Solo cup issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marthajeep

Reaction score
So I started 2 seeds about 30 days ago. One seed started out messed up and looking like a goner so I tossed it in a solo cup just for giggles. Now it’s 8.5” tall and looks pretty spindly. It feels like it has a rootball. It’s also an auto and I know it shouldn’t be transplanted. What do I do?

Attachments

• 6870D525-C307-4729-8F71-2C81449AEA07.jpeg
    6870D525-C307-4729-8F71-2C81449AEA07.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 14
The method I used to use for transplanting seems pretty easy on the plants...I would cut the bottom out of the solo cup and set it inside another with holes in its bottom...fill and plant the seed...when it’s growing well, I take off the outer solo and plant the whole inner solo in a larger pot filled with the final grow medium...when transplant time come, I just cut down two opposing sides of the solo with scissors and take each side out one at a time and presto, transplanted...I got too lazy for that lately but your right I think about autos and that’s why I did them this way...good luck!!!

The method I used to use for transplanting seems pretty easy on the plants...I would cut the bottom out of the solo cup and set it inside another with holes in its bottom...fill and plant the seed...when it’s growing well, I take off the outer solo and plant the whole inner solo in a larger pot filled with the final grow medium...when transplant time come, I just cut down two opposing sides of the solo with scissors and take each side out one at a time and presto, transplanted...I got too lazy for that lately but your right I think about autos and that’s why I did them this way...good luck!!!
Great idea! What are a few worst case scenarios out of curiosity? What don’t you want to happen when transplanting? Do you handle it like a seed and water the pot first, then water after transplant? Sorry for all the questions, but I like your thinking.

Just to clarify, you cut the bottom of the cup that will be used for the seed and put that into a unaltered, (unless you add drainage), second cup. For transplant, do you hold the seed cup while you make the cuts? Then directly plant the cup and finally pull out the two side sections?

I think the concept of transplant shock gets a bit overdone. Auto or not, that plant looks overgrown for the pot, the root ball must be quite hearty by now, and the biggest risk of transplant shock is actually a weak rootball, so you should be pretty safe! Just wait for it to dry out nearly to the point of wilt
(This seriously reduces chance of root damage), get your big pot ready, lace your fingers over the soil surface around the stem, flip it completely upside down, and give the bottom of the cup a sharp smack.
Water lightly in the new pot and give just enough water to keep it perky forcyge first week or so, then you can go back to normal watering.
Fresh soil is a real treat for a potbound plant and exposing the whole root ball to it will encourage your roots to spread efficiently!

Latest posts

Back