Spider Mites on budding plants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10,000ppm Co2 to kill ANY insect, if its possible to contain your grow area, ie tent or plastic sheets taped up to create a tent like area, a simple bottle or bucket with a bit of water and a handful of dry ice set in the center of your tented/tarped off area for about 20min depending on the size should raise your Co2 ppms above 10,000. btw it needs to stay at or over 10,000 ppm for at LEAST 15min to kill everything. its a pretty simple and relatively cheap way to Co2 bomb your grow area, considering MOST places you can buy dry ice sell it for a buck or 2 per pound. and especially now thats its nearing halloween yah should be able to find it a little easier. and my excuse during the rest of the year isnt a far stretch from the truth, if they ask why you need dry ice, simply say you have an indoor vegetable or herb garden thats infested with bugs and your using it to raise the Co2 levels to kill the bugs so you dont have to spray chemicals. they typicaly say ok and wow cuz they learned something new about the product they sell LOL!!!

after thought, i also saw a video on youtube the other day about using this same method slightly modified to kill root insects like root aphids in a DWC system, simply put some water in s bottle, cut/drill a hole near the top on the side of the bottle and stick a hose into it that fits on the intake pipe on the back of the bigger and better air pumps,connect the hose in the bottle to this intake pipe, turn off valves to other non infected DWCs and then drop in some dry ice in the bottle and cap the bottle, as the bottle fills with Co2 gas from the dry ice sublimating the hose higher up hooked to the air pump will suck the Co2 gas in and pump it to your infected DWC bucket via the air stone(s), after about 15-20min everything insect wise living in your bucket will be dead, rinse roots well to get rid of dead bugs and changed out solution in bucket, also hook up everything as normal and your bug problem is solved... i know this is about Spider Mites but hey when yah come across something so simple and effective you just gotta share with others. good knowledge to keep in your back pocket for a rainy day so to speak...

good luck with the Borg

If you are going to use CO2 to kill pests, you must have some kind of monitor so you know the levels. I doubt that you can get to the levels you need with dry ice. Keep in mind that CO2 can also kill people, so be safe with it and use it only with proper monitoring equipment. I would also be a little leery about shooting CO2 into the roots of my plants. I have never seen or heard of root aphids in a DWC system.

root aphids in DWC system, Co2 Experiment to kill root aphids.
part 1 hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fRnY9jul6c
part 2 hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3pyGxMK08
part 3 hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xqRspVW5G0
part one is where he finds how he got roots aphids in the first place, part 2 is the Co2 experiment... the 3rd one really isnt part 3 but it fits, instead of using the pump to push Co2 he opted to use a small chunk of dry ice in each bucket directly, repeated i think he said every 15-20min or so to keep lvls up, after all the dry ice sublimated off and it was clear he walked back in and checked, all dead, he even says its a temporary solution yet a very effective solution, temp since it doesnt kill the eggs, but repeat every few days helps disrupt the life cycle enough you can keep it under controll till harvest, 2-3 weeks for him... idk pretty interesting way of going about this and effective, other videos of harvest after the treatments of dry ice look great, plants didnt seem to be effected by the Co2 in the root zone, remember millions of years ago the earths natural Co2 level was at least 4-5 times what it is today and plants thrived so much more then today.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Don't throw them out. However, I wouldn't treat them with anything. Even if something is safe to use up to the day of harvest doesn't mean that you want it on your plants. Rosemary has a nasty taste that you will, IMO, be able to taste on your buds.

If you are in a place that is arid and your buds are not really dense, you can probably give your plants a shower and wash a bunch of the little critters off. However, mites like living plants to feed off of. When you chop most of them will depart. And like I said, we ingest hundreds (if not thousands) of bug parts (and other nasty things) everyday. The few spider mites that may remain in the bud is insignificant.

:yeahthat: :48:

The Hemp Goddess said:
IMO, it is too late to use anything. SN209 will not get rid of them if you have them and really, this late, virtually anything you use you will be ingesting. And most of it is either dangerous to ingest or it makes the bud taste terrible.

You can still smoke it. Not to gross you out, but you are probably getting less "bug parts" smoking bud that had spider mites than when you eat breakfast cereal.

Ha! This is so true. What the FDA actually allows in our food is mind bending.

Latest posts

Back