Soil questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in a major lake region, I get lots of osprey guano. Also have bats, owls, all kinds of hawks, eagles, cranes, egrets etc. as well as worms. That's why it is so tempting to use my yard dirt as potting soil. I am liking the plant wash suggestion.

I also get regurgitation from the owls, which contains bones.
Owl regurgitation wow we all need a scoop of your yard dirt 😁

My take on earthworm rich soil is that it likely means it is teaming with beneficial organisms and nutrients but it can also be teaming with bugs that like to feast on plants. Store bought soil can have bugs too though. If you use the outdoor soil, maybe be prepared with a good organic bug killer. @SubmarineGirl had some product that she used with great results. I think @boo tried it too and had excellent results. I think the company(the name escapes me though) has a free sample they will send out.
I picked up some fungus gnats from (I assume) the MG soil I bought a couple of weeks ago, but my fuzzy jumping spiders seem to be eating them faster than they can breed. I haven't witnessed one chomping a gnat yet, but the gnats were gone a couple of days after I first noticed them. The spiders have also been out in the open more. I don't usually see them unless I'm watering their homes. I have read they eat spider mites as well : )

I picked up some fungus gnats from (I assume) the MG soil I bought a couple of weeks ago, but my fuzzy jumping spiders seem to be eating them faster than they can breed. I haven't witnessed one chomping a gnat yet, but the gnats were gone a couple of days after I first noticed them. The spiders have also been out in the open more. I don't usually see them unless I'm watering their homes. I have read they eat spider mites as well : )
They know they are family now and they can trust you their spider dad. I think you always had a little spider blood anyway crash…

They know they are family now and they can trust you their spider dad. I think you always had a little spider blood anyway crash…
They still run and hide if I get too close. Might be a while before I get to pet one : )

I was going to buy some more in case the spider mites returned this summer, but because they have become popular "pets", they are going for $20-$80 EACH!

They still run and hide if I get too close. Might be a while before I get to pet one : )

I was going to buy some more in case the spider mites returned this summer, but because they have become popular "pets", they are going for $20-$80 EACH!
Each? You need to do spider hunting in your yard crash. There are bound to me more around your yard looking for a spider daddy.

I feel like I am living in an episode of the Twilight Zone…

He needs a big ole kiss. 🥰 😁

1675086208110.png

Each? You need to do spider hunting in your yard crash. There are bound to me more around your yard looking for a spider daddy.
I emailed my family telling them to come and get me, wake me up if needed, if they see one. They probably won't, though. The little spiders will likely meet with a shoe unless I offer a reward. If I do that, though, my daughter will be selling me spiders out of the grow room over and over.

I emailed my family telling them to come and get me, wake me up if needed, if they see one. They probably won't, though. The little spiders will likely meet with a shoe unless I offer a reward. If I do that, though, my daughter will be selling me spiders out of the grow room over and over.
Later this year, Crash rethinks his spider strategy…
29BF08A9-D05E-4333-A4EB-1039EA94EF01.jpeg

I love the little guys. They don't get enough credit. They also pose zero threat to people btw
My wife alerts me when she finds spiders in the house. I then relocate them outside. She won’t tolerate them inside but knows they are generally beneficial. The only native poisonous spiders in these parts are brown recluse spiders. Never have seen one though…

My first job out of high school was helping to extend a runway at a Navy base. I mostly helped build forms and pour concrete for new light boxes, typical laborer stuff. But I was later sent to help rewire the existing boxes which were literally filled with black widows. Only our foreman was brave/stupid enough to jump inside and do the wiring. The rest of us refused, and we were all laid off a week later. Always wondered who they got to get in those boxes, and if anyone got bit.

Fk that shit. I hate spiders. I can deal with snakes but i dont like spiders.

Latest posts

Back