Someone please explain PH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for PH different nutes absorb at different ph levels .I let my ph swing from 5.2 to 6.5 in hydro not soil.

No, it isn't the tell all. You are a brand new grower. I don't mean to sound harsh here, but you really have no idea how or what to expect from plants. You are drinking the Killo-aid of a person that is starting a new product line and trying to sell things. I have one huge question that has never been answered by you. IF this is to be used in soil, why does not one single bit of literature anywhere on the web show that this is a product to be used with soil? Everything I have read on this new product that you are so sold on is that it is just for hydro and soilless. And the pH levels you are talking about are for hydro and soilless. If this IS to be used in soil, why is it indicated only for hydro and soilless?

THG, I think he is determined to use these nutrients regardless. I kinda figured these are Hydro nutrients early on.

They are not hydro nutrients. They are to thick and will clog hydro symptoms and yes I am determined to use the nutrients.

The pH of the soil and the feeding water are essential aspects of a good feeding plan. pH does not have a direct effect on the plant, but it does directly affect the availability of the nutrients for the plant. The plant, in turn, can also influence the pH of the soil in the rhizosphere ( the area close to the roots ). Perhaps first I should define pH a little better. The pH scale, the standard measurement for acidity, was developed in 1909. It is a simple and universal measurement of the amount of hydrogen ions there are in a solution. These ions affect its acidity and how the solution will react chemically. pH is defined as the negative logarithm of the hydrogen ion concentration. It is the result of the presence of anions ( negatively charged nutrients ) and cations ( positively charged nutrients ). So its kind of like counting cards, if that makes any sense.
The rhizosphere is the narrow region of soil that is directly influenced by root secretions and various soil microorganisms. Plants respond to nutrient deficiency by altering their root morphology, recruiting the help of microorganisms and changing the chemical environment of the rhizosphere. Soil is a living organism in and of itself. Components in root exudates help plants access nutrients by acidifying or changing the redox conditions within the rhizosphere or chelating directly with the nutrients. Exudates can liberate nutrients via the dissolution of insoluble mineral phases or desorption from clay minerals or organic matter, whereby they are released into the soil in solution and can then be taken up by the plant.
The pH in the rhizosphere can be very different from the pH which is measured in the nutrient solution. The main reason for this, is that the plant needs to remain neutral. All nutrients comprise positive and negative charged ions. The surface of the root is negatively charged. So negatively charged ions are repelled by the roots. The plants has ways of dealing with this by excreting anion for every anion uptake. The same holds true for cations. This way, the plants remains neutral. So how does this help grow my plants bigger? In the case of N, it can take different forms chemically. Ammonium ( NH4+) has an acidic effect to the soil, however nitrate (NO3-) has an alkaline effect. You can see where I am going with this. Enough for now...

Latest posts

Back