Spider mites, why are they so hard to eliminate...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem

Reaction score
I have been growing for about 20 years, and my first 15 years, I had never encountered the feared spider mite and I was confident that in case I do get it, I will be able to deal with it just like I dealt with other pests. One day it appeared, and I tried a lot of methods to deal with it. I always manage to harvest without severe infestation, however, no matter what I do, the mites eventually reappear. I even tried chemical pesticides when I had the chance, 3 times spraying and I put petroleum jelly on the stem. The theory was that if i clean all the leaves that provide food for the mites from my room, that the mites should starve within 2 weeks of warm weather. I was very careful to work on them one plant at a time and I was sure that I had no mites on my plants for a while. However after a while the mites appeared again. So I concluded that they must have survived in my room somewhere. They could easily hide in crevices but what would they feed on while they are active in warm weather? If the plants were toxic and inaccessble for several weeks, how did some mites survive and reappear on my plants? Is it possible to eliminate this bug for good or should i just give up and live with it?

Very good question. The bastards ate up 2 of my tomato plants. Pissed me off to no end. I hate those fkers. I wish i knew what i could do to keep them from getting on my veggies. Its like they come out of nowhere. One minute my plants are kicking ass and the next they are dying from those little bastards. Aphids and White Flies i can always control but Mites are a different story.
Do they hide in the soil in the winter or what?

Reactions: zem
I have had them twice in all my growing years indoors. Both times I got them from a clone's gifted to me. You have to not only kill the adults but the eggs as well.

Azamax or similar in veg 3 or 4 times every other day will do the trick. If you get them in flower god help you indoors. They can somewhat be controlled and you can get them to harvest most of the time but it is gonna be a lot of work.

I have never had Russet mite and I hope I never do.

I have had them twice in all my growing years indoors. Both times I got them from a clone's gifted to me. You have to not only kill the adults but the eggs as well.

Azamax or similar in veg 3 or 4 times every other day will do the trick. If you get them in flower god help you indoors. They can somewhat be controlled and you can get them to harvest most of the time but it is gonna be a lot of work.

I have never had Russet mite and I hope I never do.
I have spider mites in flower in my outdoor greenhouse. I got some pyganic but worried I won’t get them all because they have everywhere to hide in those buds.
I know you need to control at least 4 cycles of hatching.
I can’t find anything on how often to re apply?
Any info appreciated!

If you have an outdoor green house I would try lady bugs. They love the taste of mites. Natural predators are your friends.
Our local nursery didn’t get them this year
There is a shortage I guess.
I ordered 300 on Amazon and those took 8 weeks to get here.
But every one I find I put in there lol.

They got me scared about getting them inside though.
I shower and change after touching my outdoor plants before I ever walk into my grow room indoors.

If you have an outdoor green house I would try lady bugs. They love the taste of mites. Natural predators are your friends.
The ladybug is a good broad spectrum predator. There are predatory mites that are more thorough but target specifically spider mites. They are great for outdoors but I guess they will not be easy to eliminate my indoor problem at 100%

I have spider mites in flower in my outdoor greenhouse. I got some pyganic but worried I won’t get them all because they have everywhere to hide in those buds.
I know you need to control at least 4 cycles of hatching.
I can’t find anything on how often to re apply?
Any info appreciated!
depends on heat. The warmer the faster the cycle.

eggs...those eggs can live on over the winter and hatch out in the spring

flies can bring them in

forget ladybugs unless you have a million , even on aphids ladybugs can’t keep up unless you have a bizillion of them...I tried

pyganic will keep them knocked back really good and it is safe right up to harvest, I e done the Pyganic two years in a row and that stuff is a lifesaver against UN-friendly cannabis bugs

not my plant but every ganja growers nightmare!

79347948-4E68-48A8-839D-5FB5A10844D4.jpeg

The ladybug is a good broad spectrum predator. There are predatory mites that are more thorough but target specifically spider mites. They are great for outdoors but I guess they will not be easy to eliminate my indoor problem at 100%

remember that predator mites need at least a constant 40% humidity or will die....it’s way to dry out on the high plains to use predator mites

eggs...those eggs can live on over the winter and hatch out in the spring

flies can bring them in

forget ladybugs unless you have a million , even on aphids ladybugs can’t keep up unless you have a bizillion of them...I tried

pyganic will keep them knocked back really good and it is safe right up to harvest, I e done the Pyganic two years in a row and that stuff is a lifesaver against UN-friendly cannabis bugs

not my plant but every ganja growers nightmare!

View attachment 277464
well I tried to eliminate then in summer when it was warm and they still were able to reproduce an infestation...

Thank god mine aren’t that bad. I’ve been chasing them around a 6 ft plant for weeks now with captain Jack’s dead bug. But it’s time for chemical warfare now!

good
remember that predator mites need at least a constant 40% humidity or will die....it’s way to dry out on the high plains to use predator mites
info. it rarely ever gets to 40s here, for sure not in summer, more like 80 here lol

Thank god mine aren’t that bad. I’ve been chasing them around a 6 ft plant for weeks now with captain Jack’s dead bug. But it’s time for chemical warfare now!
If I am right that is Spinosad! Great for thrips but not mites. But can't be used sparingly in flower.

Reactions: zem
image.jpg

You are correct. Soo I shouldn’t use it lol!
Already did

Latest posts

Back