Soil on a budget

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontknowmuch

Reaction score
I have been paying $18 - $20 at my local grow shops for 2 cu ft of soil. Would any of the $3-$5 per 1 cu ft of soil at lowes or home dep be a ok one to use? I know not Miracale Grow but I have seen some oraganic ones that look like they would probably do the job...what do you guys think or use?

Can you get Promix where you are? Great base soil.

I hve been using MG Seed Starter Mix forever now. It is expensive and I hve never seen a big bag of it though. I use that as a base since it has no time release ferts in it and lets me feed the way I like to. I add Perlite and sweet lime to it. Been loving it with the sweet lime. Not a ph problem since I started adding it. Puffin is right about the Moisture control and the MG Organic....I tried both and they are horrible. I believe Godspeedsucker used the MG like puffin does. It takes a different approach for sure if you go that route. Me personally i like to hve total control over what my plants get fed and when. JMO

Before decideing to go the FF route I was in search of a good soil as well and I swear MG dominates the market and almost all of it has preunted ferts in it except like HL says ( seed starter mix) I made the mistake of buying some perlite and it is MG brand and even the perlite has NUTES in it.. I didn't relize it until after I mixed up 6 - 3.7 gallon containers of it and at that point said to heck with it and went with it. Promix is the soiless medium of choice. like BBfan mentioned and alot of ppl use it.. I am just not familer with using a soiless meduim.. Goodluck Dontknowmuch.. Hero

Haha, ya Puff I tried the MG orange bag organic soil... garbage

However, I recently tried the MG organic choice (white-green-brown bag) and it did very well. It has NPK sort of like FF big bloom. Just added perlite and was perfect.

Jiffy sells seed starter soil as well: walmart for 4-5$
-Did my last grow with just that and perlite; did well.

PuffinNugs said:
nice to know, i havent seen it yet. so far im not liking the FFOF and Happy Frog and am missing the MG. ill keep i eye out fo rthat and definitly give it a try

also i think all perlite has a bit of N in it, atleast the brands i was looking at. its not anything thats going to do anything to your mix or plants

Yeah even the MG seed starter mix has a tiny amount of nutrients in it to help promote rooting....but it is not that time release stuff and doesn't last for 3 months or whatever regular MG does.

SMP thanks for that info....I will keep an eye out for that Jiffy Seed starter at my Walmart.

Latest posts

Back