Spider Mites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusible

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know spider mites are no good for plants- but why exactly is that so? I know it's sick to be smoking webs and bugs, but I was wondering if an infestation affects the potency and or yield? I am now entering my sixth week and its looking like they've got quite the population built up. I don't really want to harvest early, but I'm not sure if these sprays ive been using (safers insecticidal soap) can help now.. Can anyone please help? Some of the plants even look like the THC is getting sucked off or something... the tip of the buds are kinda yellowing....>??!?!!!
They're to the point where you can see a bunch of spiders hanging from some the webs in a big group ball....

fusible said:
Hey guys, I know spider mites are no good for plants- but why exactly is that so? I know it's sick to be smoking webs and bugs, but I was wondering if an infestation affects the potency and or yield? I am now entering my sixth week and its looking like they've got quite the population built up. I don't really want to harvest early, but I'm not sure if these sprays ive been using (safers insecticidal soap) can help now.. Can anyone please help? Some of the plants even look like the THC is getting sucked off or something... the tip of the buds are kinda yellowing....>??!?!!!
They're to the point where you can see a bunch of spiders hanging from some the webs in a big group ball....
Whats up fusible. Sorry didn't see this sooner but had a long weekend. I have never had them but what i know is they will kill your plants. I would try and do a search in here and see what comes up. Here ya go http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3316&highlight=spider+mites

:eek: I guess im going to have to harvest early :( .... Why did these little bastards have to take over so heavily? My plants were forming some gorgeous bud dammit!!!! Dam Mites put all that time to waste, 5th week bud doesnt sound so good.... oh well, live n learn. I guess I gotta be more careful later. Thanks for the advice TBG, always great help!! :) .. BTW how did that early widow mother u picked last time smoke?

fusible said:
:eek: I guess im going to have to harvest early :( .... Why did these little bastards have to take over so heavily? My plants were forming some gorgeous bud dammit!!!! Dam Mites put all that time to waste, 5th week bud doesnt sound so good.... oh well, live n learn. I guess I gotta be more careful later. Thanks for the advice TBG, always great help!! :) .. BTW how did that early widow mother u picked last time smoke?
Whats up fusible. I think the trick with spider mites is the sooner you can detect them the easier it is to get rid of them. The White Widow mother bud is killer. I would have never expected it to be that good but it's better than the other Widow i grew and i let her go the full 56 days before harvest. She was a genetic freak of nature and i'm glad i took clones of her and kept another one as a mother. Anyway i hope that your early harvest turns out good man. ;)

spider mites seriously ****.ive had them on my crops and if left unchecked they will **** the life out of your plants and kill them.
a good way to detect there webs is to mist your plants with water and if there are webs there youll see them.
mites live on the under side of the leaf and they eat it.
ive found the best way to get rid of an infestation is to spray the under side of your leafs with neem every 4 days for a couple of weeks then cut it back to once a week .
i spray once a week from the time my clones have roots,through vegging and up until buds have formed then i stop the spraying.
spider mites should not be under estimated,ive lost an entire crop because of them but the neem oil works well,7ml to 1l of water will take care of them.

water with a drop of washing up liquid in a sprayer and cover completely including unsedside of leaves.i actually remove any big leaves as its easier to spray and hey

i too have the bastards againa nd im at 5 weeks in flower of 8 week strain just done mine with wetting agent aka washing up liquid imeo.

good luck dude

pkj

I'm betting they were still in your room from the previous infestations that you've posted about. They just aren't getting bad enough, enough numbers, that you notice them untill well into flower. Then it's too late to properly treat them.
I fought them for 2-3 grows with NPS, neem, pyrethins, predators and environmental controls. Only to find that I was essentially breeding a "super" mite, resistant to those forms of treatment.
I finally found a small amount of AVID. Followed the instructions to the letter, diluted and treated by drenching the entire plant, taking care to get the undersides of leaves well. Three treatments, three days aoart, plus a total cleaning of the room, light fixtures, fans, bulbs, walls, with a weakened solution of Clorox.
Haven't had a mite since.

If you haven't already chopped, try to knock down the population by using a vacuum cleaner. Time consuming but worth trying imo.

It's essential to elimate mites before going into flowering.
Cutting the light down to 12/12 makes the plants think it's fall and time to start the reproduction process.
Mites react the same way. They start reproducing like crazy.
A handful of pregnant mites present at the onset of 12/12 can translate into thousands in 4 weeks.
You can harvest early but that means smoking webs, dead mites and their eggs.

I feel for ya; I've experienced the same thing (twice).

P.S. like Hick said, mites build up a resistance to the same insecticide used repeatedly.
I remember using one brand of insecticide to get rid of whitefly's. The first spray killed most of them.But a few had a resistence to it. They lived and bred and their progeny had the same resistence.
6 weeks later, anfter constant spraying, the insecticide I was using had no effect on them whatsoever--I might as well have sprayed with water.

I have 3 different types of insecticide. At the first sign of mites I use one, then ther next day plain water, the next day a different insecticide followed by a day of palin water, the next day the 3rs type of insecticide,followed by a day of water and then contin ue this pattern for 3 weeks.

do spider mites come from soil or where the heck do you run into this sort of problem

Latest posts

Back