so ive decided to adventure into indoor growing and im lost please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBGrowin

Reaction score
today i went to home depot in search of 400w HPS lights..once we found them we could not find the correct holder for them since it only went to 250w for hps lights...after talking to an employee and discussing what i am trying to do. he told me it was best if i went to a pet store and bought them from their since they would deffiantly not grow under the bulb i had chosen. i went to a pet store and got the highest watt light they sold it was only 150w but its a sun glo lamp and simulates natural uva rays so the employee at the pet store told me it would work. i bought the light and holder for 25 bucks and now i need to know if i need to return them. if anyone has ne idea if this combo can grow atleast 1 plant let me no. i have pictures but i cannot upload it onto my comp for some reason if you need them to be able to tell let me no and i will do so

My suggestion is to ditch the things or return them and get things with proven results. If you live in a area where hydroponic stores dont exist, I would try EBay... I shop there all the time with no problems. If you start off with lights that you mentioned you will end up getting the better lights later on... Save your $ and do it right. If you can't afford it now, save up and be patient.
After all Growing MJ is all about patience... Good luck

thanks for the advice money isnt really a problem i expected to spend around 300 but i found this for 30 and was told it would work ..so im interested to see if it can grow me a single plant. i have 30 days before i have to take it back n i just want to find out it its worth one of my 7 seeds to try it under this lamp.

use cfl's if you dont have access to hps's. there are tons of people on here doing it. look around on the other posts, most newbies are using clf's. especially if you are only growing one plant, hps is for the big boys

you will be "much" happier with the results of the 250 watt hps from HD. The light you have is for reptiles, not plants. Though it may well 'grow' a plant, it will not grow one to it's potential and will most likely presnt difficulties/problems in your first attempt.

Soccrmn7 said:
thanks for the advice money isnt really a problem i expected to spend around 300 but i found this for 30 and was told it would work ..so im interested to see if it can grow me a single plant. i have 30 days before i have to take it back n i just want to find out it its worth one of my 7 seeds to try it under this lamp.

If money isn't the problem then do it up... a hps will do you good! Those reptile lights emit UVA/UVB light... which can potentially kill plants.

agreed. i would definetely return them and get an HID lamp.

screw supporting the local 'rape your pocket' hydrostore. (only kidding if they are cool)

almost ALL hydro stores in the US by from 'hydrofarm' which is somewhat of a coalition of all main stream hydro brands.

the main retailer or sister company of hydrofarm, is hydroempire. this wholesaler used to not even sell products to general public until a little bit ago. they just delt with companies

this is the wholesaler for most hydro stores where you can get high quality sun systems for cheap. ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR. theres alot of sales for 400w and 600w hps systems.

and anything over $150 is free shipping. which is FINOMINAL when your getting a 45 pound ballast shipped to you.

i would strongly suggest checking out systems at www.hydroempire.com- -its where i get all my stuff- and nothing is better than freee shipping and good prices.

good luck

You'll be wasting time and seeds with the setup you have.

The seeds will sprout, come up fine, stretch like hell (due to bad light), and then either fall over and die, or be fried by the heat that your bulb would produce.

Get a MH or HPS. Alternative Garden Supply sells some nice kits complete with bulb, hood and ballast.

hmmm thanks for all the help i went out and purchased 2 42-watt cfl's and a 150 agricultural plant growing light. i am alos looking into a 400watt HPS with ballast or just mor eof the 42 watt cfl's i have heard the work fine

Latest posts

Back