Spider Farm : )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll give insect soap and Neem oil a try on the DWC plants, but the rest are done. No reason to keep them around at this point.

smart move, the neem will slow them if nothing else...the borg is resistant to just about anything including the kitchen sink...

Dumb question, but what happens at harvest time with infected plants? Can I just chop them, dry them and cure them?

Ordered 6000 Phytoseiulus persimilis for use after the Neem oil spray. The grow room is tiny, and the shop is barely 600 square feet. I'll release a quarter of them in there and the rest in the garden outside. Probably do it again in a month - after the bug bomb, of course.

The tent is empty. Unfortunately, that's not where it started. I assume they are on all the plants in the shop: weed, tomatoes, okra, etc. I have to assume they infest everything in the garden as well. That's where the mother plant was that has the worst infestation. I planted early, and we eat from that garden daily.

I would burn the garden (seriously), but that violates several laws here, as well as the HOA rules : ) From what I've been reading the P. persimilis mites are widely used in greenhouses and crop fields to keep the spider mites in check. Spider mites are their primary food source. They aren't too expensive, so it's worth a try.

We've also had some very unseasonable cold wet weather recently. I'm hoping that has reduced the spider mites in the garden down to the egg stage. From there P. persimilis should be pretty effective.

I guess putting plants outside during the day and bringing them in at night was a really bad idea from the start. I had read a few comments about the danger of bringing these little bastards in, but I didn't really get the message. I will know better in the future.

Salvage what you can and bomb the tent. Then clean it thoroughly with hydrogen peroxide 33%. They are on every plant.
Make sure you wear a good set of goggles. 33% H2O2 will frost your corneas in short order upon contact. You'll see light and dark, but that's about it. Strong stuff.

They make a nice snap, crackle, pop when ya smoke 'em.
Yes they do
1652097810399.png

Make oil or a Tincture. The bugs will not hurt the oil or Tincture. Smoking them sucks. Pop snap and crackle. 😁
Im pretty sure if you have smoked weed for along time you have smoked some bugs.
I would definitely make a topical creme for pain before shitcanning any close to harvest
The decarb in oven will kill them

I am not scared of eating or smoking any bugs , they allow a certain % of insect parts in our foods they sell and certain Meds are made from bugs too.
I much rather smoke a few mites than some of the chemical sprays used today to kill or prevent insects .

So sorry to read all this about your spider mites this morning crash. I have learned a lot from your experience and now am thinking about brining my plants in and out every day for hardening up then putting them back in the tent with the “inside girls“ taking a chance of bringing something in like spider mites in as well. I’m glad that you are taking it well and see it as a learning experience. Thanks so much for posting and good luck and again I’m so sorry for your experience in this grow…😢

Latest posts

Back