soil volatilization

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningbush93

Reaction score
well i just found out the soil im cooking is burning off my nitrogen through volatilization. How much N will i lose and is there anything i can do. Maybe ill just add more N after its done cooking if a soil test says its low or am i worried for nothing? also should i lower my ph or will it lower back down when the volatilization process is over? Thanks in advance!

Why do you believe this and how did you verify it? What did you use for a nitrogen source? It is my understanding that volatilization only happens with urea based nitrogen fertilizers.

i believe it because of this thread i found on this forum phosphoric acid. I basically made garden soil with compost perlite alfalfa,bat guano, sb guano, EWC, kelp meal, D lime, rock dust, green sand and because i ran out for 85% of the mix i used FF happy frog fruit and flower which contains blood meal. in compost piles high N will give a ammonia smell and my mix is mainly compost. That and because my mix never got overly wet and i let in dry out quiet a bit in the bins and added a decent amount of great white and the smell just got worse. Thats why i dont think it is anaerobic but im open to suggestions!

how often do you turn it? my grandma used composted soil for everything and when she did i remember turning it quite often for her, she taught me all i know about gardening an she was old school..BtL

I turnd it every day for at least a weak but i read that turning it will cause me to loose for n so i haven't turnd it in 2 or 3 days and then i didnt turn it as well as i usually do

Are you using urea based N? It is my understanding that this is the only source of N that is subject to volatilization...I will check out the thread though and see what it says about this.

Latest posts

Back