speedy veg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you rose. my wife and i have been feeding the deer in our back yard for about 20 years and now have a regular herd of give or take 23 at one time--every day. about 2 years ago during winter, i noticed a young buck wandering through the back yard dragging his back right leg. he had apparently been hit by a vehicle or snow plow and it was nearly off. i went out and tried to talked with him (at a distance not to scare him) and poured some food out in front of him so he could see it. he eventually went to it and ate and while there i kept talking softly to him to stay here and heal. of course we both did a great deal of praying for this buck since he surely would become coyote fodder if he went to the deeper woods. i admired his courage and since we had been watching the program, vikings, i named him jarl borg.
long(er) story short he stayed the winter behind the garage and then saw him up and walking on the leg, then trotting, then actually running. it truly was a miracle indeed. now this buck we have is, my guess between 3.5 to 4 years old but very greyed in the face (likely due to pain). when i first saw him, i noticed he was hurt and quite thin, but did not show reluctance in coming to the food--wary mind you, but not spooked. with the binocular, i saw his left rear hoof was swollen twice its size and seems as though he had been shot and he also favoured his right rear leg a mite. his back was arched and was clearly in pain. i slowly approached him and got within 20 yards talking quietly to him and putting the food where he could clearly see it. after going back in the house, he would come to the food and eat--of course since he was injured the older does would come and drive him away from the food, but after a short while and they had gone, he would come back. so i would sneak out to the garage and quietly open the door to get him some food. if quiet enough, he would get it, if not, the others would hear the garage door and immediately come for his food.
after a couple of days we started seeing him 3-4 times a day and he would get within 20 feet of the house and seem to peer into the window--sort of making sure we saw him. at one point i grabbed the binocular and suddenly had an epiphany. i had only known of one deer that had broken a leg and healed---and it was its right rear. this deer had the same broken and healed right rear leg. it had to be jarl borg.
for the past week or so, he was rather aloof and would stay a distance so i started calling out to him by name and he perked his head, and wagged his tail horizontally (meaning he was comfortable). last night he was right at the garage door smelling the door and looking to the house (of course i went out to feed him). he seems to be walking somewhat on that left foot, but is still swollen and has claimed a bedding spot behind the garage like he did before.

I go thru 40 lbs of black oil sunflower seed a month (and 4 suet blocks) and have some of the healthiest squirrels you will ever set eyes on. Mrs Fogey and I are suckers for wildlife...
fogey, we had two pileated woodpeckers here the other day at the same time. in case you aren't aware or don't have them in your area, these are the BIG honkin woody woodpecker birds that make that cackling jungle bird sound.

also, for several years, my wife has been feeding and cultivating (if you will) a bunch of flying squirrels. now we have about 20(?) that we feed peanuts to. both of us have had them take the peanuts out of our hands. really cool little squirrels with big beady eyes. cher (my wife) calls them squirrels on speed. i had taken some pictures of them in the past and will see if i can find them if you like to post.

We have cats that keep us and the squirrels from getting into a friendship unfortunately...
we have one cat (hmm) as well but it does not go outdoors. it's a manx cat--so the woman says, and has a short stumpy tail. i don't have the attachment to cats as she but that goes back to the first marriage. my ex loved cats and we had about four of them in the house. one specifically that i named, skeezix (should have known better) did not like me and used to get on my work bench, shoot my engine parts all over the basement, then urinate in my tool box. needless to say, that didn't go over well.

I have at least one pileated in the woods behind me. They look like they evolved from pterodactyls. Very cool birds.
yeah they are and we were really excited to see them really close to the house. we had ash bores and many of the ash trees tied and were cut down. we can hear them cackling across the road so they must be eating hardy.
do you get black bears at your place as well?

had a black bear take my bird feeders off into the woods a couple of years ago. i find bear scat a few times each year. coyotes and foxes are all over the place and i have seen fisher cats a couple of times.

About a decade ago my dog and me got chased out of the woods by a pack of coyotes. I am thinking we got too close to their den and pups. My 130 lbs American bulldog scooting past me with his tail between his legs was pretty humorous though I would have hoped he’d stay with me in case I got attacked...

If you really are interested in this subject, I will recommend 2 books. They are text books and not a High Times publication.
Hormones, signals, and target cells in plant development by Daphne J Osborne and Michael T McManus
Chemistry of Plant Hormones by Nobutaka Takahashi

I think that Kelp4 less is a big reason we had such a great grow last summer. They sent us a bunch that i didn't order and they didn't want it back. So a guy on staff there took a lot of time to explain what I had and what i should use and what i should not use. I did what he said. Best grow ever last year. What a great company.

Because I thought I had read some scientific literature pertaining to uv light and thc, I did some searching. He following link has some info on it. I read elsewhere that the filter used in the experiment failed to filter out uv a so the study was flawed but only in that it does not eliminate the effect of uv a. Interesting read regardless of which side of the fence you are on. I’m going to keep my uv a supplement going. I don’t have the space (or motivation for that matter) to do my own comparison.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1286/274e9e6a286e8989e7825557ff49ce481759.pdf

We have morning doves, sparrows, red headed woodpeckers, blue jays, at least 5 breeding pairs of cardinals, some grosbeaks, titmouse, mice, chipmunks, squirrels, hawks, barred and horned owls, bears, fox, coyotes and more thatvall congregate by our feeders. It is a circle of life. I try to keep my cats in when the feeders are full of birds/animals feeding. Oh, we get a ton of hummingbirds too. I put out nectar and we have coral bells and jewel weed that they seem to love.

If you really are interested in this subject, I will recommend 2 books. They are text books and not a High Times publication.
Hormones, signals, and target cells in plant development by Daphne J Osborne and Michael T McManus
Chemistry of Plant Hormones by Nobutaka Takahashi
I lol’d about that because I was reading a high times article probably as you were typing your post. Found a version of the first book on archive.org. Haven’t looked for the other one yet.

Latest posts

Back