some problems with grow..ww & NL5 (pics)??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmj887

Reaction score

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=547850614&security=lBOlkB

hi everyone...first post here.

the leaves r curling on the one ww and it seems theres some yellow streaks on the curling leaves that have recently developed. Any suggestions or thoughts please?

The NL5 seems to be drooping a bit, i may have been overwatering so i will hold back for a bit.

The other ww i have seems to be developing the same problem with the curling leaves, only a bit less.

I have these in 2 gallon pots under a 400W MH light system. I have them in Miracle Gro Moisture Control potting mix (i think). They seem to be pretty healthy other than the curling and yellowing. I dont kno if this is due to magnesium problems or nutrient lockup or wut? i havent fertilized yet cuz theyre only in 2-3 week and there r already nutes in the soil from the package. Any suggestions on wut to do? there is a possibilty it is the pH cuz its around 7, but maybe a LITTLE bit higher. the water is about 6.3

Anyone every use Peter's Professional brand fertilizer (or somethin like that)? its the 20-20-20 thing.

wow very helpful forum :rolleyes: . Highgrade-seeds.com has an EXCELLENT forum where people actually help one another. Thanks.

whats up tmj887. sorry but there are not to many people on this site. do you have any pics of your grow? you have to remember when using miracle gro potting soil it has nutes in it already so adding other nutes at full strength could be your problem. i use miracle gro and dont use any nutes on them. how far away do you keep your light from your plants? do you have good venelation? i just clicked on your pictures and your babies look thirsty.

Thanks for the reply. I am not using nutes yet. I will start using peter's 20-20-20 in a week or so (cuz that will be a total of 3 weeks of veg, which is wen i hear u should use nutes).

Why do u think they look thirsty? I have done some reading and to me, curling and yellowing means a magnesium deficiency. Today i foliar fed with some epsom salts to try to correct this problem. Ive been watering them a lot, maybe even too much. It looks like the NL5 is a little over-watered cuz the leaves r droopy.

The 400W light is about 14 inches from the plants. I dont think its heat stress or burn cuz from wut ive read, the signs of light burn or wutever r obvious.

I have pretty decent ventilation. I have an oscillating fan going in my closet space, which opens up (sorta) into the ceiling. I also keep the door of the closet slightly open when im home. Sometimes i swing the door back and forth to sorta get some fresh air in there too. ANy other thoughts?

it just looked like your dirt was dry in a few of your pics. it sounds like you are doing everything right but then again i'm not a pro at this. when you water put your finger in the dirt about a inch or so if its dry give them a drink. your plants look fine other than the curling. see what happens over the next few days.

yea, the only reason i can think of for the curling is that miracle gro nutrients dont include magnesium (from wut ive heard). So since i used miracle gro potting mix moisture control (somethin like that), the plants might not be getting magnesium. Also, the pH might be low, which could lock out the magnesium (if the soil has it). I will give it another week tops (with using epsom salts) and if i still have a curling and yellowing problem, ill use some pH up to see if that helps.

Also, i forgot to mention that the soik looks dry on top because after i watered the plants initially, i felt like i didnt put enough in, so i put some more soil in on top before i took the picture. Since then i have thoroughly watered each plant. Ill keep u posted on how the plants r doin in a week or so.

Sorry I didn't see your post. Welcome to the forum. B. Grunt knows his stuff.
Mind if I add a couple of things?

tmj887 said:
1. (cuz that will be a total of 3 weeks of veg, which is wen i hear u should use nutes).

2. Why do u think they look thirsty? I have done some reading and to me, curling and yellowing means a magnesium deficiency.

3. The 400W light is about 14 inches from the plants. I dont think its heat stress or burn cuz from wut ive read, the signs of light burn or wutever r obvious.

4. used miracle gro potting mix moisture control (somethin like that),

1. The soil you have is prefert. then I would wiat to add fert until you get you PH checked. (I start ferting when the plant gets its 2 node @ 1/4-1/2 strength then start to work up no pre-fert soil).

2. PH imbalance can imitate a nutrient def. This is beause the PH locked out the nutrient uptake. (always check the PH, don't assume its low or high). Do not add fert or PH up or down until you check it first. Doing this without knowing the actual PH could compound the problem. (I looked at the pics it looks like it could be a mag. def. , but one of the leaves looks a little crispy from the light). Check the PH before you do anything.

3. 14" is a little close for how old they are. Rule of thumb. If you put your hand at the distance the plant is from the light. and you hand gets hot after a minute or two. then it needs to get moved up. (leaves will yellow and curl up from the light sucking the moisture from the leaf, It doesn't have to look "burnt" to be getting heat damage)

4. The moisture control could pose a prblem with overwatering. B. Grunt was right. but I would would check 2-3 inches into the soil. The HPS can dry the first 2-3 inches out and still be a mud-pit at the bottom. Also do you have plenty of holes at the bottom for drainage. (that is a critical point)

thanks mutt.

there are like 6 holes at the bottom of the pot for drainage. i water until some water comes out the bottom of the pot. The soil has always been moist, i dont let it dry out, but i also need to make sure im not over watering them.

Also, i have been checking the pH just about everyday. I have a pH probe tester thing and this is telling me the soil is at about 7 or maybe a little higher than 7 pH. (this is after i watered it). The pH of my water i use is about 6.3 or so. I was told to measure the pH of the water that drains out the bottom, which was around 5.5 or maybe a little lower. I'm REALLY confused about my pH levels: water's fine, soil may be too high, but drained water (which looks yellow) is about 5.5 pH. I really dont know wut to do with pH.

Wut do u think i should do about this pH confusion Mutt?

I'll probably start fertilizing in a week or so with peter's 20-20-20. hopefully i will have this under control by then.

Grab 3-4 samples of the dirt and put it in distilled water. (not tap water or anything). distilled. shake it around and test that. this will give you an average PH. The water at the bottom of the pan, will give you an off reading. as it just collected salt and crap and flowed to the bottom. It is the soil medium itself you want to check. What the roots are in. IMHO. After that reading you will have a solid answer.

ok thanks a lot mutt. Ill try that. Ill buy some distilled water tomorrow and test the pH sometime tomorrow night or somethin. I'll post up wut my results and go from there. Thanks

Latest posts

Back