Southern California round 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie m

LIFE IS GOOD
Reaction score
Hello my friends. So far all my auto plants did great and now I’m ready for my first photo grow. I have outdoor greenhouse and want to know if I treat seeds same way as I did my autos ( germinate then straight to final pot). Should I use propagand? Any tips would sure be appreciated I have all fem seeds

What is propagand? No, i find that smaller pots work better than trying to go into the final pot early. It is easier to water and feed. Yes, i put them right in the dirt. Others germinate with paper towels. Lots of ways to the dank. Let us know how we can help.

Hi Connie when I grew auto’s I heard as well that they don’t really like being transplanted but they do grow better in solo cups at first...what I did is instead of drain holes in the bottom, I cut slots for drainage. Before planting into a 3 gallon pot I just use a scissors to cut between the slots and remove the bottom and plant the whole solo cup in the bigger pot...then later when the plant has grow sufficiently I’ll use scissor to cut down both sides of the cup while it’s still planted and remove each half of the solo cup leaving just the plant...I hope this makes sense...

Thank you much! I have a greenhouse should I germinate inside then move to greenhouse in solo cups then to final pot? Or should I get a seed tray with heat and lamp and leave inside?

Hey Connie !-- U got a light ?- U could start them inside early and move them outside later ? --I would do what they say about seeds !- I grow in water inside !- Seed plants are a pain to me !- I do use a heat mat and dome when I have to mess with seed !--The way I do the plant never knows dirt !-
Listen to Rose and RE and others they know this stuff !

Thanks. I have the Autos down pat thanks to Rosebud and many others -harvested all and lost none. Photo is a whole new game for me so if I start in solo cups do I need to keep them indoors or can I put in greenhouse? If indoors, should I use a clone dome with light and heater until ready for outside? Or should I keeps cups in closet with light ? With autos I went directly to greenhouse after germination. Thanks again!!

It kinda depend on how far north U are !- I'd start them inside and grow them some so they get a jump start on spring - bigger they are when U put them out in spring bigger they be at harvest !-- I run photos that are mostly fast finishing indicas inside !- I been rooting more clones than I need !- Already got some outside gonna put more out !- I want me a big slab of hash come fall !- Been a long time since I grew outside and I'm in Texas the heart of prohibition so it's tricky ! - Couple here dome over there ?

I’m about 30 miles NE of Los Angeles weather is constant 70-80 during this time 5-10 degrees hotter in greenhouse but cools down to about 60ish at night my autos had no problems at all regardless of when I put them out. I’m really looking forward to growing photos

I can't clone autos so they not much use to me !- I run a continuous grow with 2 grow areas --one for veg --one for bloom !- - I grow regular photos then sex them !- Move the girls back to veg then start taking clones !-
I clone from clones after that - Run them over and over again !- I have a White Indica that's over a year old now !-- Still going strong !

I think they will do fine in the temps you mentioned. I like to start in solo cups and move to one gallons then after sexed to the final pot of 5 or 7 gallons for an indoor grow.

Yes I just realized your not growing autos this time...so are your seed feminized or regular...if feminized I’d put them in solo cups under a light until you have several sets of leaves that spread about to the edge of the cup, then transplant to maybe a 3 gallon pot depending on how big you want the plant to grow...(the size of your grow pot usually determines how big the plant will be). About that time you can start transitioning them out to the greenhouse...usually you would set them out several hours a day before leaving them out...I don’t know too much about growing regular non feminized plants outside...outside you have a really long veg season before the shortening day will introduce flowering...that’s a long time to waste not knowing sex...I usually only do fem outdoors of course most growers will use clones so they already know the sex or have flowered and reveged...

Last edited:
You will have some serious trees(a good thing). Most photoperiod strains finish in October or later outdoors if I am not mistaken. I don’t have a greenhouse but there may be ways of forcing flowering sooner. Maybe some greenhouse growers will chime in. If your daughter needs more medicine before then you might consider running an autoflower or 2 as well as the photoperiod plants.

You will have some serious trees(a good thing). Most photoperiod strains finish in October or later outdoors if I am not mistaken. I don’t have a greenhouse but there may be ways of forcing flowering sooner. Maybe some greenhouse growers will chime in. If your daughter needs more medicine before then you might consider running an autoflower or 2 as well as the photoperiod plants.
Much appreciated!!!!

I don’t want to sound stupid but brand spankin new at photos. Can I put solo cups in a closet and buy a particular light to keep above them until they go in the greenhouse?

I’ve kept seedlings under CFL’s. I keep my lights on 24 hours a day. Some people go 18 on 6 off. I personally prefer to veg under high output t5 fluorescent tubes with blue-ish light(I use 10000 kelvin light color and my seedlings stay short and squat which is desirable). The t5’s come in 2 foot and 4 foot. If the plants are in a closet, make sure they get some fresh air. A fan to move the air around the seedlings will help strengthen the plant too.

this is my current seedling setup...just a couple of cfl’s and a fan...I do have a dome that I can put over this if I want to increase the humidity...not on no because I want air movement via the fan...
98CD1EA3-F319-4D71-A977-C0D63E0826F4.jpeg

I don’t want to sound stupid but brand spankin new at photos. Can I put solo cups in a closet and buy a particular light to keep above them until they go in the greenhouse?

You certainly do not sound stupid. Asking questions is an efficient way to learn.

I’ve kept seedlings under CFL’s. I keep my lights on 24 hours a day. Some people go 18 on 6 off. I personally prefer to veg under high output t5 fluorescent tubes with blue-ish light(I use 10000 kelvin light color and my seedlings stay short and squat which is desirable). The t5’s come in 2 foot and 4 foot. If the plants are in a closet, make sure they get some fresh air. A fan to move the air around the seedlings will help strengthen the plant too.
Would something like this work? Do I have to leave in closet or can I keep on counter?
upload_2020-2-16_11-3-4.jpeg

Latest posts

Back