Splitting the stem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't super cropping similar? After super cropping, the damaged branch grows back stronger right?

You know, some of these "little tricks" aren't so little after all, they can make HUGE differences. Love it !

Great information all, thanks. I might try splitting next grow. The folks that taught me to use a trellis net (a "little" HUGE thing) also recommend splitting.

The Panama Indians did this to the extreme and some say it's how Panama Red was created... splitting the stem causes stress and their plants reacted with Red stems and into the buds.

Another thing they'd do is dip the stick in opium before putting it thru the stem. but yeah, it's a form of stress during flowering and done right the plant reacts in a positive.

Supercropping: I do this to all my plants. It can be as simple as pinching each growing stem to pinching, twisting and even breaking branches to control height. every break causes a knuckle to form and once it heals above it takes off like crazy. Soma really covers it in his grow book...

Looks dangerous to me. Fulvic acid(a type of humic acid) has worked well for making denser(aka heavier) buds for me. Looks like you grow well but if you have a plant you are prepared to sacrifice if things go south, it is always good to learn by ‘doing’. I super crop as some others have commented on here but do it because sometimes some stems grow too tall. I never noticed any difference in the bud quality though some people have.

edit: because autocorrect is my nemesis and changed ‘humic’ to ‘humid’…

Last edited:
Looks risky, and probably results in stabbed fingers. Maybe it just needs blood to improve the yield...
I did and it ended badly
R.bed4dbc655e7e17bf7abe2c1acc2b984

There are a lot of ‘tricks’ in growing. Some are ‘treats’. Some are ‘razor blades in an apple’. My brother heard from someone that carbonated water would help his plants. The theory being that plants need CO2. I am not a biologist but I know CO2 is used in photosynthesis thru the leaves not the roots. In addition to that I told him he would likely screw up the pH of his soil(he is growing organically and low pH and CO2 would likely kill the microherd). I believe that would have been a ‘razor blade in his apple’ though I couldn’t say either way from experience.

I just noticed this is in the beginner section? Wouldn't this be considered an advanced technique?
Naw, anyone that's advanced doesn't mess with this kinda thing. They grow weed for fun and profit.

When I started growing weed in my home, I knew nothing about it. But thanks to the Internet, I found a lot of useful information about it. It was especially difficult to find the right lamps to speed up growth. But I found amazing lamps at an affordable price; you can find more info. Growing marijuana at home is very profitable; most importantly, you can smoke pot anytime. I think marijuana should be legalized worldwide because it is a good product that positively affects people.

When I started growing weed in my home, I knew nothing about it. But thanks to the Internet, I found a lot of useful information about it. It was especially difficult to find the right lamps to speed up growth. But I found amazing lamps at an affordable price; you can find more info. Growing marijuana at home is very profitable; most importantly, you can smoke pot anytime. I think marijuana should be legalized worldwide because it is a good product that positively affects people.
Hey welcome Marly
Were you over At GC for a long time

Anyone ever heard of this? Got it off the ILGM page…

BONUS: Split the stem
There is one method of increasing the yield of your marijuana plants that not everyone knows about — splitting the stem. This will help your plants’ buds be heavier and denser and will improve THC production as well.

This technique is exactly what it sounds like — it involves splitting the stem of your marijuana plant right at the bottom. It likely originated in China and Southeast Asia.

Split the stem more thc
Split the stem more thc
Split the stem increase yield
To be successful with the stem splitting technique, start out by tying the stem right at the base, just above the soil. Tie a second rope or cable tie a couple inches above that. Take a very sharp knife and cut from the top tie to the bottom tie. There should be one vertical cut that is a few inches in length.

The knife should remain inside until you have a pencil, chopsticks, or other objects to replace it with to keep both sides of the marijuana plant from touching each other. Remove the knife partially and rotate it to allow the chopstick or pencil enough space. Leave the ties in place, so the damage does not spread.

ILGM_Split-the-stem.jpg

The thing about splitting the stem is that it is a tricky technique to master, so you should only try it on one plant per growing season until you are confident you’ve gotten it down. Apply this technique a few days or a week before harvest, not sooner.

Produce more THC
The purpose of stem splitting is to disturb the flow of nutrients and water right at the base of the stem. Because of this, the plant will start producing more trichomes and more THC. Trichomes are responsible for making heavier, denser buds that are just better overall, so you can see why this is a useful technique. All cannabinoids are created in the trichomes.

Anyone ever heard of this? Got it off the ILGM page…

BONUS: Split the stem
There is one method of increasing the yield of your marijuana plants that not everyone knows about — splitting the stem. This will help your plants’ buds be heavier and denser and will improve THC production as well.

This technique is exactly what it sounds like — it involves splitting the stem of your marijuana plant right at the bottom. It likely originated in China and Southeast Asia.

Split the stem more thc
Split the stem more thc
To be successful with the stem splitting technique, start out by tying the stem right at the base, just above the soil. Tie a second rope or cable tie a couple inches above that. Take a very sharp knife and cut from the top tie to the bottom tie. There should be one vertical cut that is a few inches in length.

The knife should remain inside until you have a pencil, chopsticks, or other objects to replace it with to keep both sides of the marijuana plant from touching each other. Remove the knife partially and rotate it to allow the chopstick or pencil enough space. Leave the ties in place, so the damage does not spread.

ILGM_Split-the-stem.jpg

The thing about splitting the stem is that it is a tricky technique to master, so you should only try it on one plant per growing season until you are confident you’ve gotten it down. Apply this technique a few days or a week before harvest, not sooner.

Produce more THC
The purpose of stem splitting is to disturb the flow of nutrients and water right at the base of the stem. Because of this, the plant will start producing more trichomes and more THC. Trichomes are responsible for making heavier, denser buds that are just better overall, so you can see why this is a useful technique. All cannabinoids are created in the trichomes.
Maybe I'll try this on a future plant.

Latest posts

Back