spider mites?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never mind that question. i confirmed that i have a spider mite infestation. what do you folks do the get rid of them? azamax? spinosad? or sumpin' different? thanks. of8...

The spots do look suspicious.

Get a magnifying glass. Get a sheet of white paper. Lightly shake the stem of a possibly infested leaf over the white sheet of paper. Look at the paper with the magnifying glass. The paper will make the spider mites show up more easily. If you see them, you have them. I hope you don't.

Good Luck!

i do have them, burnin1. what do you find works best to get rid of them or am i screwed?

i used an eye loupe. i can see the little buggers...

Go to a grow shop and get some Avid or anything containing pyrethoids. Apply once every five days while in veg state.
Any severely infested leaves should be removed.

spidermites-5.jpg

Last edited:
cool. thanks, burnin1. i will head there today.

Are you sure they aren't thrip? you actually say a mite? I use SNS products. Organic. That looks like thrip damage to me not spider mite.
If you want that infor i will share..

If it is really sm i am so sorry you have the borg. Clean everything, most of us have been there and it sucks, but do able.

i guess i will have to take a closer look-see. i saw a couple of creepy crawlies. i don't see any webs so maybe that means thrips. i am going to need to do a bit more research. thanks rose.

Spidermites usually start at the bottom leaves and work their way up the plant. Thrips will have an elongated body type when you see them.
Did you see any webbing? With that much leaf damage it would be noticeable. I think Rosebud is right, this may be thrips. Because thrips have developed a resistance to many common pesticides horticultural oils or insecticidal soaps may be the way to go.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
i've seen no webs. are thrips the good kinda bad? a 'it could be a whole lot worse' scenario?

Thrips are bad but not as bad as spider mites. You might think about getting some blue sticky traps to hang in your grow as a first alert system. Thirps suck the life out of the leaves. Get rid of them. You can start with soap, but you have to keep a good eye out or they will be back.

Both are not good for your plants. Spider Mites can be especially devastating.
pics
th

th

Thrip Pic
th

I hope this helps.

i took a good look. the bug-ses are spider mites...

does diatomaceous earth work on these?

no......... you best know........ get ready for war.

Yep it will be a war thats for sure!!

I have used SNS209 for a few years, works good.

Problem is that I find bugs (mites especially) build up a resistance to alot of the sprays and chemicals used to kill/deter them.

I would recommend using SNS209 as the infantry in your assault, then have a few backups (liquid ladybug, etc) as the artillery fire to support your campaign against the infestation.

Rotating methods can help prevent mites from building up a resistance to one form of treatment to another.

Hope I was of some help to you, and best of mojo to you and your fight!

Oh, and by no means do this until someone else chimes in here....but I have found with my veggies that a mix of 10:1 isopropyl alcohol/water mix sprayed on the leaves at night would eradicate any infestations I ever had outside. I do it at night, so by the time light hits the leaves the alcohol has long been evaporated.

Never tried it on MJ, so I dont wanna act like I did.....I was always afraid to kill my plants....but it NEVER has been an issue with my veggies.

SNS 209 is meant to prevent infestations. If you have an active infestation as you have, I would recommend SNS 217. That is the treatment for active mites. Then when they are gone, use SNS 209 to prevent infestation.

I appreciate all the advice. I will fight the good fight I hope.

Latest posts

Back