Smart Pot ?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineharvest

Reaction score
Are the roots supossed to grow right through the sides of the pots like this?

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

I believe so bro....they grow out and get air pruned...I know when I remove the root ball it is stuck to the inside of the pot and you can hear the roots ripping away. I am staying with the smart pots....I absolutely love them.

The roots are growing like crazy. I did a transplant into the smart pot about a week ago and the roots are already busting out of the pot on the bottom half. Hopefully these 3 gallon pots are big enough. I almost went with the fives.

maineharvest said:
The roots are growing like crazy. I did a transplant into the smart pot about a week ago and the roots are already busting out of the pot on the bottom half. Hopefully these 3 gallon pots are big enough. I almost went with the fives.

I grow in one gallon smart pots....I think your three gallon ones will be fine...especially since they air prune and keep everything healthy.

Cool. I thought it might be a bad thing cause of the light hitting the roots.

When ur roots are busting outta the sides of the smart pots
Your doing something rite my freind
Keep it up they are loving them pots I say

I use 3 gallons for my mom and 5 gallons for everything else.

By the end of flower is the entire pot just a bunch of roots sticking out?

I grow in 15 gal. pots from seed. Do these pots hold up for the taller plants? Read about the pots in Urban Gardener. They sound like just the thing for me also. Can't wait to see what the air pruning will do to the root mass.

maineharvest said:

I move my pots often and very rarely see the roots poking through...they will prune off with time I believe.

maineharvest said:

No, in fact my last Jack Herrer only used the top half of the pot. The roots were the small feeder roots, very thick and healthy. He was some excellent smoke. Very interesting pots.
I see some sticking out a ways like yours on my mom though. I usually just brush them off. She has been in that 3 gallon for a long time.

ColoradoLady said:
I grow in 15 gal. pots from seed. Do these pots hold up for the taller plants? Read about the pots in Urban Gardener. They sound like just the thing for me also. Can't wait to see what the air pruning will do to the root mass.

I'm using 10gal smart pots and love them! Not seeing issues with the bushy babes I am growing in them!

Where can you get them?What are the good ones and the ones to shy away from?Can you use them outside or would the roots grow through it into the ground?What size would work for say a 6 foot plant outside?

If you used them outside I believe the roots would grow into the ground if you didn't move it. You can google it. I got mine locally. Good luck. They newer ones have handles too.

oldsman said:
Where can you get them?What are the good ones and the ones to shy away from?Can you use them outside or would the roots grow through it into the ground?What size would work for say a 6 foot plant outside?

These are the ones I have.... smartpots.com/

A cpl different companies make them...these are the fabric kind.

I like that you can see how the root system is doing. I'm only on my 2nd grow and often wondered whats going on down in the soil.

Latest posts

Back