some questions before starting (building) a rubbermaid stealth grow box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 150W in a Pyrex bakearound is going to take up less headroom than 6 CFLs and produce far less heat (buy a yard light and a pyrex bakearound and make your own--it will cost less than CFLs and sockets and splitters and reflectors). Make the box as tall as you can.

You are looking at growing a product that sells for $300-400 or more an oz. You are going to have to spend some money to get a grow set up.

I got back from a shopping trip tonight. I use the term loosely, since I only picked up a light timer. I was going to buy a electricity monitor/meter (so I could see how much electricity my grow would take) but decided against.

Of the two major hardware stores neither had anymore than some hid/hps bulbs and some misc ballasts (they looked to be the ones for fluorescent lights in business offices). The two bulbs were 400w and 70w but neither said they were in the grow spectrum(s) and the flood light I did find were I think in 2k and 5k spectrum. One of the helpers seemed to understand (er.. growing/spectrum of light) but couldn't find a single thing that'd work. Not even envirolights!

He did refer me to another place he said "delt with industrial lighting". I'll give them a call. I also spoke to a hydroponic place about an hour away.

she quoted me around $175.00 for the ballast
hps/hid bulbs start at $30 - $40.

Whats confusing me about her email was this section. I'm not sure if those last two bulbs are hid/hps

The compact flourescents I have T5 bulbs
4' with ballast & bulb $ 39.95
2' with ballast & bulb $ 29.95

the single socket bulbs
55w - $ 39.99
200w - $119.00

So thats an update. Not getting really far in my search. I might just have to find the parts online and get them shipped. Well, on the plus side maybee a little online shopping may save me some $$.

I have to get to sleep, I have a doctor appointment tomorrow :(

LOL--don't be talking to the salespeople in hardware stores about things like "grow spectrum". I would recommend that you do more reading about lighting so you know what you need. Do not expect salespeople to be able to advise you, even those in the hydro stores. Don't buy a meter--it is easy to get a rough estimate of what your electricity costs will be--use the money for something you really need, like good light.

No, T5s are fluorscent tube lighting and single socket bulbs are just that--single socket bulbs--neither of these are HID. I wouldn't trust anyone who called T5 bulbs/fixtures compact fluorscents...

Check HTG supply to get an idea of the different kinds of lighting available.

hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/growlightsubcategories.asp?categoryID=1

haha. Was a bit short on patience by the 3-4th store, including a lovely trip to wallmart near xmas season. Still probably not wisest move but he actually knew a lot and never called me out on my bullsh-t. He had no “envirolights”, there were cfl but I knew they probably would going in.

He had started talking spectrum and the color of the lights, lumens without looking at the box and almost right from start. By the time I mentioned hps/hid he knew he probably only had one item. I just told him it was an indoor, tent like greenhouse for herbs I use for cooking and wanted fresh ones during winter. I don't know if he bought it but oh well..

The girl from the hydro place. Well, I think she got jumbled or wrote it quickly.. But who knows?
I'll probably have my box built before I decide to buy something like that or not, certainly have my lights bought. Seems a good idea to keep track..

You know whats really funny? I just looked on ebay for hid/hps, ballast and I bookmarked that exact seller. Only he didn't offer international shipping on ebay. I hope the site does. He/She seems to have all the toys. I was impressed by the ebay store alone. Thank you for finding that :)

lol... i always go on foot and buy stuff i just take a 1/2hr drive so idont run into my neighbor and i just talk to people in stores i dont really care at that point no one would know me no address no name nothin. nobody really cares anyway they just wana sell but they wont advise you to your needs they just want you to buy wat they got so you gota know wat you want and what you dont. if you're not sure of something just dont buy it i ended up buyin many things i didnt need keep us posted cheers :)

I'm not too worries, if any family/friends found me in the last hydroponic store... Well I'd be angry they weren't sharing. Kind of funny though, while I was talking I saw a sign on the counter "do not ask us about anything illegal. You will be asked to leave and we may involve the rcmp (cops)".

But you're absolutely right. They didn't much care what I was using it for.. They want the money and they want repeat business. Thats it.

