some advice would be greatly appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrow22

Reaction score
Hey guys, i was wondering if someone could give me some advice on my plants. I just planted some bubble gum and blueberry, and they are 5 days old now, each about more or less an inch. They are all grown out of seeds. Ive got them under a 250 watt hps in some fox farm ocean forest in about 36 oz cups. the plants are about 12 inches away from the bottom of the reflector. Its about 75 to 80 degrees, and low humidity.Ph is about 6.2. one of the plants is going very slightly yellow at the ends, but the other plants look healthy.The plants did grow out very oddly, with 2 of them growing more than 1 sprout each out of one seed. So i just cut them off, so maybe that could be part of it, but the other one i did it to is healthy, but one of them is very slightly starting to yellow. I water about every 2 days, the fox farm drains really well and dries out pretty quickly. Can anyone see why maybe those plants are starting to yellow? It might take a while to determine if they are going to get better or worse, but i want to catch it early. Any advice would be great, thanks.

When you water, do you use anything but water? For tiny plants like that, be very careful about that much light. That's pretty intense for a one inch plant. No heat at all is the rule with the babies. It's also very critical that the youngsters never become dry or sopping wet.

Good luck man. Let us know how it goes.

Hey guys,
thanks for the help. 2 of the little guys died. They came out all wierd, with 2 sprouts out of 1 seed, so i cut them and i guess they couldn't handle that shock, but its better off that way, because i don't know what i would of done if i let them grown out. So now i can just plant new ones. I still have one going that didn't grow with 2 sprouts, and it looks very healthy and is growing well, except kinda slow. When you veg with a hps, is the foilage growth slow? Also, you said i shouldn't let them go dry, should i water every day? Because the top goes dry very fast, and the rest goes dry in about a day, what do you think? And no, i don't use anything but water in this stage, and keep my water sitting out for a while so any chlorine will evaporate out.

To be honest with you man you should just get some compact florescents. Alot more efficient and better for ur precious lil seedlings! they are very easy to fry and you shouldn't do any pruning or cutting until your plant is at least 8-10 inches tall or it will stress it or let in desease.

Be careful with the HPS. If you're careful, you should be able to use it,; however, as Gagneezy said, fluorescent bulbs are ideal for seedlings.

The yellow is on the very first set of leaves? If so, that's completely normal, but those aren't actually leaves; they just look like leaves. If you're first real set of leaves are yellow at the ends, that could be because of the nitrogen rich soil that you're using. Don't worry about it since you've already started them. Just let them be and they should be fine.

Now, on the other hand, the yellowing could be other things too. Without pictures it is hard for us to better help you.

When you water do you soak the soil a bit, by letting the water run out the bottom? That's the proper way to water them. The soil needs to be moist from top to bottom. Make sure to let the soil dry out thoroughly between watering. I use a moisture meter from the nursery; it lets you know when the soil is dry. Your soil seems to dry out quickly. Make sure that you're not over-watering.

I hope this helps.

I am a nub at this and i can figure its his light. He has a HPS 12" away from some seedlings. Frying the **** out of them.

BTW this topic is over 3 years old. I'm sure he has new crop by now and has figured out his mess ups.

I really should start looking at those dates!

Latest posts

Back