Soil problem maybe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budimus Prime

Reaction score
I made the mistake of using pre-fert soil with time release ferts when I started them in 16 oz. cups. I transplanted them into 8 in. pots but used Scott’s potting soil. It has no ferts except .01 Phosphorus it says for root growth. I got 6 plants going and these 2 don’t look as good as the rest. 1 of them is real light green with a slightly burned tip. The other has 1 leaf with a brown side. Another weird thing is they are the same age but the one in pic #1 is much smaller than the rest of them. Any advice on how I should proceed?

Scott’s Potting Soil 70%, Perlite and Vermiculite 30%
x2 40 watt Flourescents (1 inch from plants)

000_0406.jpg

000_0403.jpg

I did get the same results using scott's potting soil, of six plants grown to maturity, two did marginally okay but the other four grew to only half of their size, the fertilization and watering schedule(s) were identical...

My guess is that the various bags were inconsistant in (ph) make up or general quality, causing the smaller plants to have lock out. (unlike the larger two, they responded in no way to fertilization), unless all of the soil came from the same bag... in that case it's "beyond me", just relaying my experience with scott's brand.. (I personally won't buy it again)...

Although in your case, (having transplanted), I wouldn't rule out root damage as a potential reason for retarded/slower growth...

I went out and bought some Foxfarm potting mix and some 10 in. square pots. Should I transplant these two plants into the new soil now or wait? I transplanted them into the current pots they are in one week ago. Is it correct to flush the plant thoroughly then transplant then water and hope for the best?

000_0407.jpg

000_0408.jpg

That's a good question and there are probably two different schools of thought, one is that they may be in transplant shock and you should transplant A.S.A.P to get it over with so they can recover.

The second would be to give them a week or more so to recover prior to re-transplanting... it's your call, you may want to get some advice from a more experienced/knowledgeable grower... I personally would re-transplant asap being VERY careful with the root mass...

Here's some more pictures. I hope I can save the little one because I think it might be a seed from some really good stuff. All the rest we're just crappy MJ seeds.

000_0410.jpg

000_0413.jpg

Some of my other plants are not doing so well. I believe it's nutrient burn probably because of the pre-fert soil that I used when they were in 16 oz. cups. I transplanted them into Scott's potting soil but the original soil that surrounded the roots during transplant is still in the pots. Being a newbie I also subjected them to a few days of a hot HPS but turned it off when it started burning them. What should I do from here?

I'm using x4 40 watt 48" flourescents.
The temp is pretty cool with the fan blowing.
PH is about 6.5

000_0452.jpg

000_0453.jpg

000_0455.jpg

000_0456.jpg

Latest posts

Back