I'm fairly sure I want to buy some mylar and the hps in a bit, run the system without plants and test temperature/moisture. Then it would be time for the gardening and order some seeds. Lots todo and not alot of money

you can save some money by not buying mylar go with matt white paint mylar doesnt last it's hard to handle it wrinkles and loses reflectivity cant be cleaned, easily stained it even crumbles if you try clean it, a lot of growers if not most eventually switched to paint for simplicity and ease of use. you're gona get the HPS and try it i assume you already have the exhaust fan? it would be worthless to try it without exhaust, keep updating :)

interesting. I wouldn't guess mylar would be that of a pain.. I mean after you coat your surface. My only worry is that (for the rubbermaid) a flat white coating will still make it pretty see through. I would also guess that you'd have to sand and prime the surface, and apply a plastic based paint...
Is tinfoil an ok surface? I mean, the only real complaint I've heard is improperly applied it can make "heat spots" and the light is uneven.

btw. I think I've said this before but I really appreciate the patience and help people have been. I really want a good first grow, especially since its a big investment and it also means wasted money on a seed or two if I fail.

no tinfoil dude its drawbacks are so many it could be one of the worst to use, biggest drawback is reflectivity i forgot how much that was but it's something silly like 60 or so % add to this the heat it creates the noise the wrinkles.... matt white gives you close to 90% keep a little brush around ready to apply a thin coating and it's fresh as new very simple and is cheaper

ah right, i'm sorry you're painting plastic that might be not good it will crumble and break down, hmmm try glue some flat cardboard sheets the paperlike ones onto the walls it will cut out the light and you could paint over it. you can find them in library supply stores

Mylar is more reflective than flat white, but most of us use the paint just because it is easier for re-use. If you can get the mylar to lay flat it does ahve a higher reflectivity...it's just a pain to get to lay flat. Once it gets wet or dirty it gets all smeared, and basically needs replaced.

Don't use aluminum foil....it is worthless.

I should have known (about the aluminum), I had a link somewhere on reflectivity and didn't consult that before posting.

A good idea with the cardboarding. If I mold that to the shape it would not only reflect the light better it would also provide a layer to insulate the light leaking out or a telltale glow of a light inside plastic. I think I actually have some so I might be able to try this out and reply in a day or so. Worse case it fails and I'm out a buck or so and might have to step up my box to something different.

Thanks for the advice legalize and zem

Krylon makes a paint for plastic called Fusion. It is really good and really sticks. I have used it to make clear containers black to prevent light from getting in. Use a FLAT white rather than a gloss or semi-gloss.

great. I think I'll get a bit of that fusion paint and some small grit paper in case its needed and do some light testing. Does anybody know off hand if fusion reguires several layers or not?

If I can't geta good light barrier either by mylar or paint I may have to rethink the growbox.

Just a question about seeds if I can.. I don't want to make several posts for the same grow. I've been looking around at ratings, and here:(marijuanapassion site)MarijuanaSeedbankRating.php <- can't post links

Some don't seem to deliver to canada, some don't have seeds discussed here by hampster and lh or feminized variety. I was hoping someone could suggest a few either in canada or can safely deliver too... I'd prefer feminized seeds just because this is a simple first grow and if they sell random or single seeds that might be good also.

Last few days as I was in stores I picked up some stuff for growbox. Perhaps selfish but it was my gift to myself. I got 2 different size pots, heavy duty timer, krylon paint, and some duct tape (aluminum and reflective). I also got those water bulbs for a soil moisture test. I bought a few single seeds from a singleseedcanada so waiting for those to come.

My next update will be after xmas and after I get a chance to test the rubbermaid. I might try some light tests to see if I can make it show light less (transparency). If not I can build something for 20-25$ or buy a closet from walmart and cut necessary holes. Found two other pc fans and a speed controller. Only cost me 15$ and I think it would help control the airflow on small build. They circulate 35cfm according to their specs.

With no medication (mj) I want to get the grow started soon. I might go with simplistic lights (cfl) and get my soil, nutrients. Home depo has 42w in both 6500k and 2700k. If I get some cash I'll go with hps/hid if not taking a trip to home depo.

Talk to you all later
Happy holidays

I'm taking the low $$, "easiest" method. Since I put up some lightproofing, and hopefully soundproofing, in the closet I think the light will not be visable inside the room. I cleaned, dried and let stand the bins prior to painting. One sticker would not easily removed.. Oh well. I've painted the tops and one bin using a can of krylon fuzion white paint (spray).

There are a few patches, some globs and one crack. I have a few pictures below, the first being light seeping out with no paint and a 26w cfl just to test. I'm going out later for more paint. I hope a second coat will cover my LOUSY paint job. If not I'll sand it off, add a third or ditch it all for mylar/panda film.

Oh, and I'm partway in my construction. IF the pain works I have my fixtures already madeup. The fans just need the controller and my equipment for testing moisture, light, ph. Still..... Waiting on seeds :(

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3n9ciUZa21EL05_UFjd96Q?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/z3HbN_9GBTZEo-v0CxWH_A?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fDDAnJuuupICZvSzIhbDLQ?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JbQAZeJxKlH1-9aRz-x7EA?feat=directlink

Latest posts

Back