Soil Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megaS13

Reaction score
I Read Into It. I Understand What The Plant Needs Basically. What Soil Or Mixes Should I Use That Supply Everything I Need While Growing In Small Cups.

Any Info Is Appriciated.

Peat Moss Supplies Everything I Need?

I've Heard Of People Mixing Thing...Any info?

Yeah it dosent supply evey thing
you need to mix some reg potting soil
wit it and perlite and some lime. what
ferts are you going to use??

Not Sure Yet.

Any Suggestions.

I Heard Ferts Where Not Necesary And harm Plants In The First 4-6 Weeks of growth So i havnt looked into that as much.

look for something that is a soiless mix...it will be predominately peatmoss...with some perlite and vermiculite added...depends on the mix you get...

this garden uses ProMix...and some worm castings are mixed in when transplanting

Ignore whoever told you plants don't need food.

Not during the first 12 days, but after that they do.
What whoever told you that might mean is if you use potting soil w/chem nutrients already in it, adding more would hurt.

The best potting soils have a mixture of compost & peat moss, with seabird/bat guano, seaweed/kelp, worm castings and a bit of hydrated lime, and perlite.
Some growers like to add lots of perlite but you should never use more than 15 % imo.
A soil with these organic nutrients doesn't need any add'l nutrients for the first 4 weeks or so. Then it's time to add small amt's of nutrients to the water when you water the plants.
For a beginner, I'd recommend Fox Farms nutrients. You'll need 1 kind for veg and another kind for flowering.

Top quality potting soil is expensive (Fox Farms Ocean And Forest and Black Gold Potting Soil start at $10.00/bag) but is very cost effective. Your plants will grow faster, be healthier, and you'll have more buds to harvest.

Appriciate You Clearing That Up For Me.

On The Nutes What Is The Difference In The Ones Need For Veg / Flower Cycles?

plants need different nutrient levels at different stages of growth....check out some manufacturers websites and look at the NPK ratios for comparison....they'll help give you an idea of what nutes are needed in the veg stage and what nutes are needed in the flowering stage....

As a general rule of thumb...

A vegging plant needs lots of N (Nitrogen) and magnesium, while flowering plants require lots of P(phosphorus). If you take Ganja's advice and go with a quality nute like Fox farms, then you will not have to really worry about this as your veg formula will be formulated for veggin and your flowering nutes will be formulated for flowering.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back