Source(s) for DIY LED build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogey8

Very grouchy and ornery today…
Reaction score
I have been doing a fair amount of research on building my own LED. However it looks like LED component suppliers prices make it so you cannot really save much of any building a light at home. I’ve looked at solstrips, quantum boards, a bunch of COB suppliers but it looks like I can go on Amazon and buy what appears to be an assembled LED with a warranty and Meanwell drivers/Cree COBs for prices in the same range as I could build one. I understand wanting to marvel at what you create and learning the how and what but I’d like to do it and feel like I saved some money. If a single mistake is made and something fries, then there is time and money lost. I priced a build at cobkits that looked reasonable until you factor in $40-$55 in shipping and I still needed to find frame material. Amy suggestions for sources where it makes sense to try a project?

You found what i have found. There are a lot of people on other forums that talk building leds but when i price them out, you save 50 to 80 bucks. I would pay 50 bucks for a warranty anyways. Hlg has diy kits .. for a lot more than a spiderfarmer light.

LED prices have come down so much that just buying them with a warranty makes more sense. Unless you just like the DIY aspect. I have been running my King LEDs for a couple of years now and they are still going strong and are relatively cheap.

They thing I like most about the solstrips is that you can custom shape the light to fit your grow space... or at least I was able to do that in my small space...I’m lookin at the spider farmer series for a new veg box I’m thinking about...

@2RedEyes - I know you do the solstrips thing. I spent a some time trying to figure out if I could use 4 strips to light the edges of my tent better but was confused by the cookie sheet thing and cooling aspect. Can these solstrips be hung as standalone lights, like using one driver for 4 strips(and some ugly wiring) to provide better homogeneous illumination at the edges of my tent?

@Lesso - I agree with you on the warranty and also, though I am confident I can build one, I worry that I could have a thermal paste void that might ruin a COB or something so I don’t see the cost benefit.

@Hamster Lewis - you actually sold me on the King 1200 I have and I am happy with it and also I am positive there is no way in h e double hockey sticks I could build a light comparable for even twice the price. I have bought 2 cheapo LED’s with COBs in them in hopes to get white light/full spectrum but for what I paid, I wish I had bought a king 1500 or 2000.

Thanks for the input.

And thx @umbra, I have looked at those sites. The cost/benefit analysis still slants heavily towards Chinese built cheapo lights. If I was growing as an occupation, I may see things differently or even if it would allow me to build a really nice replacement for what I currently have, I might try it. Unfortunately I am pretty sure there is very little options for me to get into the cannabis industry(as a grower, a supplier of edibles/tincture/whatever or building lights) aside from being a laborer because of the bureaucracy (for growing and supplying)and/or the cheap components and labor in Asia(for building any equipment needed). That is kinda sucky but it is the reality. A friend is starting up a legal grow and seeing what he is going thru is a total turnoff. I won’t sell my stuff on anything but a ‘break even/help a brother out’ situation. Can’t afford to get busted for a number of reasons...

I think pretty much all the consumer lights are made in China, including the solstrips...I’m looking at the Chinese spiderfarmer sf-1000 for a cloner or small veg light in a 2x2 space...

Yep. I have read positive reviews on the spiderfarmer lights from the likes of @Lesso and @stinkyattic. The cheapo Growstar S600 light I have (in addition to the King I have) I bought because they have COBs and were dirt cheap. The 2nd one which I got about a week ago is much ‘blurpler’ than the first. Going to complain to Amazon about that...

The spiderfarmer (I have a 2000) uses respected LED components (samsung) and driver (meanwell). It's a nice solid piece of equipment and I expect it to have a long useable lifespan.

Probably my next purchase. Lessos plants look pretty amazing. I look forward to seeing how your spiderfarmer works for you. I think the Mars Hydro white LED’s look interesting too. I think they have both uv and far red LED’s. I have a problem with the company though. I think they used a request for testers of their lights to farm email addresses. I thought they were a legit company but ever since I applied to be a tester, I have been blasted by spam. Should have been smart and used my junk email addy... I am a dummy sometimes...

Shady ... sounds like they should have hired their marketing dept instead of outsourcing lol
My plants are psyched right now, good penetration combined with low minimal required distance to light is a nice balance, especially with multiple strains with different growth habits

I like a quick resolution to a question. If you can afford it, buy spydr, gavita, kind, lush or done of the other high end units or buy cheaper Chinese stuff if you can’t. There are differences but in the end, I can’t DIY it for the same price and have the same quality as buying an assembled unit. Economies of scale...

I think pretty much all the consumer lights are made in China, including the solstrips...I’m looking at the Chinese spiderfarmer sf-1000 for a cloner or small veg light in a 2x2 space...
Love my spiderfarmer light.

I like a quick resolution to a question. If you can afford it, buy spydr, gavita, kind, lush or done of the other high end units or buy cheaper Chinese stuff if you can’t. There are differences but in the end, I can’t DIY it for the same price and have the same quality as buying an assembled unit. Economies of scale...
I was glad i didnt pay full price for my kind led. It was not very efficient. Over priced light in my opinion. The fluence and gavitas look incredible though

Yep. If I hit the lottery or get hit by a truck, I would be happy to use some of the winnings or settlement cash to get a fluence or gavita... ;)

Just checked out that Gavita website...they list everything but the price so I’m pretty sure that eliminates me as a customer...cuz I have to ask....

Latest posts

Back