Soil/dirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifsixwasnin9

Reaction score
Do you have any local hydroponic stores? That's where I buy mine.

I hve been using Miracle Grow Seed Starting Mix for years now....it is sold by both Lowes and Home Depot near me. Unlike the other MG soils it is not loaded with those time release ferts. I add a lil perlite and some sweet lime to it now a days but I used it straight out the bag for quite a while with great results. It allows me to control the feeding. Jmo

I should just go outside and dig some up. I mean the Earth is full of it. Thx.

As long as you got dolomite lime the peat isn't a big deal. I have been growing in a homemade peat moss/worm castings/ perilite soil since i switched to soil this run and have had zero issues thus far (knock on wood)

ifsixwasnin9 said:
Ill-advised. You don't know the pH of the soil you're digging outof the earth, and you dont know what nutrients it has in it for your girls to uptake.

ifsixwasnin9 said:

I wouldn't do that either. I think you may have misunderstood about the peat moss. Most soil mixes add it in, so, I don't see it as a problem, and like mentioned, you can add lime.

ifsixwasnin9 said:

Leave it outside.:D

Real 'dirt' doesn't do all that well in containers, it just compacts to a solid lump. Plus there is all the organisms/bug eggs, that outside have natural checks and balances. Inside, it's a perfect (bad) storm waiting to happen.

I've been growing in peat based mixes for close to 40 years. A bit of sweet lime takes care of the acidity. It's really a non issue. Cheap too, ~$4 for a 40 lb bag at Lowes or HD.

Wet

Latest posts

Back