soil type

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

parkingjoe

im repotting all my plants today and just for good measure i need to know exact soil type.

ill be buying from b and q superstore so do i want acid loving or lime loving or peat loving or free of some or all above ingredients.

any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks people.

parkingjoe

No idea what brands a "b&q superstore" stocks, joe. My personal preferrence is "Black Gold". Fox Farms brand ocean/forest(I think it is) is another highly recommended.
Look for something "organic". With lotsa' organic ammendments like worm castings, guanos, kelps, ect. Avoid anything with time release fertilizers and/or moisture control additives.
Whatever your choice, I recommend picking up a bag of "Perlite" also. Add the perlite at a rate of 15-25%. Adding 1 tablespoon of hydrated horticultural lime per/gallon of medium, will also aid in eliminating ph flucuation AND provides magnesium(something mj craves, and most products lack)

hick you must be an american b and q are uk stores anyway got my soil replanted all my plants (root bound) the lot due to being treated with spider mite control thus preventing plants from any transpiration so set them back no growth on plant but roots still going strong...

parkingjoe

The only problem with dolomitic lime guys is it maintains a 7.0 PH.....You end up with an Fe and Mn lockout.....Unless you feel like foliar feeding you're plants continually I'd suggest skipping this crap and use a meter to adjust the PH.....

Add a little epsoms once in awhile and flush regularly.....

Thai.

Whoa!! skippin' this crap?? a li'l harsh I think..:(
7.0 in soil is.."satisfactory" it should be a few tenths of a point lower, for "optimal" benifits, but no nutrients are "locked out" at 7.0. It will also "buffer" ph swings.
Epsom salts adds salts to your soil, which in turn will requires flushing to clean the roots for "optimal" uptake over time.
Each to their own.
edit
I stand corrected..fe and mn are locked out at 7.
I've never encountered a problem.

I'm not expert or anything, I was recomended "Super soil". It maintains a PH of 5.5-6.5 and it comes with perlite and other nutrients.

:D

soil is bang on 10cf when i feed nutes.

soil ph is bang on 6.8-6.9 which is also spot on for soil.

went with grow bags for tomotoes and mixed up 1/3 vermiculite to 2/3 soil and into new bigger pots and all swell after giving them two feeds of water only with couple of drops of superthrive for good measure...

all wellllllllll

stop bickering you two...........

rofl..

parkingjoe;)

Latest posts

Back