally Cleaver? Did he invent the model-T? :rofl: jk :aok:

i graw something like that with week light and longer time stunning plants,,but the i had them to finish with little stronger lightbut i kept th 12/12 scedule going,,,
check my link: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59424
i may had different problems as well but that what i got..anyway im still happy with the first products,,still learning,,

Latest posts

Back