Smokin' hay!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna Eat That? said:
I've never grown a bag seed where the finished product tasted like hay unless I made a mistake in the drying or curing process. "Bag seed" is blamed for many things but when considering all the possible things that can be less than optimum when drying and curing, chances are it needs some good curing.

pax, 100x is a bit much for looking at trichs. A 30x might be a little better for easy and accurate viewing.
I agree,
you are probably right about it being a drying/cure problem. That was my first impression. The only time I ever had a plant, I grew, taste like hay, was when it was dried too fast. But the conditions, that PAX posted, do not indicate that that could happen. The only other answer would be bad genetics.

HomieHogleg

HomieHogleg said:
I agree,
you are probably right about it being a drying/cure problem. That was my first impression. The only time I ever had a plant, I grew, taste like hay, was when it was dried too fast. But the conditions, that PAX posted, do not indicate that that could happen. The only other answer would be bad genetics.

HomieHogleg

Yeah, the crunchy parts taste like a bag of butts.

i grew out nirvana nl << and after cure taste like gunk hay to<<<<and out of 5 fem pack only 1 fem,, shoking put me off ever geting any nirvana strains again!! they used to have a good name b4 they ventured in to the auto and fem world i feel thats when all went pare shape for them now ther names dirty out ther,,,,,,,,,,,,,peace[j];)

I'm open to any tips on drying and curing. I'm going to have this next crop stop drying earlier. Perhaps by waiting for the stems to snap I let them go too far. Curing I burp a few times a day for a week then once or twice a day for another. Suggestions?

I hang dry until stems are near breaking but still bend/fold over rather than actually snap. I check my jars often so I can control how fast they dry. Pretty low humidity where I'm at. If they feel too wet I'll empty the jar onto a tray until they have dried a bit more, otherwise they get sealed back up until my next check. Sometimes I change tactics depending on bud density.

Gonna Eat That? said:
... Pretty low humidity where I'm at...

LOL--low humidity, yeah I have that too--the relative humidity where I live is 10% today. It makes 100F feel not that hot. I simply do not believe that I could survive somewhere that the humidity was high.

When do I know when they are dry enough to jar? The humidity here where I live is 50% right now. Makes temp 96 and the feels like 104. You've got it good hemp. One step outside and I'm already sweating! Feels like ***!!

pax5000 said:
I'm open to any tips on drying and curing. I'm going to have this next crop stop drying earlier. Perhaps by waiting for the stems to snap I let them go too far. Curing I burp a few times a day for a week then once or twice a day for another. Suggestions?
I had another BOB, "Brother of the Bud" give me a formula, that has served me well. Take the RH of your drying area, take that number, to the nearest 10%, and divide by 10, then add one day. So if the RH of your drying area is 50%, then it would take 6 days. If the RH in your drying area is 20%, then it would only take 3 days. If the RH in your drying area is 70%, get a dehumidifier for your house, because you have mold.:giggle:

An easier way to tell for me, is the smoke test. When you are thinking that it is close, try and smoke a bowl. If it burns slow, but completely, put that stuff in a jar. If the outside burns, but leaves a ball of unsmokeable charcoal, try again tomorrow.

Hope this helps

HomieHogleg

Latest posts

Back