Soil not absorbing water?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seph429

Reaction score
For some reason the soil my plant is is very dry, when i put water on it, it just sits in a pool on top of the soil and never soaks down. I've heard people mention mixing perlite with soil? I never did that, i'm wondering if i should have. Or if i still could.

A friend said i may have to transplant it into a bigger pot but i'm not really sure how to do that (i've read a few guides but nothing really helpful)

I'm really new at all this kind of thing so any help would be most appreciated!

Sounds like possibly the soil has gotten way too dry...and you may need to GENTLY soften the top of the soil with your fingers....be very carful...you don't wanna hurt the roots

and maybe if you show some pics...then someone can help decide if transplanting is overdue

IMO that plant is fine still for transplanting....i have some plants bigger in smaller cups...and they are just now to the point of really needing to be transplanted

is there holes in that pot? if you see roots coming to the hole...then time to transplant...

you don't want to transplant too soon because then there is not enough of a rootball to hold the dirt together for transplanting

heres a shot of some of ones that are due for transplanting and you can compare them to your plant ;)

C&G 004 (Small).jpg

transplanting is a very delicate procedure. I like to do mine when it needs watering. I tap the pot all around the very gently turn it upside down. still tapping until the entire plant slides right out with ease. I then pour distilled water over it and gently loosen the roots a little.

Then I put it in a larger bucket with a soil mix.
Here is how I do it. but everyone has there own preference.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2403&highlight=bucket

thanks for all the help guys, i think i'm going to give it another 7 days then think about transplanting. This time i'll mix some perlite into the soil. But i have juts a couple more questions

on this picture http://www.emoneytrader.com/~seph429/.myeyesonly/4.jpg you can see the stem to the left is kinda a reddish blue, is there any reason why? To me it looks like some kind of bruising, but maybe its natural? I've only recently taken an intrest in plant growing, so i'm just trying to learn as much as i can.

Also, what kind of fertilizer would you reccomend? I use Super Soil for my soil, but when i went to look around for fertilizers i saw like 4 billion and i just had no clue!

Thank you all for your help!

Fox Farms has a trio pack for soil that will carry you through every stage of growth. A lot of people swear by it. ;)

Latest posts

Back