soil questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mslady_1983

Reaction score
hi everyone been away awhile. now back to business. i was on vacation visiting family in mexico. jajajajajaja question for you's today. could i use miracle grow soil as a soil. of cours stay with the foxfarm nutes and all. its just that the fox farm soil is costly. also how long could i reuse the soil

thanks everyone

If it says feeds up to 6 months on the bag I wouldn't use it...... if it is the moisture control I wouldn't use it. If it is other than those I'd put it in pots and flush and let dry then use it. However if you have some old soil piled up some where, it might be a better option. JMHO

It is better to not use MG. You will lose more in plant then you will save in money.

I would advise against anything premixed that isn't directly suited for MJ.

As for using a pile of soil... definitely not. Unless you've got indoor storage for it, using random soil from outside your house is a great way to contaminate your grow with all sorts of things from bugs to chemical.

If you're unsure of soil that you already have you can bake it in your oven to sterilize it (smells like absolute awful death) but it works.

Here be what I do on the canuck side ifin this be were yual hail from. I do use a MG product but I mix it at a 2 to 1 mixture with another product I have shows here 1 part MG Organic and 2 parts the pro mix and dont feed yur little ones for at least a month anything. I use this here blend and dont cares to check my ph at all cause in all my past grows she be constant at 6.7 and then after yual start to nutin then start checkin ph but this mix i swears by and doner well by me. Much look pilgrem with trail yur walkin hope yual do well

BWD

aren't miracle grow linked to Monsanto? (i'm pretty sure, but don't know 100% and don't want to spread dis-info)

..that's reason enough to not support them IMO ;)
:)

kaotik said:
aren't miracle grow linked to Monsanto? (i'm pretty sure, but don't know 100% and don't want to spread dis-info)

..that's reason enough to not support them IMO ;)
:)

I dont know nothin bout this here so might look into what ever this folk be sayin cause I aint to lead folk wrong or nothin just know what I use and what work fur me. No disrespect mr kaotik ifin I am not to use the MG label here I aint salesman or nothin.

BWD

If you are looking for an easy medium to use that is both inexpensive and easy to use, try coco. I love it as it has the same consistancy as regular soil. You just get some pearlite and mix it in at about 3:1 coco:pearlite and yer good to go. If you aren't going the soil amendment/organic and are going to be supplying yer own nutes it will work great. You can use it if you are going semi organic with teas and FF organic nutes, you can use the coco as it really holds nutrients well.

I love it and my plants love it. The only drawback is the fact that it has to be supplimented with cal/mag to off-set the chemical makeup within it, and it has to be watered a little differently as it drains well(but it also draws water well and can be watered from the bottom if necessary. If you are interested here is a link to the online hydro store where I buy mine. One bag of this will expand to fill(with pearlite mixed in) 6-8 5gal buckets, maybe more.

hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/cocogro-coir-fiber-organic-grow-media-5kg-bale-p-1680.html

no worries BWD
..i did a bit more digging anyway, and apparently miracle gro isn't directly owned by monsanto.. it's owned by just scotts, which is a monsanto partner/distributor.
so ??
(i'm left scratching my head)

*and for mslady's recycling question; yes, you can most definitely recycle good soil :)

If you go with MG organic watch your nutes as it's got 'em already.

mslady_1983 said:
hi everyone been away awhile. now back to business. i was on vacation visiting family in mexico. jajajajajaja question for you's today. could i use miracle grow soil as a soil. of cours stay with the foxfarm nutes and all. its just that the fox farm soil is costly. also how long could i reuse the soil

thanks everyone

:ciao:..mslady....hold this:48: while I try explain my thaughts...

miracle grow even though some will say stay clear of because it feeds the plant everytime you water...but Ive seen some nice crops come from that soil...just peeps use less waterings...and depending on how long the plant stays in the container depends on if ya will have to feed it...I would stay clear of all feeding schedules the first run or atleast 6 months worth of growth...at which time the plant will tell ya what she needs...and by all means reuse the soil...I do all the time..just add amendments...hope this helps

take crae and be safe

The thing is, you MUST water, so watering less may not work well for you, especially if newer to growing and not sure how to do so in the first place! There are some MG soils that are nute-free (or at least one that Hammy's been speaking about...I think it was Hammy), that might work....HOWEVER, remember that you're growing plants worth thousands of $$$, a good harvest will make the price of that soil seem laughable...

It is what you make it, give the gals what they need and they'll surely reward ya!!

I haven't bought soil in quite some time, I recycle, amend and go!

and not sure who to do so in the first place! Musta been a Freudian slip :rofl:

NO offense, 4U, my friend, but I read back and really would advise against the MG...a new grower should be in control and not wondering if the nutes in her soil are working or not. If something goes wrong, would be harder for her to pinpoint...imho

I picked up a product at Home Depot that seems to be working well for me (so far). It is Kellogg's Outdoor Potting Soil. It does have some organic nutes in it (worm castings, kelp meal, bat guano, and chicken manure), but it didn't burn my seedlings and my plants have done just great. I used 1/3 potting soil, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite for my base medium. I am using NVs super soil for my nutrients. I am getting ready to transplant from the solo cups into 3 gal grow bags. This is my first soil grow in over a decade and my first go at organics.

:ciao: THG---are you transplanting directly into the NV mix or cutting it with some of the kelloggs---:woohoo: sure would like to see his stuff used straight as there are some that have reported issues---think they failed to follow the directions though---personally have not tried it---but have faith in his mix cause it makes sense

No, I am cutting it to about a 25% mixture. I had some Beyond the Brain that I started in hydro and transferred to grow bags and the base mix (with no super soil) when they went into 12/12. I was feeding worm tea once a week. I recently added about 2" of NV's super soil to the top of the bags and the plants seem to be loving it. It is so funny to feel like a novice after growing for so long. Everybody's help here has made the organics seem less scary.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I picked up a product at Home Depot that seems to be working well for me (so far). It is Kellogg's Outdoor Potting Soil. It does have some organic nutes in it (worm castings, kelp meal, bat guano, and chicken manure), but it didn't burn my seedlings and my plants have done just great. I used 1/3 potting soil, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite for my base medium. I am using NVs super soil for my nutrients. I am getting ready to transplant from the solo cups into 3 gal grow bags. This is my first soil grow in over a decade and my first go at organics.
:yeahthat:

I have also heard good things about Kellogs from an experienced grower that's been using it for a few years. I think he quoted something like $5/bag, so the price is right. He also amended it.

His pics certainly backed up his claims.

Wet

and used it to some success. you cant use ultra strong nutes and I suggest organics as they stand less chance to burn your plants. Im no pro, but I do have epxerience with MG soil, and I have first hand knowledge of it...moisture control MG soil at that...in fact these lovely ladies are doing quite well in said soil. 5 gallon buckets feeding with fish emulsion every other watering. i would not use this soil to sprout seeds in though, its a little harsh for young roots. I have lost two of them this way.

2012-04-10_14-55-57_545.jpg

2012-04-10_14-56-06_524.jpg

2012-04-10_14-56-19_520.jpg

2012-04-10_14-56-27_375.jpg

:aok: purdy goilz ya gots there, Lesso. All that and they're thriving in MG MC....:rofl:

that's awesome!

7greeneyes said:
:aok: purdy goilz ya gots there, Lesso. All that and they're thriving in MG MC....:rofl:

that's awesome!
lol...i know the one soil that gets railed against :p...but hey MJ is one of the most hardy plants on the planet, just treat her right and she grows and grows.

Latest posts

Back