Soil questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiloh

I speak to the I Am
Reaction score
I have earthworm-rich soil in my yard. Is this a viable option for indoor sunny window and nights/outdoor sunny deck, potted?

My local Home Depot has Fox Farms Ocean. I believe @SubmarineGirl uses FF Strawberry. What is the difference?

I’ve used the ocean before with great results. I tried the strawberry soil on my first auto grow as a suggestion from Cartys auto grow page. I really liked the soil mainly because it carried my grow with no nutes for a while and the fact I had no soil gnats during the grow which was a first for me. I’ve used it twice since with my recent photo tents and have had no gnats. i hate those bastards

I’ve used the ocean before with great results. I tried the strawberry soil on my first auto grow as a suggestion from Cartys auto grow page. I really liked the soil mainly because it carried my grow with no nutes for a while and the fact I had no soil gnats during the grow which was a first for me. I’ve used it twice since with my recent photo tents and have had no gnats. i hate those bastards
Thanks. What do you think about my earthworm-rich soil?

I have a serious green thumb for plants in general. Hubs and I were in the landscaping business for over 30 years. Why does growing a weed scare me so???!!!

I’ve not used it I’m my weed garden but I can tell you that I have an abundance of earthworms in my vegetable garden which grows incredible. I’m hoping to plant my outside plants directly into some of it next spring. plus what could be bad about earthworm enriched soil right?
you are lucky you have a green thumb. There is nothing to be afraid of in the weed category tho. You will learn as you go like the rest of us. Plus it’s a great hobby if you are looking for something to keep you busy and excited

Do you have a place in your house to put a secret tent? It helps also to let nobody know your growing….
Oh gosh, I' m far too lazy from grief to attempt that. In grief, it is impossible to do things that may seem simple to others.

My take on earthworm rich soil is that it likely means it is teaming with beneficial organisms and nutrients but it can also be teaming with bugs that like to feast on plants. Store bought soil can have bugs too though. If you use the outdoor soil, maybe be prepared with a good organic bug killer. @SubmarineGirl had some product that she used with great results. I think @boo tried it too and had excellent results. I think the company(the name escapes me though) has a free sample they will send out.

This is the product fogey is talking about. Well worth the money but they will send you a free sample for shipping cost that will last your first grow on a small garden

DE243F8B-4CD6-4158-AE5A-AD4C2BF7F73A.jpeg

My take on earthworm rich soil is that it likely means it is teaming with beneficial organisms and nutrients but it can also be teaming with bugs that like to feast on plants. Store bought soil can have bugs too though. If you use the outdoor soil, maybe be prepared with a good organic bug killer. @SubmarineGirl had some product that she used with great results. I think @boo tried it too and had excellent results. I think the company(the name escapes me though) has a free sample they will send out.

yeppers

outdoor soil has pros and cons and each grower has to find their happy place

i like simplicity

less is more

I want a clean , bug free , and full of beneficial microbes soil so I go with ProMix HP with mycorrhiza

then I add worm , bat , bird , and or chicken po-op as needed

ymmv

Living in a major lake region, I get lots of osprey guano. Also have bats, owls, all kinds of hawks, eagles, cranes, egrets etc. as well as worms. That's why it is so tempting to use my yard dirt as potting soil. I am liking the plant wash suggestion.

I also get regurgitation from the owls, which contains bones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back