Soil from Local Store

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyinghigh

Grow Pretty Flowers
Reaction score
Don't look like i am going to order any FF soil any time soon.
So question is from Hoemdepot or lowes Which Soil would I buy for my flower room girls. keep in mind that I have about 12- 5- gal bucks !
I have use in the past cheap soil and pelite do to cost but have little more this time around..
I know I need pelite and give me your Advise on soil and the Mix..

I like to see what others uses from there local Hoemdepot and lowes and what your grow looks like.!?

wally world has their brand "organic" neutral as far as pre fertilized, $8-$9, per bag. slim pickins this time of year. don't have lowes or homer near me. gl $

Check your local feed and seed our's just got in a new supply of Premier's Pro-Mix in the Big bales Fill about 5-5 gal buckets with 1 bale

Yo Ho Flyinghigh,

I like to get the good loamy earth from the gravel pits around my area. They do filter and sift, and seperate, and the soil is sooooo good and clean. On top of that the little bit of coarse sand that you might want to mix in is right there too. Guess what ? The stuff is better, cheaper, cleaner than any ground up bark you can buy. Just my $0.02
Lots of garden supply centers that have the green houses will often sell you some of what they would normally use too. I'm telling you this cause now at the end of the season is the perfect time to get the goods.

smoke in peace
KK :cool:

I'm using Black Gold original mix without added nutrients. I've also heard great things about their coco mix and I believe they have one that has either bat guano or worm castings. Personally I prefer nearly a inert mixture because I'm heading towards hydro when I can afford it and I just like the idea of having nearly total control over what nutrients are available to the plants.

I kow a lot of feed/garden stores carry black gold along with Fred Myers and I think maybe Lowes. Personally I avoid Home Depot's garden department like the plague because they tried to tell me over the phone that they had NO liquid fertilizers and when I went down t check of T5 lights I walked through the garden center and found that they had 2 whole aisles of liquid fertilizers and such. That was probably just a local failure to properly traqin their personnel but it sure didn't impress me. Hope this helps.

Good smoking.
PS: If you decide to use hydro nutes, be careful about over feeding them. FHD, my nute supplier, recommends alternating feeding and watering one to one or feeding1/2 strength each time.

If you can't get a decent pre-mix, try medium to highgrade potting soil, then add perlite and vermiculite. I think the last ratio we used as 4-2-1 meaning 4 parts potting soil, 2 perlite, 1 vermiculite. Works great... But you -have- to add the perlite or something like it to give it drainage or it will compact all to hell the longer its in the container.

you can get ProMix HP and/or Sunshine Mix #4 at HomeDepot, if not Lowes as well... that with any kinda nutes will do great.

That crazy vancouver guy said:
you can get ProMix HP and/or Sunshine Mix #4 at HomeDepot, if not Lowes as well... that with any kinda nutes will do great.

They dont carry anything but MG in HD and Lowes by me.

Best Wishes

I know you are banned, and obviously for good reason, but I am gonna respond to this post, cause I am sure you are still reading it.

The soil found in many parts of this country would be great for growing marijuana in. However, when you dig up soil and bring it inside you also bring in all the little bugs, etc that were in that environment. So in essence you took a nice clean indoor growroom and tainted it right off the bat. Genius.:holysheep:

ASEgrower said:
I know you are banned,

Who is Banned.? I am Still Here..:hubba:

Nope I wouldn't bring in any dirt from outside do to it To Heavy to move around when wet and takes longer to dry.....

What about Kellogg soil I here a few using it..?

Flyinghigh said:
Who is Banned.? I am Still Here..:hubba:

Nope I wouldn't bring in any dirt from outside do to it To Heavy to move around when wet and takes longer to dry.....

It was a different guy that I had quoted. The mods removed his part from my post, rightfully, as he was an assclown. :D

look for the big bales of professionlal grow mix, HD and lowes have them around here. they are good starting points then add what you like.

ASEgrower said:
It was a different guy that I had quoted. The mods removed his part from my post, rightfully, as he was an assclown. :D

Well I didn't see any of his post and if the mods think it was righteous then it was the right thing..

Hamster Lewis said:
I use Miracle Grow Seed Starting Mix....It rocks...

What you switch over to.??
You stay with Miracle grow from start to finish.?

no pro mix at home depot for me. Infact i think they only stock the extended release fertilized soil in my area, and the nursery selection sucks here as well. I have to order or go to the hydro store.

Cedar Grove Organic if your in WA at Home Depot. Stellar soil.

Ok I wasn't going to say anything but for your wondering minds I am screwed I believe.
Ok I sent my wife down to the local Lowes with a list that I wanted Pre-mix with NO Nutes bale, 4 Perlite, 3 verimuci, 2 dominate lime, and even put on there root gel and what did I get was a Big bag of MG 3 months feeding and big bag of Kellogg s No dominate lime and No root gel.. I am screwed

The only reason why I couldn't do the shopping is because I had to go up into the mountains and fix a Bad water leak and it took me a few days fighting the cold weather and some snow and moving a wood pile over about 3 foot to get to the break...

I got back and found all this and the bags open and she had transplanted her plants and even all of mine in a mix I had left on the comp. 4 parts pre-mix soil and 2 parts perlite and 1/2 mix of vermiculite. I am screwed.
I did ok before on MG but I was wanting to try one of those Pre-mix bale with No Nutes, so now Back to saving money and doing some side work and hopefully I can do the final transplanting by the end of the month, that if I got any plants left if they get nute burn.. I am screwed.
Although I have 4 plant that was turnning yellow all over and they are coming back to life, Yea and have 3 plants that looks like there are getting burnt from the Nutes.

Question I have 5-5 gal bucket that still have soil in them and they been in the rain and will the rain clean up the soil and make it like Pre-mix with out Nutes..?

it will take tremendous amounts of water to wash those time release nutes out of the soil, and I have no idea how you would be able to tell when thay are finally all out. Your best bet is to go buy the stuff you need and transplant. If you can't afford to do that, then I would just keep them in veg state until you can transplant. I wouldn't want to try to flower in that soil. In the meantime, I would only add ph'd water to the plants, since they are already recieving nutes everytime you water...DON'T ADD NUTES. And hope to god that the stuff that is in the soil will be good enough to maintain healthy plants. I seriously would be trying to get the money around to buy some good soil though. Good Luck to ya.

Latest posts

Back