space needed for 12 medium sized soil plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IKE

Reaction score
I can use two 400 watt HPS lites - I will LST so that will require more room for the additional colas to get ample light - what size do you think will do it? Thank you for your kind attention.

prob at least 5' x 5'... but I dont think 2-400's is enough light... I usually run 8-9 in a 4' x 4' tent with a 1000w....

a 1000 is 150,000 lumens... 5000 lumens per sq foot in flower... so a 1000 is good for about 30 square feet max... 5' x 6' which should allow you to fit 3 rows of 4 plants for your 12 count... If your gonna go that large I would suggest a large hood...

i like the hood idea for more light dispersement - i suppose heat would become more of a issue than an air cooled one but I understand an air cooled one would offer only limited light coverage. Hoods are cheaper too.

They make rather large air cooled hoods... but they unfortunately are not very cheap (mainly bc of shipping)... it all depends on your setup and location on if you need air cooled or not... by location I mean if your in canada you can prob get away with out air cooled.... but the reverse if your in florida...

What size of pots are you using? I think if your not planning on vegging them out too long and your using medium size pots you could fit 12 plants in a 4x4 tent and use a dimmable electronic ballast. Use the 600w for the first few weeks of flowering and then switch it to the 1000w for the last few weeks of flowering. If you plan on going bigger then maybe 2 600w lights with air cooled hoods.

KBM said:
What size of pots are you using? I think if your not planning on vegging them out too long and your using medium size pots you could fit 12 plants in a 4x4 tent and use a dimmable electronic ballast. Use the 600w for the first few weeks of flowering and then switch it to the 1000w for the last few weeks of flowering. If you plan on going bigger then maybe 2 600w lights with air cooled hoods.

if you put 12 plants into a 4x4 they better be tiny.... he said that hes planning on LST so theres no way 12 will fit in there...

Why buy an expensive ballast to give your girls 600w instead of 1000w for full flower???? :confused:

If you already have the 2 400w lights then Id prob just add a 600w with the 2-400w and you'll have plenty of light for 12 plants... :icon_smile:

I run 6-8 plants with no LST in a space that is 3 x 6.5 and it gets quite crowded. IMO 12 plants that are LST'd are going to take at least 30 sq ft.

IMO, it doesn't matter where you live, those HIDs get hot and I believe that if you do not get an air cooled reflector you will probably regret it.

Sorry didnt remember the lst part when writing my response. I was thinking a good setup for sea of green
I dont really like parabolic reflectors, I would recommend air cooled hoods. I have a 12sqft tent with a 400w mh and I find temps were getting too hot so I got a air cooled glass tube reflector with a 4" vortex inline fan I find it keeps the temps in range.

you can spend 1000 a pound, or you can spend 100 a pound...your choice...stop over and see irish in link in siggy...;)

i run a 400 over 21 'medium' threes, in a 3x5 complete. pull a pound per grow three to five times per year, depending on if you want to run from seed or clones...go ahead, take a peek...the show is just getting under way good...:D peace...

Latest posts

Back