Sopappy's grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NUTES
No zooming here. I'm embarrassed to post pictures. All 4 look like crap. Ph has not moved for 48hrs in either set-up and ppms slowly rising IF it's even moving at all, maybe 10ppm up. So I must be starving them now, I guess another res change and I'll try again, no Thrive, weak nutes, 200ppm 5.5Ph

OXYGEN vs PH
I've got some nice bubblers in there powered by that noisy monster and I'm reading that oxygen raises pH. Those 4 buckets are doing a slow rolling boil that I can hear but that's not enough to change the ph?

LEDS
The two newest look like they are stretching with the LED 175W (draw) at 18 inches but I'm reading LEDS are TOO strong and should be farther away ???

oh yah, and the ice cube trick, ya, that worked
ONCE!!

This stuff is friggen' VOODOO

The heating pad and rigid foam are gone. I have the buckets sitting on a concrete floor (hoping for some additional cooling). I'm having trouble keeping the res below 22 (72)
and the ice cube thing is getting silly.
I'm thinking a wort chiller might be doable, a small one in each res. An aquarium chiller maybe but most I see are 300 bucks and lucky if it'll do one bucket.

Here's latest picture, I sure get funny looking plants. I've never seen seedlings do what these two latest are doing, looks like a stretch and leaves are strangely large.

View attachment sigh.JPG

View attachment bigleaf.JPG

The bottom two look fine pappy, the large leaves are a sign of good health and possible indica leaning, but really hard to tell at this stage. anyway it looks like its coming along pappy, top two might be hungry, hard to tell would nee close ups of each plant to really give you my opinion, but from what i can tell your off to a good start bro.

The bottom two look fine pappy, the large leaves are a sign of good health and possible indica leaning, but really hard to tell at this stage. anyway it looks like its coming along pappy, top two might be hungry, hard to tell would nee close ups of each plant to really give you my opinion, but from what i can tell your off to a good start bro.

Love that new avatar, Kraven... the one of the girl made me feel, well, awkward, in that, you are a fella and she was not :)

I thought I had two more freaks, thanks kindly for that post, I sure hope you're right.

I'm screwing up, ppms and pH... some gardeners shouldn't smoke on the job :)

I'm going to make my own wee wort coolers. Stainless steel is very expensive so I'm thinking zinc-plated steel tubing is just fine and quite a bit cheaper.
[ame]http://www.amazon.ca/Allstar-ALL48327-Diameter-Stainless-Coiled/dp/B006K8MBU8[/ame]

(ad is wrong, it is NOT stainless)

Any harm in putting a coil of this zinc plated steel in my res?

Pappy, I really don't know. I know that the soup your growing in has and acidic pH (5.7) so I'm not sure what metals would be safe and which would be corroded. I use copper in my still but that's a whole different animal. Google reservoir coolers and see it there is a DIY like a swamp cooler that might work for your application. What has the water temp been, ideally between 65-68 hopefully.

Pappy, I really don't know. I know that the soup your growing in has and acidic pH (5.7) so I'm not sure what metals would be safe and which would be corroded. I use copper in my still but that's a whole different animal. Google reservoir coolers and see it there is a DIY like a swamp cooler that might work for your application. What has the water temp been, ideally between 65-68 hopefully.

I can only keep them that low if I use giant plastic ice cubes (it's absurd)
Doing nothing, it creeps up to 73 so I'll hafta spend again :-(

I'm thinking I'll hafta ebay 2 wort coolers and drop them in the two reses

I read all day about brewing beer and metals. Something about copper I didn't like but I can't remember now. Stainless steel is okay (apparently) Where's that plumber? She'd know.

Ask THG she will have a better feel and she does hydro so she may have already solved your issue.

I just did :), she's the plumber, isn't she?
And seein' as you're sitting there at the PC.... here's my latest pictures but they're not much better than you've seen. I'm stumbling with the pH and ppm but some of it is sinking in. I just hope I catch on before I kill 'em!
I added the bunch in the flower chamber, I'm thinking I probably shouldn't have trimmed those so aggressively.

View attachment one.JPG

View attachment two.JPG

View attachment three.JPG

View attachment four.JPG

View attachment menagerie.JPG

Pappy, it does look like you have had ph issues, but your learning. The little ones look sorta fried from nutes, but the good thing about hydro is you can just dump the res and fix things instantly....well it works the other way too, things can get pretty out of control quickly. I say keep plugging along, your getting it and the most important thing is your learning from your mistakes. I think the little ones will be fine. the ones in flower don't look bad, hopefully they were within the two week window after the flip, if not then your harvest will suffer, but your still gonna get weed bro, so thats the plus :)

Pappy, it does look like you have had ph issues, but your learning. The little ones look sorta fried from nutes, but the good thing about hydro is you can just dump the res and fix things instantly....well it works the other way too, things can get pretty out of control quickly. I say keep plugging along, your getting it and the most important thing is your learning from your mistakes. I think the little ones will be fine. the ones in flower don't look bad, hopefully they were within the two week window after the flip, if not then your harvest will suffer, but your still gonna get weed bro, so thats the plus :)[/QUOTE

pH issues, ppm issues, leak issues, temperature issues, anger issues, noise issues, germination issues, watering issues, money issues,

BUT I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for checking in, Kraven, much appreciated!
I guess that THRIVE stuff IS food, dammit.
and yup, trimming done within first two weeks but BOY, did I trim, almost all the fans, GONE.

