Soil taking forever to dry, help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoman

Reaction score
I transplanted my plant into a 3.6 gallon container with gravel filling the bottom to above the hole. My soil mix is 2/3 soil (w/ 25% wormcastings), and 1/3 vermiculite + perlite.

I've only watered the soil once and that was with almost a gallon of water. It's almost been a week now and its still not dry. Is the wormcastings keeping it wet? Should I change my soil? The plant seems to be growing slow...

thanks

Sounds like you waterlogged the plant. 1 gal is a hella lot of water for a 3.5 gal. container.
Still, re-reading your soil composition, it should have been dry by now.
Are you saying it's still moist on the surface?

In the future, use less water like I wouldn't use more than a quart max per watering (except for large plants in bigger containers).

THe plant wasn't in the pot when I initially watered it, I just did it to settle the soil. I transplanted the plant several hours later.

The surface is definitely dry now, but its moist about 1.5-2 inches deep.

So you think that with a regular watering my soil mix will dry within 4 days?

thanks man

There are mainly two factors in how fast water dries up.

1. Holes in the bottom of pot
2. Airflow

Even tho im a noobie too i hve already learned from wieght and look of the plant needs water. But you have to be watchin them ever so often.

When a plant is young, with a shallow root system, it doesn't need much water-only enough to supply the roots with water. Some people make the mistake of pouring water in until it runs out the bottom.
While that isn't bad for a big plant (in fact it's good, it prevents salt build-up), it isn't good for a small plant.
The roots of marijuana need to dry out a bit between waterings. A good way to judge if it needs water is stick your finger all the way into the soil a few inches away from the plant (carefully to minimize root damage). Water only when the tip of your finger remains dry.
Eventually you'll get in tune with your plants. You'll be able to tell by picking the container up a bit, or by the soils appearence at the surface, or how much the plant usually needs.

More on water:
For a beginner, overwatering and underwatering both make the plant wilt. Only with experience will you be able to tell which is which. The main difference is underwatering causes a brittle limp, overwatering causes a the same kind of wilt but not dry/brittle.

Even More:
The bigger the plant, the more water it needs. When it's young the plant uses a medium amt. of water. In full veg it uses lots.
It gets even thirstier during the first 3 weeks of flowering, when the plant more than doubles in height.
As flowering progresses the plant stop growing as its energy goes to resin/bud production. Water needs drop off drastically. And during the last few weeks of flowering the plant needs very little water.

It's a learning process. But soon you and your plants will be in synch.

Latest posts

Back