Smart pots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemon Jack

Above the clouds
Reaction score
GRRRRRRRRRRRR I just typed this whole thing then accidently closed my browser.....:bong: Lets try this again....

So last week I ordered a single one gallon smart pot to see what all the fuss is about since Im now joining you dirt farmers...I got the one gallon cause I seen what our resident Hampster does with them :hubba: .

I really really really didn't realize how small one gallon was lol. Wowzers..
Anywhoo Im gonna give it a go... Any tips or necessary advice associated with them I should know????

One more thing I think I remeber an old post that said you could use those reusable shopping bags for them.....Any one else got any ideas. Well I made one any way I cut one bag in half and sowed up the seams on it. Its not quite the same material as smart pot, but it does seem very breathable? Any ideas on how this will work. I already got a clone in one of them but Im not going to put anymore in these till I see that they can work.

Heres what it looks like.... pretty good I suppose there wasn't alot too it.

0303121521.jpg

imo the coolest thing about the smart pots is you are increasing the aeration and still growing in soil---seems to me any breatheable container will do the same thing to a degree---as far as hammy goes---it ain't the smart pots that that makes his grow what it is---bet he could do the same thing in the sleeve of his shirt

Any tips or necessary advice associated with them I should know????

When watering, water real slow.

Thanks guys. Well I'm going to try the one out at least see how it goes before I put them all into these bags they don't look like transplanting would be very fun.

Went to the local grow shop yesterday, he had a 200 gallon smart pot hanging from the ceiling, a 65 gallon inside it, you'd not have even seen the 1 gallon lol!

Watering is the biggest issue with these, I tend to do a slow once over, move on to another and another until I get back to the starting point, then do it again!

i gave up on my 2 gallon smart pots, too messy for me to use indoor, like when water and such. plus plants i grew in same sized buckets were doing better.

i was my first time using them in a grow and i know some people like them better but ill stick to normal buckets for now, going to use mine for outdoor flowers or something.

I just switched over to 5 gal smart pots. I know what you mean by watering slow Roddy and Pcduck, first time I watered my plants I poured the water in too fast and it came out the sides of the smart pot all over the place.

PuffinNugs said:
i gave up on my 2 gallon smart pots, too messy for me to use indoor, like when water and such. plus plants i grew in same sized buckets were doing better.

i was my first time using them in a grow and i know some people like them better but ill stick to normal buckets for now, going to use mine for outdoor flowers or something.

NCH has expressed he didn't care for smart pots...... I guess you love them or hate them...... not much middle ground that I've read about.

they don't look like transplanting would be very fun.

I find it quite easy to transplant from them. Just let them dry out a bit, grab the bottom and pull.

Here comes my 2 cents.... Duck is stronger than me. I hate the 1 gallon ones because I couldn't get the plant out. BUT, i love the 5 gallon and even the 3 gallon ones. I use saucers under them and have no problem with water running everywhere. They are all I use. Cleaning them is a drag too.
Good luck LJ!

I am a Smart Pot fan...yes they can be quite messy, watering takes a lil time to get the hang of but overall they work better with my grow style. One gallon smart pots are a big commitment watering wise. If you hate watering you won't like growing in one gallon smart pots. I am gonna try 2 gallon ones after my Summer break and hopefully that will help with the frequent watering. Jmo

Whats with washing any pot? In 18 cycles i have never washed anything.

AWESOME NC, i don't have to clean them????? Thank you! I never will again, i never had any luck cleaning them anyway.

nouvellechef said:
Whats with washing any pot? In 18 cycles i have never washed anything.

All I ever do if anything is soak the pots in some warm water for a bit and then ring them out and let them dry. They look like a mess but work fine.

Hamster Lewis said:
All I ever do if anything is soak the pots in some warm water for a bit and then ring them out and let them dry. They look like a mess but work fine.

I got 2.5gal of each GH3. Gonna warm up in soil before playing w/ some water :)

Rosebud said:
AWESOME NC, i don't have to clean them????? Thank you! I never will again, i never had any luck cleaning them anyway.

Just no need too. No salt buildup can occur in organic farming. Others. Possibly I guess in the pots. But cant believe it would have negative effect.

When I was usuing Smart pots, I never "washed" them. I guess I rinsed them in water, but that was about it, no heavy cleaning.

I'm using the grocery bags in my current, and first, grow. I like them. I don't have an issue at all with water coming out of the sides, but I do water slowly as well. And I'm not giving them tons of water yet, as they're still little tykes. But they are working. They hold the soil well, and mine are sitting on pot mats, and I've had no run off come off of them onto the floor yet.

Also, mine are modified. Instead of being the normal size (I believe I read someone say these are equivalent to 5gallons?). I stitched mine up my hand with needle and thread, because I don't have a lot of space to have that many of those big bags in there. I believe now they would be equivalent to a 2 gallon smart pot.

Hamster Lewis said:
I am a Smart Pot fan...yes they can be quite messy, watering takes a lil time to get the hang of but overall they work better with my grow style. One gallon smart pots are a big commitment watering wise. If you hate watering you won't like growing in one gallon smart pots. I am gonna try 2 gallon ones after my Summer break and hopefully that will help with the frequent watering. Jmo
Hammy, how often are you watering? Right now I'm at 3 weeks. 1 week seedling and 2 weeks vegging, I believe (I assume at the appearance of the first set of true leaves, you are then in vegetation and not seedling?). I don't know the correct times for phases of growth. Anywho, I'm watering once a day, 1qt of water per plant.

-nasty

With my smart pots I water about every third day, when small.

Once they are trees and in the 1 gallon bags every other day.

I can go every 2 days in veg if I water real good in one gallon SP's...but in flower most times I hve to water/feed every day once they get a Cpl weeks into budding up.

Latest posts

Back