Kraven! Our first fight!
65 - 68 for res temp?
I say that's too cool for roots... I shoot for 68 - 72
Is there a difference between soil and water for root temps?
Don't tell me 68 - 72 is for dirt and 65 - 68 is for water???

My nutes label sez NOT to store the product (in a plastic jug) on concrete floors. Anybody know what that's all about?
Does that mean I shouldn't have my buckets directly on concrete as well?

numbers this morning
5.8 / 330 for the 2 bigger ones
5.8 / 290 for the 2 smaller ones
I added pH'd 5.7 water last night but these ppms are still high compared to your suggestions.
Should I mix up a fresh batch for both?

Kraven! Our first fight!
65 - 68 for res temp?
I say that's too cool for roots... I shoot for 68 - 72
Is there a difference between soil and water for root temps?
Don't tell me 68 - 72 is for dirt and 65 - 68 is for water???

The higher the temp of the water the lower the Dissolved Oxygen content will be. One reason you want to keep the solution temp under 72 is to maintain enough DO in the solution. There is 15% less dissolved oxygen in 73 degree water than 65 degree water, and that can make a big difference to plant health. I shoot to keep my res between 65-68 if possible, @ 72 your running the risk of pythium and other nasty's to be able to set up shop and that will compete with your plant for resources. Pappy lift the net pots and make sure your roots are pure white, no yellow muck or black crap growing anywhere in your system. This is not a fight bro, it is an exchange of ideas which is both healthy and encouraged. I don't have all the answers, and all the answers I give may not be the best ones, I continue to learn every day bro, keep up the good work, your gonna get this man.

I would empty the res and just run pure water for a day, try to help flush the extra salts outa your plants. Then go back at 250ppm and see how they react. Start them off around 5.6 pH and just top off with pH'ed water as the pH rises to 6.2. Allow the res to take this ramp slowly, this should take 3-4 days. What your looking for is the pH to slowly rise as the ppm slowly goes down. @ 7 days you empty the system, clean the res and reset the res @ 5.6 and a ppm of 250. Now if the ppm goes down fast but the pH does not rise much or it starts to go down then you need to up the ppm by 100. If the pH falls and the ppm rises you have the ppms too high. This is the tricky part that you have to get a feel for, is the strain a light feeder, is it finicky, how much food can you push on it before you burn the roots....all of this comes with practice and getting to know a strain and it's pheno's. The MOST important thing is that you DO NOT allow rapid pH swings, that will really mess your plant up, ppm is not the big issue in veg it is pH, if your feeding is light you can always add some but if you go too heavy the damage happens really fast, and cannot be undone. Your gonna get this pappy, I have faith in you, just keep going. DWC is a really hard thing to run and keep regulated, I found that out on my last DWC grow though experience, hence I will never run another DWC, it's just too much of a hassle. I'll be moving to and ebb/flow table and be in coco chunk when i move back into hydro, right now my organic soil grow is really doing well. I wish you the best pappy, your gonna get this just hang in there.

trimmed--- This is not a fight bro, it is an exchange of ideas which is both healthy and encouraged.

oh no, not again, shoot.... Kraven, I'm a kidder, life mostly sucks so I'm always cracking wise.... can't help it, live to laugh :)
I won't fight, I just have a strange sense of humour.

I'm embarrassed you put this much work in to your responses, I'm going to restart both systems as you suggest. Don't feel you have to help out here, seems pretty one-sided to me right now.

I'm off to the coalmine with a copy of your restart post and will henceforth just report readings and what I'm doing. No more questions... Comment if you can but beggars can't be choosers here and I can't share my harvest (not enough hahahaha)

run pure water for a day
>>> tap water, pH to 5.6 and mine is about 90 ppm here

then go back at 250ppm 5.6 pH
top off with pH'ed water as the pH rises to 6.2
(this should take 3-4 days)
pH to slowly rise as the ppm slowly goes down

7 days you empty the system, clean the res
reset (ahah!) the res @ 5.6 and a ppm of 250

if the ppm goes down fast but the pH does not rise, or goes down
then you need to up the ppm by 100
>>> I increase by adding nutes for 350 ppm

if the pH falls and the ppm rises you have the ppms too high.
DO NOT allow rapid pH swings

ppm is not the big issue in veg it is pH

Snipped absolute GOLD here but it's in his post up there.
:goodposting:

...if you go too heavy the damage happens really fast, and cannot be undone.
>>>DAMN!

...hence I will never run another DWC, it's just too much of a hassle.
>>> it sure LOOKED easy :)

I'll be moving to and ebb/flow table and be in coco chunk
>>> rinse, rinse and rinse again

I reduced the post to point form so I could confirm I was understanding okay
and I did the >>> thing up there

Latest posts

Back